HybridZ

Interior Plastic Rivet Alternative?

Armand

One more...an option I have considered but never tried is to pop in threaded rivets and then just use an appropriate bolt with a small rounded head. They could be coloured black with a Sharpie marker. It may make life real easy.

• 2 months later...

I just found these on ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.ca/CRL-Datsun-Trim-Panel-Plastic-Rivet_W0QQitemZ370031912933QQihZ024QQcategoryZ10034QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1638Q2em118Q2el1247

$30 for 100. But their shipping fees to Canada are crazy. I might e-mail them to see if they have a cheaper option.

They also have these:

http://cgi.ebay.ca/CRL-Nissan-Isuzu-and-Mazda-Plastic-Rivet_W0QQitemZ370031944887QQihZ024QQcategoryZ10034QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1638Q2em118Q2el1247

$16 for 25, and they have a screw center to make them reusable.

Nigel

'73 240ZT

i use these in my car. redrilled both the panels and receiving body tabs to approx 7/16". they work great, are easily removable, pin and rivet stay together [for the most part] and are relatively inexpensive. got them from a local place that specializes in fasteners, i believe they run about $10 for 15 of them. 1st pic is a close up of the pin 'open', then 'closed' and finally installed. yes, my panels are covered in a tweed fabric, done many years ago by a good friend. he's so anal, all the panels-when fitted show a continuous orientation of the lines of the fabric. of course, i had to then line up all the fastner heads...

i cleaned all the plastic panels [after resizing the holes for the new fasteners and accounting for the fabric] then we wiped them all down with a solvent. made the plastic tacky prior to then spraying them with some 3m adhesive and applying the tweed. i love the results and it makes my z a bit more...unique:icon32:

DSC06474.JPG

DSC06475.JPG

DSC06472.JPG

some interior pics. custom enclosure [doubles as a strut reinforcement] 10 jl sub and amp for my beats...

my friend also felt it necessary to customize the spare tire cover. still able to access the spare [now a 16" compact tire from the old rear drive maxima-to fit over my brakes].

pardon the not so clean interior...

DSC06495.JPG

the microphone is for when i attend track days. no wind noise and pulls in a bit of gear whine and exhaust noise.

DSC06496.JPG

DSC06499.JPG