HybridZ

What to do with the 810

S30TRBO

I have come to the realization that the 810 does not want to leave me or in other words I can't sell her because only I can appreciate her good looks.

Anyway, so the girlfriend and I have been wrenching on her to get her road worthy and then she pipes in "let’s make it a sleeper". Why did you go and have to say that using my inside voice. It couldn’t have been blurted out at a worse time as my 240Z turbo is nearing motor completion. However, it’s always good timing because it's never too late to start planning for the “next†project.

The Question:

What motor will propel this “sleeper†down the road?

Requirements:

We want to have about 300-450rwhp. (Keep in mind the current L24E is front sump.)

I have thought of the following: (couldn’t get the poll function to work)

• L28ET

• LS1/LS2 w/ 6 speed

• RB2xDExx

• 2JZ GTE

• VH45DE

• VK56DE

• Any other Ideas

I need some ideas please. What will get me to the HP goal with the least amount of dough spent, I know easier said then done. This is merely designed to brainstorm with my fellow Hybridzers and to shed some light and ideas on this!

So far we are thinking:

• Old school hot rod flat black paint job

• Over fenders

• 280ZX rear disc conversion (I need 280ZX complete rear suspension)

Here are some pics of her:

4910212019.jpg

4910212130.jpg

4910212397.jpg

4910212222.jpg

4910212250.jpg

I have come to the realization that the 810 does not want to leave me or in other words I can't sell her because only I can appreciate her good looks.

Oh, yer one of those guys too, huh?

I think your mod ideas sound cool!

810cpe2.jpg

810cpe1.jpg

Anxious to hear / see progress reports. And, by all means, do the 6-speed thang.

What exactly does "sleeper" mean to you and your GF? Pass a cursory external inspection by someone who doesn't know what they are looking at anyway, pass a cursory external inspection by someone who DOES know what they are looking at? Pass both external and underhood inspection by someone who doesn't know what they are looking at, or pass an underhood inspection by someone who should know what they are looking at?

I think your only real hope of having a decent sleeper is to pass an external visual inspection. Ideally, you want something that sounds like a ragged out engine that is about to fall out of the car, but really isn't. So your choices as I see them are Honda engine with a straight pipe (using the G-force tranny to convert a B-series honda motor to RWD configuration), possibly a toyota motor with a straight pipe (has the advantage of already being RWD in many applications), or you could do the ultimate: the Mazda rotary. Before you laugh at the rotary, consider: What is the only thing that sounds worse than a piston engine about to fall out the bottom of the car? A super high strung rotary engine, that's what! I think a nice 13b with a radical port job and a down draught Weber, coupled with either a straight pipe exhaust or a rice-can clamped on at a jaunty angle being held up by a coat hanger would be perfect. Then you find some wider than stock steel wheels that you can put grippy tires on, and get like 3 of those chrome trim rings that simulate a polished lip but leave the fourth one off. And THAT's how you build a sleeper. Oh, and get a type-r badge for the back. Just make sure it's seriously fast before you do all that...

What exactly does "sleeper" mean to you and your GF? Pass a cursory external inspection by someone who doesn't know what they are looking at anyway, pass a cursory external inspection by someone who DOES know what they are looking at? Pass both external and underhood inspection by someone who doesn't know what they are looking at, or pass an underhood inspection by someone who should know what they are looking at?

I would have to say it will have a definite external visual inspection. By sleeper we mean to have something nasty under the hood with a classic hybrid hot rod look from the outside. IMHO the 810 is not that well known although it has an L24E in it, which is really a 240Z/280ZX on a hardtop body. I just want people to look at it and say "Wow! Look at that thing, all blacked out, lowered with this huge exhaust. WHAT IS IT?" When the die hard V-8 guys say “Look at that Ricer POS,†and the GF cracks into it so at the next light as they are picking their jaws up off the floor, we can look over and smile. Sleeper is one thing but we are building it for our enjoyment and others surprise.

So your choices as I see them are Honda engine with a straight pipe (using the G-force tranny to convert a B-series honda motor to RWD configuration), possibly a toyota motor with a straight pipe (has the advantage of already being RWD in many applications), or you could do the ultimate: the Mazda rotary.

