HybridZ

Holy crap, it actually started!!!

:2thumbs: Congrats!! Thanks for keeping us posted. Maybe a video of the car doing a smokey burnout later??

Davy

No doubt there will be a smokey burnout soon. I warned my neighbor last night I was going to fire it up so he didn't think the world was ending from the noise. He's an old car guy too so I knew it would be cool with him.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

congrats!! car sounds great, powerful and smooth. and BTW, we are never too old to play with HotRods, you look my age Dale, i'm 27 and still playin with them :) LOOOOL

ROTFLMAO...27??? I have socks older than that! When I was 27 I had a '70 390 AMX and street racing every Friday night in Dayton Ohio.

Congrats Dale! Sounds great.

Jody

Thanks for all your help Jody. I have a Camaro question. There are 2 switches which I think were both run off the brake pedal. Yeah, yeah, label everything and take pictures, LOL. The blue one with the 2 connectors and a bunch of wires I understand, but the other one (its white) I have no clue. Is it for the cruise control? I have a couple more "mystery" wires as well.

LOL, some days I feel like I'm too old to be playing with hotrods, but its still fun and that all than matters.

Nope... you are not to old... You are only 5 months older than me.... Geeez...maybe you are to old..:mrgreen:

I have a 1960 Falcon, 428SCJ with nitrous, and guys our age grew up messing with hot rods. It never seems to leave the blood. Remember the fun years of 1965, with the 389 GTO, 427 Fairlane, and 426 Road runner. Well I had the 427 Ford Fairlane...

2965_thumb.attach

Nope... you are not to old... You are only 5 months older than me.... Geeez...maybe you are to old..:mrgreen:

I have a 1960 Falcon, 428SCJ with nitrous, and guys our age grew up messing with hot rods. It never seems to leave the blood. Remember the fun years of 1965, with the 389 GTO, 427 Fairlane, and 426 Road runner. Well I had the 427 Ford Fairlane...

It does seem like the gearhead bug never leaves. Mine took a few years off when i started scuba diving but resurfaced about 2 years ago.

Nice red Z, I've been thinking about adding those Corvette louvers to mine. Wasn't it Harley Earl that said something like "someday all cars will have holes in their fenders" when someone asked about the Buick fender portholes?

Dale,

Congrats, fellow geezer (you outrank me by exactly ten days!)

Mind telling us what tricks you did to get the computer to work? Aside from the VATS thing, for instance have you already tuned the missing emissions things, powersteering sensors, a/c, etc., out of the computer? The engine sounded quite smooth and regular; are you using the original Z-28 tune? Do you have a code reader and did it throw any trouble codes?

Keep up the steady progress!

Cheers -- Gary

Dale,

Congrats, fellow geezer (you outrank me by exactly ten days!)

Mind telling us what tricks you did to get the computer to work? Aside from the VATS thing, for instance have you already tuned the missing emissions things, powersteering sensors, a/c, etc., out of the computer? The engine sounded quite smooth and regular; are you using the original Z-28 tune? Do you have a code reader and did it throw any trouble codes?

Keep up the steady progress!

Cheers -- Gary

I had a friend reprogram the PCM, what a guy. He did some tweaking, don't have the info here, I will edit this when I get home.

Changes made:

WOT blocker

This is a tuner trick used for modified cars, but also helps with stock programs. It locks the BLM's at 128 at WOT. Keeps idle corrections in BLMs from altering the entire range of fuel correction.

Performance shift points were enabled (some of the F-body cars came with a performance shift switch, it just holds the lower gears a little more on hard acceleration and bumps the line pressure a little. This is not anywhere near a shift kit level of performance, it is just a bump in stock performance)

EGR, CCP, A/C sensor pressures, traction control were all disabled

Raised the rev limiter to 6400 RPMS

Gears 3.54 and 215-50-17 tires programmed

Lowered the fan temps to 179 and 197. This is usually where the fan temps

get programmed to when you add a 160 thermostat, which I highly recommend

you do.

