HybridZ

MSA Electric Fan and Hardware Advice Needed

S30TRBO

I have MSA radiator that I got for a steal years ago brand new:

large167020.jpg

I have not purchased an electric fan kit for it. Since I will be running TEC 3 and I know the TEC 3 will control it I am looking for an electric fan and seen the one offered for my radiator on MSA's site.

large167052b.jpg

The price for the electric fan is $150 and since they don't list how much cfm it pushes has anyone used it or is there something else better?

I also seen the electric fan mounting kit for $50 which they recommend over a fan tie kit for my radiator or it will void my warranty.

large167053.jpg

Buy it or is there something else that I can piece together?

Thanks,

It seems to be the 16 inch one and according to summit racing it pulls 2175cfm (it's also cheaper at summit):

http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=DER%2D16516&N=700+300458+115&autoview=sku

But the amp draw does seem a little excessive at 18.4 amps.

Currently I'm running a 14 inch perma cool fan as a pusher (and as my only fan) and it seems to be doing its job quite well, it's 2950cfm and it only draws 9.5 amps:

http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=PRM%2D19114&N=700+115&autoview=sku

As for the mounting kit, it's actually pretty simple to make your own, I just used some aluminum bars my dad had laying around and it's quite sturdy, wouldn't know about the warranty though.

• 1 month later...

sorry for reviving a 2 month old thread, but i would like to confirm that the 16" fan will fit on the stock (240)Z radiator, because i heard conflicting information.....?

EDIT - i'm pretty sure the answer is YES it does fit, because i read it in another thread.

Well, since it's back up, I'll add my .02 and say I never liked a single fan for anything. I put dual 10" units on...

Chances of two fans failing when controlled through separate relays is pretty remote.

Though the 3.8L Taurus Fan is a nice unit, looks stock, is cheap at the JY, and can be replaced at any Ford Dealership...

Beware, though, it MOVES air, and will draw 30 Amps when running.

There is no free lunch, you want a good fan, you will draw amps.

And I figure the Ford OEM unit is at least 'OEM Torture Tested' so figure it will be 100K reliable...

Define "Major Modification"

I didn't find it 'major' in the leat bit, thought the caveat I noted (amperage) will call for quality relays controlling it, as well as a good charging system.

There are some Taurus fans that are not configured like the 3.8L V6 unit, and I can't speak to their fittment. Getting the damned thing out of the Ford Chassis was harder than installing it in my Z!

^ but unfortunately the taurus fan will not work with the L6 without major modification (read it in another thread here)

i definitely like the 2x10 setup, and now that i know it will fit on the radiator....

major mod. = fail.... its quite simple... ive put them in v-8 7's, mulitple 240sx's and stock rx-7's it takes a lil cuttin and a lil addapting nothing you cant figure out... :mrgreen:

Define "Major Modification"

I didn't find it 'major' in the leat bit, thought the caveat I noted (amperage) will call for quality relays controlling it, as well as a good charging system.

There are some Taurus fans that are not configured like the 3.8L V6 unit, and I can't speak to their fittment. Getting the damned thing out of the Ford Chassis was harder than installing it in my Z!

i had read in another thread that it had to be trimmed A LOT..... maybe it was a different year taurus fan...?

here's that thread:

http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=101913&highlight=taurus

Like Cap Jack said, a little cutting on a 3.8L V6 Taurus Fan Shroud and it looks like it was a Nissan Product! Some other fans may require more attention, or maybe my definition of 'a lot' is different than other people's. You might want to take a look, and not discount something out-of-hand before judging firsthand for yourself. A Taurus fan is a saleable commodity if you think it's not your bag of tea---you won't have to sit on it long. It's a junkyard part anyway, just keep the cost low and if you don't like the way it looks when you hold it up there, sell it!

I have dual 10" fans on one of the other cars, because at the time the single didn't move enough air. I would put nothing on there that didn't move at least 5000CFM to give it cycle time.

I find my cars usually run about 30-35mph in top gear on the hottest days before the temperature will rise above thermostat control, meaning the radiator is not rejecting the heat. If you figure the stock S30 Radiator has about 2 square feet of surface area exposed to airflow, and 30 mph is half of 60mph (5280 linear feet per minute) you come up with 5280 Cubic Feet per minute that should be able to pass across the radiator at 30mph...

Figure if I start overheating without a fan at that speed, I should have a fan that moves at least that much or I will have something that will overheat. As it turned out, it cycles nicely only when I'm in stop-n-go. Never have a fan coming on at anything above 30 mph, no matter how hot it's getting.

Similar for the Taurus Fan, it cycles, and like someone said in another post, High Speed is probably overkill for most applications. But I like the fan to come on, COOL IT DOWN, and then shut off. I use an 80Amp relay to switch it...I found the amperage rating of most relays is a surge rating, and when you put a 30Amp fan that draws 30 amps on a 30Amp (name brand begins with a "B") relay, they pretty much don't last very long at all, and get HOT as hell. Using the same manufacturer's 80 amp relay (bigger contacts and spades on the bottom) gives flawless operation.

Cost for the Taurus Fan is a factor as well. For $30 at the junkyard, I could literally pull it out, remount it in a frame I weld together from scraps, and be happy I didn't spend big bucks on something that may or may not work.

If you get those CFMs mentioned above, you should be O.K., I'd simply not trust what a Fan OEM says about what it will cool or not. I'll make my decision on the CFM it moves and go from there. Got burned by manufacturers claims before, and since figuring out the CFM thing, haven't had a bad application yet!