HybridZ

Need help! Removing the strut cart.

It could be friction welded or rusted, my guess is the outer strut tube is bent. the PO was parking it like the Blues Brothers and slid into a curb or something.... You're better off with a new (at least different) part.

Guest Anonymous

Before you cut that housing, try one more thing just for kicks. Drill ahole in the bottom of the housing and try to knock the insert from the bottom. The hole can always be welded back up. Nice pics, Mark

• 3 years later...

i just had the same experience just a week ago. my front left strut was rusted in. i ended up drilling a 1/4" hole in the bottom and used a punch to drive it out. i had to hang the strut in my vise so it rested on the cast part where the spindle joins the strut tube, do not clamp the vise to the tube, and pound the crap out of the strut. after three good whacks it started to move. you would not believe the amount of rust that came out. after that was done i just welded up the hole again. the one thing that i didn't do was try and let some wd-40 penetrate through some of the rust.

• 11 months later...

Oh my god. Well at least I'm not alone. I spent last night at home depot buying two 24" 1/2" threaded rods, Nuts, washers, and a bar to connect them. I've got a wrench on the top of the cartridge and the top nut is on. I was going to lever between the wrench and the base plate for the Coil but after reading this.... I'm just going to buy a torch. If that fails I'm going to search the bone yards. This is the Passengers side rear giving me this problem. Fronts werent too bad.

Drill a small hole in the bottom of the strut, but not through the cartridge...give it a couple shots of starter fluid, Tape a match to a long stick, strike it on the ground and wave it by the hole. Before you do this, it would be best to chain both piece to a tree, and make sure your stick is longer than the chain. If it does work...should be fun to watch. You've got to video this attempt though.:mrgreen:

Drill a small hole in the bottom of the strut, but not through the cartridge...give it a couple shots of starter fluid, Tape a match to a long stick, strike it on the ground and wave it by the hole. Before you do this, it would be best to chain both piece to a tree, and make sure your stick is longer than the chain. If it does work...should be fun to watch. You've got to video this attempt though.:mrgreen:

YES! I second this one. If this does not work move on to gun powder.

• 9 months later...
  • 9 months later...

Question?, I keep reading here that it is not recommended that wd40 or any type of penetrating oil be used to assist in the removal of a strut cartridge that is jammed in a housing. Why not? I also read somewhere else on a similar subject that when instaling a new cartridge in a housing that grease should not be used.? wont the grease aid in friction and removal later on down the road when replacing?

I remember using lots of WD40 on mine. I did let the WD40 soak for a few hours. I used a rubber hammer thing and pounded on the sides. One finally loosened up after I wrestled with it. It took me a while and the words that came out of my mouth were not very nice.

For the second strut I used the strut nut and the already out strut cartridge to make me my own version of a impact puller thing. See pic.

The second strut cartridge came out with a couple of hard impacted pulls.

Overall, it's a pain but I would use any ideas you have or can find online to pull these things out.

2044601012_thumb.jpg

I think that buying a strut tube is a smart thing to do ,but ...are you going to let that thing beat you? You have brought a new light to this site.ps try a small hole in the bottom of the tube,not cart. the will relieve pressure,allow penatrating oil insertion and victory over that rusted thing.