HybridZ

There's always a cure for displacement

dosquattro

Well the Z has never been shown on here before. So here she is but not in her finest hour. Well I popped the headgasket on the stock L28E last summer and already had the stuff to fix it...and boost it. But aftermarket parts for it are harder to find and pricey and honestly. I just hate the engine. Sooooo...I've been trying to decide what to swap into it with the knowledge I have and money. I was looking at a 1JZ cause a 2JZ is mad loot just like a Rb25 or 26. But still was kinda pricey. Plain and simple I wanted a 4 cylinder and that was it. Stick with what you know right.

Now it was a toss up between a SR20DE....yes I said a DE because there is a adapter plate made that allows FWD SR20's to bolt onto the stock Z's drivetrain. This would of made the swap very easy but SR parts are kinda pricey still. So what else but a 4G63T. I found a local 6 bolt longblock for 350 and the harness for an additional 50 bucks. Then to buy the bellhousing from http://www.billsautofab.com for 275 that allows you to bolt on a W55/58 Toyota 5spd onto the 4G and using all stock mitsu and yota parts. Only machine work that needs to be done is to have some material machined out of the flywheel to accept a pilot bearing. MK2,3,4 supras and a couple other models. Stuff you can find in any junkyard that has a good supply of Yotas.

Now you ask why go from a 2.8 6 clyinder to a 2 liter 4 cylinder? Well start off at the technology of the L28E...60's design with the addition of early fuel injection...not to mention this engine weighs like a ton. Secondly, the 46G3T is already rated 30 horsepower more for being almost 1 liter smaller and 2 pistons less. Also the 4G is 150 lbs less and will make the Z a mid engine car as it can be mounted behind the front wheels. What isn't better about this engine then the stock 280's engine? NOTHING!

Now with the 4G I'll just be using the stock turbo ecu and harness to make things easier and cheaper Then I'll run an SAFC for tuning needs! Hack off one end of the intake manifold as the throttle body faces the firewall. Then finally bust out my TIG and fab up a manifold for my T4 60-1 originally for the L28. So tomorrow I'll have the 4G and just waiting on selling some left over parts to buy my bellhousing and away we go!

In her better days

doggahs242.jpg

So...Good bye and don't let the door hit your ass on the way out! I did I mention I like doing swaps on the most hottest days of the summer and in flip flops.

*** admin warning, picture removed due to tastless content***

only took me about two hours. Most of the time trying to get the engine and tranny out in one piece. yeah the support beams in my garage are only about 7 feet above ground so that doesn't leave me much clearance room with my lift.

Picture027-2.jpg

Something that came in the mail thursday. Originally it was bought for the Galant VR4 but it's a little on the bigger size and it looks better here anyways. Measures 31x12x3 and weighs like 2 tons. lol.

Picture025-2.jpg

original IC as the turbo and the intake manifold were both on the same side. Now this will get put into the Galant. If not sold to fund this project now. hahahah

Picture026-2.jpg

Engine picks tomorrow.

This is not mine but just some pics of what the 4G63 with bellhousing and yota tranny look like.

bellhousing_038.jpg

bellhousing_039.jpg

R154bellhousing144.jpg

more to come....

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, I still have my L6, sitting on a dolly. I'd not mind someone coming by to take it away. But I don't feel the need to disparage it either. It's just an old straight 6 I wasn't interested in playing with. Someone else wanting to play with it doesn't bother me.

• Administrators
....... What isn't better about this engine then the stock 280's engine? NOTHING! .........

Uh.. I can name at least one attribute the L-28 has over ALL 4 cylinders that don’t spin over 10,000 RPM, (not really a good excuse to keep the 6 for your application. The question was raised and I was able to muster but only one answer..), and that one attribute the L-6 has over the 4 cylinder is the exhaust note. With the right mufflers, (glass packs sound wonderful, no matter how wrong they are), the 6 cylinder has an exhaust note that is oh so sweet. Refined, smooth, with a hint of aggression. 4 cylinders spinning above 10,000 RPM sound oh so sweet as well, but typical street 4's up to 7k, the exhaust note really doesn’t stir the soul as much.

BRAAAP…BRAAAAAAAAAAAP…..BRAAAAAAAAaaaaaa……….

Picked this up just before....

DSCN4468.jpg

Now time to start tearing it down and get this thing ready for some business. :) You guys know of anyway to get the surface rust off besides taking it to a machine shop to have it hot tanks or blasted? Thinking of picking up just a wire wheel or two for my drill and just go to town with it and then just put a new coat of paint on it. Hopefully this week I can order my bellhousing if I sell like two more of my old Z parts I'll be go but the more the better!