I installed a new optispark just before I pulled the engine from the donor car, I have new spark plugs and wires and added a cold air system. Other than that its totally stock with over 100K on the engine. Long term plans are to build another engine for it with maybe some goodies. I just picked up a LT1 scanmaster I will be installing which will give me to see if the car is rich or lean, monitor knock, and look at 25 other parameters (including trouble codes) that the PCM controls. This unit also has a recall mode that will record the lowest O2 reading, (lean spot), and the highest amount of knock that happens during a run. It will also tell you the MPH that these two events occurred at so you have some idea what to do to correct the problem. This unit is designed to work on 1994 thru 1997 LT1 powered cars (no trouble codes on 1996 version).

From another old geezer...WAY to go Dale!!!!

I have been watching your progress as I am also about 4 months behind with my LT1/T56 swap.

Yeah, I always tinkered with hotrods but this is different for sure!

Not as easy as the Turbo GN motor in the VW Bus I did 25 years ago.

70 AMX one of my favorites, I was running a 396 SS 68 Camaro at that time.

Greg

From another old geezer...WAY to go Dale!!!!

I have been watching your progress as I am also about 4 months behind with my LT1/T56 swap.

Yeah, I always tinkered with hotrods but this is different for sure!

Not as easy as the Turbo GN motor in the VW Bus I did 25 years ago.

70 AMX one of my favorites, I was running a 396 SS 68 Camaro at that time.

Greg

I am surprised by the number of "old geezers here". I guess hot rodding is like many other hobbies, it takes money and old geezers have more expendable money (if there really is such a thing) than young people. I know I sure do.

One of my friends had a 396 Camaro, scary fast car. We had a lot of good runs but he mostly took me because of the AMX's lack of dead stop traction, at least that was my excuse, LOL. I could almost always take him in a 30 mph kick down, that was right at the AMX's torque peak.

I got the tranny line leaks fixed tonight. Tomorrow I will install the diff flange and attempt to measure for the driveshaft.

Good luck with your project, it sure takes some time!

Thanks Dale,

I'm ok with the mechanical stuff it is the wiring that has me worried. I have printed out every LT1/T56 wiring thread I could find on this site so far and now I will sift through it all to see if it makes sense. There are only a couple 76 280Z's with LT1 in them and they seem to have been done back in 2003 or so, so all the posted picture links no longer work!

Yeah I loved that 396, heads by Ed Pink (elephant) Offy Hi Rise, Dual 750 Dp, Isky cam and rockers etc. I would love to have it now!

I bet you would love to have that AMX again as well.

Of course I would still be doing the Hybrid Z as well (:-))

I can spend some serious time on the Z this weekend, IT'S FATHER'S DAY WEEKEND and I get todo what I want! YAHOOOO!

Thanks Dale,

I'm ok with the mechanical stuff it is the wiring that has me worried. I have printed out every LT1/T56 wiring thread I could find on this site so far and now I will sift through it all to see if it makes sense. There are only a couple 76 280Z's with LT1 in them and they seem to have been done back in 2003 or so, so all the posted picture links no longer work!

Yeah I loved that 396, heads by Ed Pink (elephant) Offy Hi Rise, Dual 750 Dp, Isky cam and rockers etc. I would love to have it now!

I bet you would love to have that AMX again as well.

Of course I would still be doing the Hybrid Z as well (:-))

I can spend some serious time on the Z this weekend, IT'S FATHER'S DAY WEEKEND and I get todo what I want! YAHOOOO!

Check Shoe Box http://shbox.com/ if you haven't already. There are a lot of wiring schematics there. I bought the factory shop manual for my donor car, its been a huge help. I am using the entire z28 harness and have had some issues wiring the Datsun controls to the Z28 harness. So far the engine stuff all works, gauges work, lights work.I still need to wire in the turn signals and brake lights. Problem there is the Z28 runs everything through the hazard switch which is in the steering column and I'm not using that. I think I have it figured out using a 4PDT switch, we'll see. I also totally wired in the wipers wrong, gotta investigate what I did there.

The engine stuff was pretty easy since I'm using the Z28 interior harness all I had to do was plug it in and fake out the VATS resistor.

If you have any wiring questions PM me maybe I can help. I have made some simplfied schematics for the way I wired stuff. But again I'm using the Z28 harness so they might not work with the Z harness.