HybridZ

Article - Afshin's 1983 280ZXT

jhaag

Afshin's 1983 280ZXT was featured in Sport Z Magazine, Winter, 2005 (three pages). Afshin was a San Franciso medical doctor who used to post on Hybrid quite a bit until he moved to NJ and then Maryland sometime in 2006 (at least according to the last post I found from him from 7/06). Doing a search on his name in Hybrid turns up a lot of 280ZX information. Do any of our East Coast members have any information about the whereabouts of Afshin or his car?

John

Afshins1983280ZX-TSportZMagazineWin.jpg

Afshins1983280ZX-TSportZMagazine-1.jpg

Afshins1983280ZX-TSportZMagazine-2.jpg

Afshin and I kept in close contact as his red 280ZX Turbo was the sister car to my white 280ZX Turbo. We used to love hanging out at MSA together too. When he still lived in SFrisco we spoke regularly (email and telephone) and when he moved east to be with family, I lost contact of him. Hoping that he sees this post and we can get back in touch.

Yasin

slownrusty@yahoo.com

Hi guys,

Unfortunately, before moving from CA in 2005 to go to the east coast, I was involved in a pretty bad accident. I was a passenger in a cab, whose driver seemingly had a heart attack, while driving. Long story short, we crashed hard, cab caught on fire and burnt to a crisp, driver died and I was in a shock trauma unit with a broken back (cast for two months) and tore every ligament in my left ankle resulting in a dangling foot. Fortunately, I was able to open the door and crawl out of the car avoiding getting burned. More good news is that I did not sustain any nerve damage and hence am back to normal (that is as much as I ever was). So, after the event I was away for a year and without my Z. Forgoing the details of my withdrawal symptoms, I also dropped out of the forum.

Now, to bring this mini-saga to a more Hollywood like happy ending, I am indeed in Maryland and have further modified the Z which has been back on the road for a month now, stronger than ever and getting tuned for the Shenandoah and Summit point circuits.

So, it was perfect timing and very nice to see this post!! As most of you know oh too well, once a junkie…

Afshin: Do you still have the red turbo 280ZX? Auxilary mentioned he thought he saw it at the ZONC show which made me wonder if you still had it. If it wasn't your car at the show then I guess the old saying about the sincerest form of flattery applies. :-)

Wow! That was quite a story about the cab and your serious injuries. I'm glad you made it through it.

John

Yeah , the whole accident was surreal. The details of it are so out there that I often don't tell people, as it sounds too much like a plot from a cheap B rated TV flick. I'm just glad that I have recovered from the injuries.

As you figured out it Alex, had to be someone else at ZONC, too far for me to drive. BTW keeping my fingers crossed that you get the rotary conversion done and running this summer. It should be wild!

And yes John, I certainly have the same 280ZXT.

I got a new T3/T4 50e stage 3 from James Thaggard recently which certainly helped the top end (my last t3t4 had the stock turbine). Welded myself a full 3" downpipe (ugly as hell, but functional) Got an non-webbed intake manifold and slightly ported it, ceramic coated....(looks sooo much cleaner).

I also switched to a SDS system a while back for on the fly programming.

LSD, R compound tires (what a difference!)

Got Sparco seats as my last cool but cheap seats were starting to bend and other little stuff here and there....

I also got a progressive water/alcohol injection unit, but have yet to install it. (Bernard is going to laugh seeing this as I have been shelfing it for a while after he successfully pushed me into buying it). It'll be in soon and should undoubtedly provide for some entertainment, hopefully the drivetrain will hold.

Welcome back Afshin! I remember we PM'd fairly soon after your accident and then I hadn't seen any posts from you since that time. I'm glad to hear the recovery was complete.

Congrats on the article too. I guess that is a little belated, but I never had a subscription to that magazine. They really did the car justice.