Uh.. I can name at least one attribute the L-28 has over ALL 4 cylinders that don’t spin over 10,000 RPM, (not really a good excuse to keep the 6 for your application. The question was raised and I was able to muster but only one answer..), and that one attribute the L-6 has over the 4 cylinder is the exhaust note. With the right mufflers, (glass packs sound wonderful, no matter how wrong they are), the 6 cylinder has an exhaust note that is oh so sweet. Refined, smooth, with a hint of aggression. 4 cylinders spinning above 10,000 RPM sound oh so sweet as well, but typical street 4's up to 7k, the exhaust note really doesn’t stir the soul as much.

BRAAAP…BRAAAAAAAAAAAP…..BRAAAAAAAAaaaaaa……….

that post almost brought a tear to my eye.

thank you, BRAAP. That's always been my word to describe it, and you echoed my thoughts (at least regarding the six) verbatim.

I would start by saying,Very interesting!I too have a GVR4 and it is a very fun car to drive.Its my daily pack mule for hauling boxes of tools to my truck from home. It has been discussed here before,but never completed that I am aware of.Dont be so quick to poo-poo the L6 either.What it lacks in sophistication,it makes up for in Torque.Torque is what gets it moving! You are going to have to press the 4g63 pretty good to get going.

The 4G is well supported by the aftermarket and a large knowledge base.The DSM forums are full of great info and several cars make really big numbers.But dont kid yourself that those numbers come without a price.You will give up some reliability for those high RPM horsepower numbers on ANY engine.

This swap will closely watched by many people here and I hope you get it together soon.Good luck!!!

I built a 4g63 just a few months ago, made 600fwhp and ran 11.50 at 127mph with 2 guys in the awd eclipse car (3500lb with driver)!!! And that's with 8000 ft density altitude. I think it'd make a few more hp with some more tuning, but that's about the limit for the intercooler and turbo (gt42r) at 27psi. IMHO, the engine can handle alot more if it's built properly and tuned. I used stroker crank, no balance shafts, eagle rods, JE pistons, I ported the head, , custom cams, matched the intake, custom exhaust manifold, aem engine management system and a host of other mods to make everything work right.

You could easily IMHO get a z into the 9's with that engine!

I was looking at a 1JZ cause a 2JZ is mad loot just like a Rb25 or 26. But still was kinda pricey.

The 4G63 is an awesome engine and good luck with your swap. However, I feel obligated to disagree with your statement or at least make something clear.

A 2JZ is "mad loot" if you simply must have a USDM 2JZ-GTE with the 6-spd. After all, it is out of a Supra TT. The alternative is to buy a JDM 2JZ-GTE and use it with the R154 5-spd. A fully dressed JDM 2JZ-GTE with auto tranny can be bought for anywhere between $1600-2000 SHIPPED. You can sell the auto tranny and converter to help pay for the R154 (Supra MKIII 5-spd) and the other pieces for the conversion. The other option is to buy a dirt cheap 2JZ-GE (n/a) and do the necessary mods to run a turbo on it. Better option than a 1JZ, IMHO.

4G RWD? Wow, that's cool! I'd still want the displacement and toughness of a 2JZ but a RWD 4G is pretty neat. What I'd really like, and I hear it's been done, is an AWD Colt. Kewl motor and lots of parts for it. Be interested to see how this works out.

the Bill Hincher, the fabricator of the bellhousing is also working on a bellhousing for the new 4G Evo motor(timing belt on passenger side). There's been numerous 1000hp version of these engines. I think he was gonna use the Gegtrag 6spd 2JZ tranny. Now that would be a badass setup. You can find those engines on ebay for around 2-3g's. But then that's usually the whole swap so finding just an engine for cheaper would be nice but not seen too often.

the make of the bellhousing is also working on a bellhousing for the new 4G Evo motor. There's been numerous 1000hp version of these engines. I think he was gonna use the Gegtrag 6spd 2JZ tranny. Now that would be a badass setup. You can find those engines on ebay for around 2-3g's. But then that's usually the whole swap so finding just an engine for cheaper would be nice but not seen too often.

yeah i heard the crank walk issues are long gone, the bearing failure issues i've read about are non existant, and the Evo engine (i was told) has always rotated the in the opposite direction of the FWD version.

my friend who wants to put an EVO motor in his AE86 was concerned due to incompatability with the corolla's driveline or something, so he was doing quite a bit of research. However he's not the most technical guy, and neither am i, but he did come up with some good info.

if it were an 4G, it would be the Evo one for me.

:mrgreen: