HybridZ

making the dash fully fabric?

k3werra

I had my dash as well as all the plastic panels covered in Soft Touch vinyl which simulates a fine soft leather. I would rate it 10+ on the difficulty scale. 10 being the most difficult. Unless you are a expert upholsterer, covering the dash is best left up to a quality oriented professional.

Wow, very nice!!!! I would love to do something like that to my Z, depending on cost ;) How much would something like that cost? (if you don't mind me asking).

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just contacted a FLOCKING company near where I live and they quoted me between $50-100 to completely flock my dash board in a suede like finish...

That could be a very cheap and easy solution for those of us who are looking to cover our dashes with suede or Alcantara...

Just wanted to share...

Thank Bchappy.

No Problem,

it is cheap and if done professionally it looks really good.

Kind of gives it a race car touch, I plan on doing it, I wasnt going to let the cat out of the bag but figured what the hell.

Be sure to post pics when done!

also if you search WRC pics there are many pics on it.

matter a' fact here is a teaser;

2005interior.jpg

i'm curious as to the 'wear' or 'rub' factor would be with flocking vs. a more traditional material?! hmm...

I really don't see the difference.. all it is the actual textile electro statically bonded to the surface.

I really think if the WRC guys will use it on there cars it is going to be tuff, but I suppose that it all comes down to the application of the material and how well it is done.

My Father does upholstery, and the stuff he uses comes in a 5 gallon bucket, and is sprayed on with a paint gun. It is a contact type cement, and is yellow. You can get the high strength 3M contact cement in a spray can at Home Depot. There are 3 or 4 strengths, get the stronger one. You have to spray both sides, let it dry, then stick them together.

so.... linex type stuff? or a finer texture? i think id still rather have a covered dash. anyone here do interior work, or have any recommendations

Find a good automotive upholstery guy. I'd recommend my guy but he is here in the Houston area and he has so much work...if you are not there to push his _ _ _ you may not see your dash for a while.