HybridZ

****vote For The Best Custom Z Diecast****

MOTORHEAD427

Well, the 1st ever HybridZ-JADA Toys Custom Diecast Contest is over and we have a winner!

First place: Ruby

Second place: RoxZ

Third place: Above The Rest

Fourth place: ZF1-J

Congratulations to all of you.

Could the contestants post more pictures of their customs and maybe tell us more about them?

Awesome!!.. Congrats to Ruby and all of us. Now.. I think we should all SPILL THE BEANS... how about listing out all the mods you did and what you used to either make the mods or what car it was from? It was really neat seeing the different ideas we all had.. Thanks again Eric for putting on the contest!

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Awesome!!.. Congrats to Ruby and all of us. Now.. I think we should all SPILL THE BEANS... how about listing out all the mods you did and what you used to either make the mods or what car it was from? It was really neat seeing the different ideas we all had.. Thanks again Eric for putting on the contest!

Why don`t we start with you Mr RoxZ? :)

Trophies and winnings will be shipped within 2-3 weeks.

ERIC

Sure thing.. Here is what was involved in my RoxZ

-Made the Cage with a wire coat hanger as well as the rear strut bar.

-Painted the wheels gold/bronze

-Bought a EvoV111 for parts,

-Put the evo's racing seats in the Z, as well as painted the red seats black and the black seatbelts red.

-Put the fire extinguisher in there as well and painted it red.

-I put the gauges on the Z's steering column

-I installed the NX kit as well

-The original color of my Jada Z was black, I painted it Green to match my real Z as well as repainted all the fender flares, front bumper, rear wing and side marker lights.

-I shaved the fender mirrors

-removed the rear bumper

-removed one of the mufflers

- I aquired a R34 Skyline from a friend and robbed parts from it as well

-Installed the RB26 and made IC pipes,

-Modified the RB's front mount and made IC pipes.

- I custom made the front splitter out of plastic and painted it to match the airdam.

- I refit the BOV that was on the SR20 onto the RB's IC pipes.

- Painted gas, brake, clutch petals as well as other interior trim silver.

- I think thats all folx..

Well, mine was ZF1-J. I decided that since Eric mentioned the Panzer gun in his intro for the contest, he was secretly asking for an off-the-wall destruction mobile, and somebody ought to give him one. I named it ZF1-J as a nod to the Robotech VF1-J that it was modelled after. I fabricated all the arms and legs by hand with tin snips from sheet metal drawer dividers we've got laying around at work-I used paper templates and folded the metal in a vise, then scuffed the original black finish so it would look more like flat black. The camo was done with acryllic paint, as was the rust on the floorboards. I took out the rally bar in the passenger floor board, and added a modeling clay (painted) fuel cell to the hatch. Also I used some bits of wire and more painted clay to make the protoculture matrix under the hood. The main gun is made of an Outback steakhouse ballpoint pen and half of a 7-11 slurpy straw. I flipped the calipers in the front so they would be on the correct side of the rotors, and modified the original wheels to resemble my Impul Hoshino RS-III's, trees and all. I cut out most of the spokes, and then used scissors to cut out some aluminum from a can of Coke to make the three spoke. The blaster burns were done with a Harbor Frieght MIG-100, set on low heat and wire speed 6 (seems the easiest way to simulate dumping a bunch of heat into something was just to dump a bunch of heat into it). The joints were made of wire loom cut out of some old saturn engine harnesses. I suspect that I fell short under the hood and in the interior, I'm already working on an idea for next time.

I like to talk about my models, so you better go get a cup of coffee and settle in for a story…

It’s finally over, the wait is done and as much as I tried I couldn’t help checking in and looking over the voting. I am really surprised that I won; the other models are absolutely Amazing! I would love to have any of them in my collection, but I'll settle for one.

If you hadn’t guessed, my car is Ruby. It was a long grueling process to bring the car together, especially those last few days. There was paint and glue drying when I took those pictures! When I first got the car I had a hard time deciding what to do with it, so I went with my gut instinct and my passion for engines. The rest just fell into place.

The basic engine was carved from a block of hard balsa and while not perfect, it looks pretty good. The hard part was getting it to sit just right. The carburetors are stolen from a '70 Olds 442 which also provided the spoiler. The intake plenum is made from brass and aluminum tubing and the rest of the piping was bent from heavy solder. It’s quite hard to tell once assembled but the piping represents a twin turbo engine, there is a Y pipe under the intake and I left the dual pipes underneath for effect. The battery is from a lancer evo, because I didn’t like the one that came with it. The ignition wires are plain old wire that I had lying around and the distributor is just a piece of tubing that fit snugly over the seven wires. The intercooler was formed using half of the original grill and made end tanks from more balsa.

The interior is mostly stock, I repainted the steering wheel, shifter and some of the trim. If you look very closely, I painted a five speed shift pattern on the knob. The seats came from the same evo that donated the battery. The nitrous bottle came from either the evo or the 442, I don’t remember for sure right now.

Underneath, I detail painted the chassis, and cut out the gas tank to make room for the diffuser, which is scratch built from sheet plastic. I also made the exhaust pipes that attach to the mufflers with solder. The wheels are the ones that came with the car but I shot clear red over the chrome lip to give it an anodized look, and repainted the centers flat black. The front brakes are pirated from the 442 and are actually bigger than the rear brakes. All four corners were re-clocked to mimic the Arizona Z car suspension setup. You will see a different set of wheels in a few pictures; I was considering them so the brakes would show more. But I didn’t like the tiny little side walls so they had to go.

