HybridZ

Chalk One Up For The RB Swap

Canadianz

Yeah hopefully this year we'll make some more of the OZC events too, last year we basically only got to z fest and the swap meet, but thatll have to change!

Hows your 26 coming Quentin?

That just reminded me, does anyone know where to find the nismo fpr bypass elbow? We need one so that we can use the aeromotive regulator with the stock fuel rail.

Thanks guys,

Rob.

i am no expert,but those internal trumpets all look the same size

i would keep an eye on the individual spark plugs as you may find that some cylinders will be running lean (could go bang when you melt a piston on a lean cylinder)

my CPC plenum has differing sized trumpets to even out the flow to each cylinder to compensate for differing distance from the intake air/fuel flow

as i say i am now expert

have a look at a site called www.calaisturbo.com.au ,particularly a member called ISL33P who makes CPC plenums....you may have to sign up to the forum but there is a wealth of RB turbo info on there

paul

western australia

That Swain Coating stuff looks pretty attractive, I might look into it this winter, do any of you have much experience with header wrap or turbo socks ? Were on a bit of a deadline as we both go back to school in the fall so we want to get it done. Oh and here is a picture of the inside of the intake.

n72604599_33935836_4421.jpg

I was just asking Matt how your car was coming today, he came into Tom's when I was there, had a noise in the front end of his Scooby, ask him about it. ;)

I really thought you were going to go MS, looking at that harness layed out on your bench. I've built harnesses in the past and it can be a long and tedious process, so I can empathize with you on that.

I really want to see your car back on the ground. :)

Yea, I wish the shipping wouldn't kill me, I'd buy one from him...

attachment7a10bcczs6.th.png

i am no expert,but those internal trumpets all look the same size

i would keep an eye on the individual spark plugs as you may find that some cylinders will be running lean (could go bang when you melt a piston on a lean cylinder)

my CPC plenum has differing sized trumpets to even out the flow to each cylinder to compensate for differing distance from the intake air/fuel flow

as i say i am now expert

have a look at a site called www.calaisturbo.com.au ,particularly a member called ISL33P who makes CPC plenums....you may have to sign up to the forum but there is a wealth of RB turbo info on there

paul

western australia

You might want to replace the plastic ties with wire or metal ones. Just something to think about and save you a headache later. Really nice Zed. Maybe someday I'll get up to Ontario with my Z again.

It will be wired on when we're finished, the zip ties are just there to get an idea for how everything should be.

;)

I would think that uneven flow with an aftermarket intake manifold is a sign of either not enough surge tank or improperly designed surge tank. I know very few manifolds actually have the investment of modelling the fluid flow in the design procedure, but it seems strange to go back and change trumpet sizes to even it out.

You guys have a point about the flow etc, the intake is suposedly a "jun" style which really doesn't mean a damn thing. I think though for what Im shooting for I will be okay, were trying for a reliable 350 hp, once we do a computer and injectors/ wideband. In the form it is now I would hope for something around high 200 hp range. Who knows still twice as fun as the POS L24 that was in it, which was still hilarious.

• 1 month later...

Small Update,

The Header and downpipe are now wrapped in header wrap and sprayed with silicone. The turbo is installed and the oil and water lines are hooked up. The intake manifold is now on and the adapter installed. Things are finally falling into place. Also the IAC plumbing and all the coolant lines are done. This weekend we are going to recheck the harness, hook it up and drop in the Rad. Hopefully if all goes well there is a chance we can fire it up this weekend !!

Heat Wrap and Lines

n509484956_210935_7154.jpg

Intake and Throttle body adapter flange . . .

n509484956_210932_6168.jpg

More to come this weekend . . .

Quick update, more pics . . . the engine is now finished mechanically, the intercooler is all plumbed up and set. Rad's in and almost all the lines are good to go. Its getting exciting now ! !

n72604599_36466334_2846.jpg

A close up of our throttle body and custom adapter my buddy whipped up

n72604599_36466335_3219.jpg

A shot of the manifold and our oil drains, they are 3/4 or something stupid big like that I can't remember.

n72604599_36466339_4763.jpg

Nothing special but a veiw with the rad etc in . . .

n72604599_36466332_2024.jpg

Hey guys, I had to mount the BOV as Evan said before the intercooler due to space reasons, would there be benefits to mounting it elsewhere? The BOV is a Chinese copy, so we'll see if it holds up. As for your question Jerry, the throttle body is a Ebay piece, in my opinion its really good quality, it seals nicely and has good bearings and return on the spring. Time will tell as how it holds up, as this is the first car my bro and I have built. Its getting so exciting to actually see it all come together. This summer after it is broken in Rob and I are shooting for a standalone and some big injectors 550's or 600's so it will remain drivable and idle decently. Thanks for all the comments, Rob and I are just about finished tackling the wiring so look forward to an update this weekend with the dash in, if all the school work doesn't bog us down !

On a side note what kind of catch cans do you guys run ? Are the closed loop systems better or is it okay to run one that has a little filter on it ? What is the proper routing for the hoses ?

Thanks for taking a look!

Cheers

Rob & Chris Crombie