HybridZ

The Z with Porsche center locks

I can't find anything about this car. Does anyone know the owner/builder. I'm thinking if I can use the same hubs he's using then we can upgrade to carbon fiber rotors and loose more weight. Also it has the advantage of a lot more choices for calipers. I have only seen a couple pics online of the car, but never any more info. I know I saved some pics of it - will post them as soon as I find them

Chelle

I've never seen this car that I'm aware, can you describe it with more detail? What color, does it have a distinctive bodykit or spoiler or something like that? that sounds interesting. I know Volk Racing made a wheel back in the day that had a simulated centerlock, where you would bolt the centerlock hub onto your existing studs, and then it had a large nut that held the wheel on in the center with five dowels that kept the wheel from rotating on the mount, hopefully it wasn't just something like that... (I've seen these wheels for sale only once, and didn't make a note of the model name. they aren't turning up under any searches either, but I know I've seen wheels like this in person because I helped a guy tighten the center cap after one of his wheels rolled off...)

lol, well there are aftermarket suppliers of the rotors for around $1k each. The thought is I could use the stock porsche rotors at first and the carbons could in the future bolt on. A ton of porsche racers are in my area.

The car in question is red, pretty clean looking and at first glance you don't notice there are a ton of well done mods. It was at the Motorsport West Coast Zcar Nationals..

I believe it has an RB26... sorry for the slow followup - I can't get on the site at work and just got home. I'll hopefully find the detail pics in the next half hour or so.. looking now

Chelle

well I found the pic.. not the copy I saved.. one someone on this board took.. lol

and it wasn't an RB26.... I was juss foggy.. there were a bunch of RB26 powered z's on the page I first saw this car on (this thread) http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=121583

but looky the huge rotors and calipers..

in retrospect the thing may not actually have true centerlocks.. that may be a cover... and just be wishful thinking on my part because three cars at my friend's shop have them.. (Morris's cobra, a porsche GT3, and a 996)

Chelle

Pictures taken by user "280ZForce"

IMG_2635a.jpg

Clean engine too

IMG_2636a.jpg

quoted from article on www.turbomagazine.com :Stopping power has been addressed with a Porsche 993 Twin Turbo brake conversion executed by Ziel Motorsports. The 993 binders feature 330mm vented and drilled rotors, factory Porsche Brembo four-piston calipers and Ziel-spec aluminum hats. The Datsun's contact patch is provided by three-piece Chevlon Sport wheels special ordered from Japan by DAZZ Motorsports. The mesh-style aluminum (17x8 front, 17x9 rear) is wrapped with Dunlop SP2000 rubber.

I can't find that particular wheel on Chevlon's website...The closest thing (called the "mesh" appropriately enough) has exposed lug nuts.

well I found the pic.. not the copy I saved.. one someone on this board took.. lol

and it wasn't an RB26.... I was juss foggy.. there were a bunch of RB26 powered z's on the page I first saw this car on (this thread) http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=121583

but looky the huge rotors and calipers..

in retrospect the thing may not actually have true centerlocks.. that may be a cover... and just be wishful thinking on my part because three cars at my friend's shop have them.. (Morris's cobra, a porsche GT3, and a 996)

Chelle

Pictures taken by user "280ZForce"

IMG_2635a.jpg

Clean engine too

Anyone know who can make rotor hats? I looked up the place that made it for him called Ziel Motorsports that recently changed their name. I contacted the place and apparently one of the guys told me they are only working on their company cars at this moment for some events and will not be able to do any other work for a while. I was bummer because I was looking into that Porsche caliper and huge rotor set up. If I remember right, they said that it was a custom made Hat adaptor. So I believe its still a 4 lug.

After having my own brake issues at the first track event I attended in my 996TT, I did a little shopping and got an education on the ceramic rotor costs... The ROTORS alone are a $5500 replacement PER ROTOR.

That did not include pads, and did not include calipers... After they revived me, I decided to try and "fix" my own brake issues, and found that good pads, fresh SRF fluid, and brake cooling ducts (Real ones, not those GT3 pieces of junk) and I'm good to go... Didn't have a single issue all last weekend!

Mike

Geeze Mike,

At that price it would be worth it to buy and part out other people's used race cars every time you need a part. .. We had a RUF 930Turbo in here for under $10k that needed some tlc and right now on ebay there's a GT3 Roller with centerlocks for $25k http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Porsche-911-930-964-996-GT3-Race-Car-Roller_W0QQitemZ330134244773QQcmdZViewItem

but $5500 per rotor is more than the Enzo! Ferrari gets $16k for 4 rotors and pads I think was the price.

My thought was that if I had a rotor hat and caliper bracket that allowed use of the OEM P-car stuff then any updates would be a simple matter of going to a Porsche supplier for bigger calipers/rotors for a 996/911/etc... and that would make any future updates (including things like scalloped or carbon rotors) MUCH easier to find.

It's annoying as heck to call someone like HRP and say "I'm looking to spend $5000 on brakes for a 280z" and have them say, "we've got nothing" when I know darn well they have something that would bolt on if we only knew what equivalent modern part measured out the same.

Chelle

chelle, what you're thinking about is a worthwhile goal. A setup for reds and matching rotors would be great for a Z. But, the carbon or ceramic rotors are serious $$$$, so it would be better to start with iron rotors. The 930 and the GT3 both use iron rotors.

Also, you've got to work in a wheel and tire package to use the big brakes, or there's no point to the whole deal.

John

http://www.colemanracing.com/ and I'm sure many others will do custom rotor hats, so you could reverse engineer it by obtaining the rotor you want to use and making the hat to fit.

Also, I think if you were just going for the super-duper, all out, stick your face to the windshield best friggin calipers you could put on the car, I don't the the Porsche Reds would be it. I don't think they're bad by any stretch don't get me wrong, but places like Coleman sell the AP Lockheed calipers which seems to be what you see on serious race cars on TV. Not to mention the Reds would be sized for a car that has a roughly 40/60 weight bias, and your car is probably more like 60/40 (guessing), so the bias would be very rear heavy. You could take care of that with a dual master setup, and I'm sure the fabrication involved wouldn't be a problem, just wanted to bring it up because I think you will be running into that issue head on.

You mentioned scalloped rotors. I've seen these on mountain bikes for years and love the idea, but I asked about them here a while back and was told that the cheap ones that were in my price range (Wilwood or comparable) had troubles with warping and premature failure. I think you can go with some very expensive alternatives and not have those issues, which may not be a problem for you judging by your quest for carbon fiber rotors.

Coleman is just one option, but I think there might be other more high end race parts suppliers that could help you out as well. I'm looking forward to seeing what you end up with, regardless.

After having my own brake issues at the first track event I attended in my 996TT, I did a little shopping and got an education on the ceramic rotor costs... The ROTORS alone are a $5500 replacement PER ROTOR.

That did not include pads, and did not include calipers... After they revived me, I decided to try and "fix" my own brake issues, and found that good pads, fresh SRF fluid, and brake cooling ducts (Real ones, not those GT3 pieces of junk) and I'm good to go... Didn't have a single issue all last weekend!

Mike

That is a heart attack.

Most guys I know running the GT3/Yellow calipers are using the aluminum centers and steel standard type rotors. The ceramics last a long time, shed a bunch of heat, and are really great performance items for the top of the top... But the rest of us have to deal with reality, and $5500 ceramic rotors don't fit my beer budget!:shock:

Mike