HybridZ

Arizona adjustable strut experience

I have a question, it seem like going with this brand is a no brainer when it comes to price if you wanted a coil over sus.

for example if azzcar wants $1600 for springs, adjustable shocks, and camber plates for all 4 corners.

and unless i am looking in the wrong place but universal coil overs go for $399 a piece without shcoks or camber plates! = 1596 without all of the other needed stuff.

So why would i NOT buy this kit? and why are there not many people who have this kit?

~Andrew

i have seen adjustable shocks and springs for around $500 on ebay an a little more on msa. azzcar stuff requires you weld in his camber plates and alot of people are not going to go that far to hack up their car. azzcars stuff is geared for more of the racers while illuminas can be used by all. i guess it is like getting a honda or acura. same thing only more expensive. there may be added features on one that will never be used by most people. my $.02

jimbo

I have a question, it seem like going with this brand is a no brainer when it comes to price if you wanted a coil over sus.

for example if azzcar wants $1600 for springs, adjustable shocks, and camber plates for all 4 corners.

and unless i am looking in the wrong place but universal coil overs go for $399 a piece without shcoks or camber plates! = 1596 without all of the other needed stuff.

So why would i NOT buy this kit? and why are there not many people who have this kit?

~Andrew

$399 EACH for coilovers??? I need to start selling coilovers!!! :wink:

I think that price you found was actually for a set of 4. If you check places like Ground Control, Techno Toy Tuning, and Modern Motorsports you should find more comparable prices to AZC. You can mix and match from there to get the best deal, but you do need to make sure that all the components you buy will work together. You might read the camber plate sticky thread as it has quite a bit of info on the differences between the plates. They are not all the same.

$399 EACH for coilovers??? I need to start selling coilovers!!! :wink:

I think that price you found was actually for a set of 4. If you check places like Ground Control, Techno Toy Tuning, and Modern Motorsports you should find more comparable prices to AZC. You can mix and match from there to get the best deal, but you do need to make sure that all the components you buy will work together. You might read the camber plate sticky thread as it has quite a bit of info on the differences between the plates. They are not all the same.

lol, that i guess is my fault, that price is from tech toy tuning and it did not say if it was for all 4 or not so i just assumed. and i guess is true on what they say when you assume. :oops:

I am just trying to cover my options, i am building this car for drag, cause i got sucked into that. but would love to try the track days at the local road course sometime.

~Andrew

So how about a counter point. I'll admit upfront I have no real experience with any of these items but I've seen them on a friends car.

1. The camber plates are a weld-in variety. Nothing wrong with that unless you decide you really don't like them and them you have major surgery to go back to stock.

2. What are the shocks. As far as I can tell these could be really good or they could be crap. The problem is there's no real info out there. I haven't seen a dyno sheet and it's hard to say how well the adjusters really work. Can they be rebuilt, etc. All good questions to know. Can you buy just one of they go bad ...

3. Being able to adjust ride height versus preload is a spurious argument at best. This in my opinion is marketing hype than anything else.

4. These haven't been out there that long. So that may be why a number of people don't have them.

Like I said I don't have them but I know someone who does. They seem to work but not any better than Konis. Before I plunked down my hard cash I'd ask some serious questions. And If I get non-answers I'd think about buying something name brand. That unfortunately, is a path I've been down too many times.

Cary

i not only run the arizona z car set up on my Z but have installed many sets for customers.

very good quality and holds up to abuse

and the strut tube measurement is as lots of people here say......every Z is different so measure twice and cut once. on 2 customers cars the measurement that is on the site was perfect. others had different wheels and set ups so they needed to be a bit lower.

i am looking at this cause you get everything you need, no need to section your strut so you don't have to make sure its straight even thought that would not be hard. the shock is rebuildable from my understanding. and it is all from one suplier, so if there is a problem you only have to call one number, that i think is very nice.

~Andrew

2. What are the shocks. As far as I can tell these could be really good or they could be crap. The problem is there's no real info out there. I haven't seen a dyno sheet and it's hard to say how well the adjusters really work. Can they be rebuilt, etc. All good questions to know. Can you buy just one of they go bad ...

Agreed, all I want to know is who actually produces them!?! IMO Dave is a bit too secretive in this regard with most of his products.

Why wouldnt he be? If you all knew you could go down to Company "X" and get the same thing you wouldnt buy it from him. Im sure he has quite an investment in these things, so why would he hand that info out?

In this day of group buys, ebay whore$ and the like how would you expect anyone to build a business and offer different options for our cars.

I personally would like him to offer instructions on how to rebuild them, but mine dont have any issues yet, so I will complain (and post) when I need to.

Why wouldnt he be? If you all knew you could go down to Company "X" and get the same thing you wouldnt buy it from him. Im sure he has quite an investment in these things, so why would he hand that info out?

Because without it you have to trust him that they're good. If you buy race shocks from someone you can usually ask for the dyno graph. If you can't get the dyno graph, if you can at least find out who makes them you can probably get a dyno graph from the shock manufacturer. If you check the shock thread and you'll see dyno plots for Tokicos and Konis.

Most people wouldn't be able to tell the difference between a good shock and a bad shock from behind the wheel, so just going off of someone else's "I have these and they're great!" isn't enough for some hardcore racers.

dave has had numerous customers with them on that have done very well. they are probably as good as some of the other stuff out there. not saying that they are but people have won on konis, gc, illuminas ect. it is just another option out there for our car and we should be greatful. he has developed quite a few things for our car an i can think of one place that looks like they took his and marketed under their own. i can understand if he is a liitle "secretive" i guess it would be like asking another racer that has identical cars how he has his set up so you can beat him.

just saying

jimbo