HybridZ

mustang t5 to chevy

ive searched and didnt come up witha def. anwser but will a mustang t-5 trans work with a chevy 350 if the bellhouseing is swaped? ive heard the input shafts are diffrent not not sure...

whats the low budget way to run a manual 5 speed with a sbc?

thanks

andy

Hey there I am wondering the same thing i seen on ebay for ford and chevy the input shaft were the same 26 1 1/8" Spline not sure on the output shaft. maybe there is a bellhousing for this swap or maybe someone makes a conversion kit for this swap i would like to know also hopefully someone replys back......

I tried to do this....and here are the difficulties:

You have to use a steel (scattershield) chevy bellhousing and redrill the holes to mount the trans. The front bearing retainer on the ford trans will have to be machined down slightly to fit in the pilot hole in the bellhousing. The Pilot shaft on the ford trans is about 3/4 of an inch longer, so a 3/4 inch spacer will have to be used between the trans and bellhousing or between the bellhousing and block. Then you have to make a custom pilot bushing because the shafts are different diameters. Once you've made everything fit, you should be able to use a ford clutch disk with a GM pressure plate.

This is not the cheap way to do it.

If you'd like, I've got a WC-T5 gearbox out of a TPI camaro for sale, and I'm in LA (pretty close by). I've got the shifter and bellhousing aswell. I'll let the whole thing go for $450.

Oh yeah, the splines are slightly different sizes and shapes between the ford and Chevy pilot shafts, so while the chevy clutch will slip over the ford pilot shaft, there isn't a whole lot of spline contact and you would probably strip the splines off of either the shaft or clutch or both the first time you stood on the throttle.

Well for starters just to be honest a t-5 tranny is garbage (and I was born and raised ford) if you are wanting to get above 300hp a just won't hold it. And it is a 10 spline if it mounts to a 5.0 liter but you could go with a newer tranny to get different splines.

I think lbhsbZ summed it up well.

Although I'm not all that versed in the Ford side of the T-5's I think the internals are pretty much universal (there are lots of differnt internals available) and what needs to changed out is the input shaft assembly.

Last year I rebuilt a GM V-6 WC T5, put Ford Cobra "R" gearset inside with a new V8 input shaft assembly (all the bits that go w/ it).

If you need ANYTHING, or want a specific answers and help on what you need to get your trans to work w/ your T5, go to http://www.thegearbox.org. He has all the parts and knowlege to help you out.

Guest 350datsun
ive searched and didnt come up witha def. anwser but will a mustang t-5 trans work with a chevy 350 if the bellhouseing is swaped? ive heard the input shafts are diffrent not not sure...

whats the low budget way to run a manual 5 speed with a sbc?

thanks

andy

hey andy im dealing with same the t5 problem. the input shafts are all different sizes for each make/model. im using a t5 from a 90 camaro v8 i got for $75. it needs an input shaft and cluster gear which almost any used one will, but nationaldrivetrain.com has them for $210 with ups ground shipping.

The 151 (2.5L) inline 4 engine was used in '80-'83 CJs including the CJ-8, CJ-7, and CJ-5. The 151 is often called the "Iron Duke... The engine does have the Chevy bell housing bolt pattern though. The engine is manufactured by GM and uses a cast iron block ....

The neat part about the engine is it has the same bell housing bolt pattern as a Chevy small block. The bell housing makes a great low buck Ford/Jeep to Chevy adapter since it is basically Ford on the transmission side and Chevy on the engine side. A regular Chevy bell housing will bolt to the 151, . Also, a Chevy 305 or 350 will bolt right to the Iron duke bell housing.

Found it here

http://www.jeeptech.com/engine/gm151.html

The jeep also uses a hydraulic clutch!

• 9 months later...

When I bought my Tremec TR-3550 (weak version of TKO 5spd) I had darkhorseperformance build it with an old style Ford input shaft, which was a little shorter than the GM input shaft. It's a 10 spline, 1-1/16" shaft. It came with a pilot bushing that fit into the larger more rearward machined hole in the back of the chevy crankshaft. McLeod makes a bearing version of that bushing. Using a McLeod hydraulic TO bearing, I needed to space the trans back from the bellhousing about 1/8" using a plate I made.

Using this trans and TO bearing is documented here: http://alteredz.com/TremecInfo.htm