HybridZ

Smoked Tail Lights??

I know about the smoked headlight covers, but I was wondering if any of you guys know if theres any smoked tail lights? I want to replace my red lights for black on my 280Z. I think it would match the black back and the chrome frame around the lights. Tell me what u guys think

Thanks

I don't know about the availability of covers but I have painted lights in the past. I painted and wet sanded a pair of honda lights for a friend to eliminate the orange. They came out killer, the trick is to put thin, even coats of paint. I have also used transparent paint from a hobby shop that is used on models to paint lights. You may want to look into something light that. Try looking for "transparent glass paint". This would be completely illegal for sure. Also keep safety in mind if this car is on the street, especially at night.

you can get smoke vinyl and put it on. wasy. I actually like it more the paint cause its not messy and easy to apply. the material is not that expensive. the only thing that cost the most is labor. just did a scion TC and charge them 150 plus material

• 1 year later...

I just tinted my tail lights today and it took all of about 45 minutes. I cleaned the lights off really good and applied about 3 coats of the hobby store tint spray. The built in reflector still shows up when light hits it. The tails light up very well also. I highly recommend using the hobby shop spray. I will get pics up tomarrow.

maybe i'm just saying this because i work at a body shop but you guys seem to be making it way harder than it is. just mix up some clear and put tiny drops of straight black paint in it. and when i say tiny, i mean tiny. the slightest bit will make a bigger difference than you will notice at first.

...you guys seem to be making it way harder than it is. just mix up some clear and put tiny drops of straight black paint in it...

Dude, buying a can of tint is the easiest/fastest and cleanest way to do it, unless I am missing something. A color tint might be best doing it that way, but otherwise, sell me a can of tint :D

Davy

The man can ticket you and have your car TOWED if he wants to, he could say your car is not legal for street use. It is a federal statute that requires the red reflectors. If you look around at some of the new cars with the clear tail lights you will see the red reflectors on the lower part of the bumper. Also if you are rear ended in an accident they could say it was your fault due to the darkened tail lights.

Dude, buying a can of tint is the easiest/fastest and cleanest way to do it, unless I am missing something. A color tint might be best doing it that way, but otherwise, sell me a can of tint :D

Davy

well yeah, that would actually be easiest. but, i say that because you can make it darker or lighter depending on your own desire.

The man can ticket you and have your car TOWED if he wants to, he could say your car is not legal for street use. It is a federal statute that requires the red reflectors. If you look around at some of the new cars with the clear tail lights you will see the red reflectors on the lower part of the bumper. Also if you are rear ended in an accident they could say it was your fault due to the darkened tail lights.

I have actually been getting kinda nervous about mine because they are BLACK. I think i'm gonna take a layer off and lighten them up.

....but it doesn't necessarily mean the reflectors much be integrated in the tail lights, right? I'm all for safety and I would hate to have someone rear end my parked Z because they "couldn't see it." That would suck.

I have actually been getting kinda nervous about mine because they are BLACK. I think i'm gonna take a layer off and lighten them up.

What about adding some stealthy reflectors in the back of the car to make up for the lack of them in the tail lights? It seems that would pacify the man in most cases. Just some thoughts...

Davy