HybridZ

Best sparkplugs?

i sold auto parts for over ten years and over that time i found that plug were one of those things that were sort of and an emotional thing you either love champion or hated them ssorta the same with oil and ford vs chevy if you had a good experance with one or another you sorta stay with them

We use the autolite racing plugs for our application. Although we have used the NGK racing plug as well. Have not had a problem with either one.

Remember you need to run the correct plug for your application ( Heat Range ). The racing plugs in our case are a little shorter ( stubber ) this helps with clearence issues.

You can go to: http://www.autolite.com/products/racingHiPerformance.php or

http://www.ngksparkplugs.com/products/spark_plugs/racing.asp?mode=nml

for the description for the different types of plugs.

It is what I can get my hands on when in need and price.

Hope this helps....

John

I ran Champion projector tip plugs (RN12YC) on my BSP/IT prepared L28 which gave a .1 bump in the compression ratio. Back to back engine dyno runs between the Champion plugs and NGK (BPR6EGP) showed a slight horserpower gain for the Champions especially when they were indexed to point the gap at the intake valve.

Since John has probably added the closest we'll get to a technical response, I'll chime in with my experience- Champion vs. NGK.

I tried running the recommended Champions in my wife's Datsun roadster when it had the original 1600. We could putt around town fine, but as soon as we hit the freeway and wound it up a bit, the deposits would melt and the engine began to miss. IIRC (lotta years ago) we found little glazed brown spots on an overall yellowish color on the Champion insulator noses. Probably a heat range thing, but Champion should have known better.

Switched to NGK and never had another problem.

<>

I have indexed plugs before when we had a nitrous motor, really did not achieve that much. Here is a couple of good articals that explian it. They make an indexing tool which is easy to use. Follow the links below:

http://www.automedia.com/Indexing/Spark/Plugs/a/pht20001001sp/1?gclid=CMGrk5ex7owCFSMKGgodihao7w

and

http://www.automedia.com/Indexing_Spark_Plugs/pht20001001sp/2

john

What does it take to index a plug? Do you just add washers?

Thanks for all the great info.

I called my mechanic and told him to get NGK`s.

I don`t know if it makes any difference but, the car has the stock L24 with triple webers(40 mm) and MSA`s ceramic coated headers. I also have electronic ignition. I always warm up the car for at least 5-10 minutes in the morning before I take off.

Couple weeks ago I decided to take the Z for a spin and the car didn`t start. I thought it was the battery. Sent the car to my mechanic friend who is a fellow Z owner(300ZX) and he said the problem was the sparkplugs which I got 2000 miles ago... Tips of the sparkplugs(Autolite) turned all black. Battery is alright though.

Now I`ll try NGK`s and hopefully my problems will be over.

Thanks again for all the help. I really appreciate it.

ERIC

If the previous plugs were the correct heat range, then you may have something else wrong. Could be the jetting/carb adjustments are too rich. A rich running engine will cause sparkplugs of any brand to fail prematurely. Some plugs are better at resisting it though. A bandaid fix is to get the next step hotter plug, but the right way, is to tune the carbs. Also if you are indeed rich, there is some potential power to be gained by tuning them correctly.

You`re right TravRMK.

The thing is, the difference in performance before and after the webers, doesn`t feel significant. I was expecting much better performance with the webers and the new headers. What do you guys think the acceleration of a L24 240Z with 40mm triple webers and 6-1 MSA Headers should be like?

Does anybody have a similar setup?

Thank you for all the help and suggestions.

PS: I know I probably should get L28 heads and racing cam but can`t afford those right now...