I would have to disagree with a Honda motor, only because my first choice would be to use something from the Nissan/Infiniti family. Then once those are exhausted, go to something proven such as a Toyota or GM power plant of course not knocking Honda or the others. Funny you mentioned a Mazda Rotary. My buddy just bought a 1985 GSL-SE w/ 80K original 13B. He owned the similar car 10 years ago and bought from Mazda a brand new 13B. To this day it is still bagged up and he never put in his SA but sold it instead. This could be another possibility.

rice-can clamped on at a jaunty angle being held up by a coat hanger would be perfect. Then you find some wider than stock steel wheels that you can put grippy tires on, and get like 3 of those chrome trim rings that simulate a polished lip but leave the fourth one off. Oh, and get a type-r badge for the back. Just make sure it's seriously fast before you do all that...

I don’t think I would want to “rice†the 810 out in any aspects. Sleeper is one thing, ricing it out is a totally different bag of Uncle Ben’s.

And THAT's how you build a sleeper.

My definition and your definition of a sleeper have two different meanings. I still want mine to look cool, albeit with the Type R badge it would look even cooler. I would rather have people comment “Wow, whatever it is, it looks cool and shits and gets too.†I guess I could take it to the rice route and put some Pep Boys 14†spinners, Type R badge, “cold air†intake and a set of General tires. Not to mention loading the underside up with neon and capping it off with a F40 wing. Chances of this happening were better 18 years ago, today highly unlikely. lolol

BRAAP is selling his Q45 V8 and that would look unbelievable under the hood!

Davy

Too bad he is in Oregon, shipping to Maryland would be crazy.

Although I would like to get a quote as I yell "BRAAP WHERE ARE YOU!!"

I sleeper dosnt have to be loud and sound like a aPOS!!!!

Any motor with a big turbo and exhaust can be very quite. A sleeper is more of a car that would drive by you and you wouldnt even realize it was anything more then a family car.

In nature there are two kinds of camoflage: make yourself look like your surroundings, or look so much like some other creature that you can be mistaken for it. Translate this to an automobile and you get either making your car look and sound completely stock while somehow still being fast, or making your car look like some other type of car that everyone knows couldn't POSSIBLY be fast.

Since nobody knows what an 810 looks like anymore anyway, minimal exterior mods are probably fine, but throw some flares and the wheel/tire combo to fill them out with a flat black paint job on any car and you haven't built a sleeper, you've built a car that says: "look at me, I'm probably fast."

The irony of making your car look like every other rice bucket out there as camoflage is that all those rice bucket owners think that the crap they're piling on their cars is identifying them with vehicles that can actually perform, when it isn't. This situation would be like if the venomous coral snake evolved to look like the harmless king snake in order to lull prey into a false sense of security, while the king snake was bragging to it's friends how much it looked like a coral snake so that nobody would mess with it. What better way to camoflage a car that is actually fast than by making it look and sound like a car owned by someone that has no idea what they're doing and has in the process of "upgrading" their vehicle actually made it slower?

I would define a true sleeper as not just a car that doesn't look fast, but a car that looks SLOW. A fine line I suppose, but I think there's a difference.

I sleeper dosnt have to be loud and sound like a aPOS!!!!

Any motor with a big turbo and exhaust can be very quite. A sleeper is more of a car that would drive by you and you wouldnt even realize it was anything more then a family car.

:iagree:

L28ET

Drill out the front oil pickup on the block and block off the rear pickup.

Leave the body as-is. Have you seen the Nova(I think?) that was in Hot-Rod a while back? It looked completely stock and 35+ years old except for the screws holding the tires onto the rims. It was a twin turbo making BIG power and sounded fairly quiet under street driving. THAT is a sleeper.

hmm... If the car says Datsun on the body and then toyota on the valve cover people are going to think something is up. On a Maxima it is really hard to see a turbo sitting down there because of the strut towers and all of the EFI junk.

Plus an L28ET with a regular old cruddy looking valve cover is going to look stock in a Maxima. I'd rather get one of the station wagon maximas to use as a sleeper. The one I pulled a head from was a station wagon with light rear quarter damage. The wagon Maximas have a solid axle so you could swap it out for a Dana 44 or something that has more strength than the wimpy little stocker. Plus you can get a limited slip dirt cheap since lots of Jeeps use a Dana 44 axle. That ends any rear end trouble.

I think Maximas are the ultimate sleeper and in about 5 years people will be building tons of sleeper maximas with turbo motors.

Or you could get a wagon with the LD28 and convert it over to gas and then turbo it... :-P

240ztt: What head is on that motor? Is it the same as the Maxima N47 head?