The body is a story in itself! First thing I did after I got it all apart was drop the whole thing in paint stripper. Unfortunately I forgot to remove the hood hold down and the washers in the door hinges so being plastic they broke down and it didn’t take much to break them. The door washers were easy but the hood keeper is a little more complex. I attempted to glue it back together but after my fourth attempt the plastic just kept breaking so I ditched it, and as you can tell, the hood is now removable. Then I moved on and used JB weld to fill in the rear bumper, rear view mirror, door handles, and spoiler holes. It works about the same as the metal so that wasn’t too difficult. I also shaved the corner lights, drip rails, and emblems. After the body work was completed I painted it in four stages, primer, silver base, clear red, and gloss clear. I buffed it up to a nice high shine and was very excited about it. Then I used some 3M low tack tape to mask off the rockers, air dam, and flares, and guess what …the paint peeled off! All the way down to the bare metal! So obviously I was ticked, this was days before the deadline and I had no idea what to do. So I took it in to class and grit blasted all the paint and primer off of it. The next time I used DuPont Automotive primer, it’s made for metal so it had better stick! Then I sprayed on the silver and red over that and ran out of time to put on the clear and polish it, hence the orange peel and crappy coating. I also noticed while taking the pictures that the blaster took off some of the JB weld and left little divots and distinct lines around the filler that are Very visible in certain light. So I need to redo the paint sooner or later. With decent paint finally in place and the black ground effects finally applied without incident I painted all the trim black and reinstalled all the lights and bumper, which was shaved smooth, btw. The car originally came with headlight covers which I didn’t really like and they didn’t fit well anyways so I did my best to make the lights look decent.

Overall I think it turned out amazing, this is a model that I just couldn’t clearly see in my head until it was done, there are so many little things that I changed and little quirks about the model that I worked with. I am still totally in shock that I actually finished it, not up to my usual standards, but good enough to take pictures of it. Trust me, if you saw it in person, you probably wouldn’t have voted so highly. I really appreciate having such worthy competitors. You guys did an amazing job; I loved every one of the other models. Very big thanks goes to Eric and everyone that had a hand in making this possible, even thought the numbers weren’t as high as expected. I am already looking forward to the next contest and you can be sure I’ll enter! I already have a list of ideas; you just wait and see what’s coming next!

I hope you like pics! I've taken over 200 of this car, this is just a small sample!

100_0869.jpg

100_0875.jpg

100_0013.jpg

100_0148.jpg

100_0268.jpg

100_0308.jpg

100_0306.jpg

100_0328.jpg

100_0413.jpg

100_0414.jpg

100_0386.jpg

100_0318.jpg

100_0316.jpg

100_0393.jpg

100_0341.jpg

100_0359.jpg

100_0421.jpg

100_0427.jpg

If you havnt seen enough yet, there are a few more pictures if you follow this link!

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v11/chewievette/Models/JadaZ/

btw, are we allowed to start working on the next contest model?

good job. that car is awesome. NOW MAKE A LIFE SIZE VERSION OF IT!!! THAT WOULD BE PERFECT!!!

100_0413.jpg

btw ive wanted to shave my hood cowl like that. anyone know if someone sells a shaved version like this? Fiber glass would be nice but it doesnt really matter.

Dear Contestants.

Your winnings will be shipped out today. Please allow 4-5 business days.

Chewievette. Your M. Yellow 240Z will be shipped out tomorrow.

Trophies will be shipped out within 2 weeks.

Thanks again for participating the 1st ever HybridZ.org - JADA Toys custom Z diecast contest.

Don`t forget to post pictures when you receive your models!

ERIC

Just in time! I'm moving to Orlando to go to Grad School, and I need some desk toys to be cooler than the guy next to me! So far I've got the ZF1-J, all those Choro-Q minis that I got from Corzette, and a big plastic Mach V (with no speed racer to go with it).

Dear Contestants.

Your winnings will be shipped out today. Please allow 4-5 business days.

Chewievette. Your M. Yellow 240Z will be shipped out tomorrow.

Trophies will be shipped out within 2 weeks.

Thanks again for participating the 1st ever HybridZ.org - JADA Toys custom Z diecast contest.

Don`t forget to post pictures when you receive your models!

ERIC

Thanks again Eric for putting on the contest!. I hope to enter in the next one as well..

Got mine today! The super genius from UPS left it on my doorstep in the middle of a downpour and didn't ring the bell or knock or anything. The outer cardboard box was wet, but the actual packaging of the car was perfectly fine. I must have gotten some early variant of the car to use for my contest model, because I had no headlight covers, and the wheels/tires were different (though the ones on this car are the same ones Chewie had on his contest car).

contestprize2.jpg

contestprize.jpg

So Eric, when did you say the next contest was starting?

I am in for sure! Gotta defend my title dont cha know. I've already got plenty of ideas for the next car. This one is going to take a bit longer than my first one, so I would appreciate as much time as possible to work on it.

My cars showed up the other day but I've been so friggin busy that they are still in the boxes! Gee, I've got nothing to do this morning...