HybridZ

Interior Plastic Rivet Alternative?

Armand

Hey guys,

Im putting back my interior back together but all the interior plastic rivets are around a buck each everywhere I look. I've searched and searched and searched and can't find them cheaper anywhere, and couldn't find people using an alternative.

Does anyone know of any cheaper plastic rivets that will do the job? I'm 16 years old, on a tight budget and can't justify spending over a buck on a piece of plastic that costs a couple cents.

Thanks in advance,

-Armand

hey man, I'm in the same exact position as you, some of the NoS parts that people offer are just outrageously overpriced. hell a bunch of screws for 10 bucks?!?! what is that?

I guess purists will spend more than me 10 times out of 10

I've just been told that a lot of people use flat head sheet metal screws in place of the rivets or at least until they find some real ones. I'll be trying this soon because I need something as well to hold in those pesky panels. check thezstore.com, I think they had them fairly cheap on the site.

I got these a while back. 20 for $11 delivered http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/70-78-Datsun-240Z-260Z-280Z-trim-panel-clips-rivets_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33705QQihZ012QQitemZ220122425174QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWD1V

Don't know about the size and type you need but http://www.mcmaster.com/ has many different plastic rivits for a whole lot cheaper than that, like 100 for around $15 plus shipping. Search for plastic rivits.

Thanks for the help. I actually went to pep boys and got some toyota/nissan interior rivets and they work! It's a couple of bucks for about 12 of them. But I had to drill/widen some of the holes in the body just a tad for the rivets to work in all the holes.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

I use something a little different, they are yellow plastic things that you push inside where the rivet use to go. Except that these have a hole where you can screw a screw in. When you do exactly that the yellow things swell up as the screw goes an, and voila, neat-o interior rivets. ( i got them at my job, ACE hardware). PM me if you want to see some pics of the stuff and what sizes and what it looks like in my car, or just ask me on this thread.

N3RB, excellent idea! That'll get rid of some minor vibrations in the rear panels.

Thanks for the compliments everyone. Over the 1.5 years I spent looking for the perfect 240z, I found one with almost all of the body work re-done and perfect, zero rust, and I really mean this! The perfect thing was the brakes/suspension/interior was in need of an overhaul so it was just what I wanted. It also had over 220,000 miles on it and got it for a pretty good deal and didn't care too much because it was so well maintained. It's also got a clean (chromed valve cover) L28 w/ SU's, MSD 6A Ignition, mild cam, and 2.5" exhaust.

My car was also on the cover of Road & Track Magazine in 1991. I can't find the original cover, but this was the picture used on the cover back in '91.

1970%20Z%20Orange%201280.jpg

I got the whole thing for 5000. Expensive for a Z but I think it was worth it because my knowledge on body work is O K, and to have a body shop do all the body work on the car will be lots of $$$. It's a January 71 so it's a Series 1, and the motor is rebuilt with only 25,000 miles as well.

EDIT: The 918 orange is not the original color of the car, but when the car was painted it was completely stripped of everything to bare metal, minor rust repaired, and painted inside and out. I've also recently POR-15'd the suspension, fender wheels, and soon to be floors.

Oh and I'm turning 18 in 2 months, this thread is quite old.

I use something a little different, they are yellow plastic things that you push inside where the rivet use to go. Except that these have a hole where you can screw a screw in. When you do exactly that the yellow things swell up as the screw goes an, and voila, neat-o interior rivets. ( i got them at my job, ACE hardware). PM me if you want to see some pics of the stuff and what sizes and what it looks like in my car, or just ask me on this thread.

Sounds like plastic drywall anchors.

Do they look like this??

plastic1.jpg

I use these rivets...Nissan part# 66860-01W01. They are not any cheaper but completely reusable because the have a phillips head. You still press them in like original rivets but then screw them out instead of pushing the center post through.

Just one thing....you need to redrill the sheet metal holes one size larger.

Cheers

I got the whole thing for 5000. Expensive for a Z but I think it was worth it because my knowledge on body work is O K, and to have a body shop do all the body work on the car will be lots of $$$. It's a January 71 so it's a Series 1, and the motor is rebuilt with only 25,000 miles as well.

EDIT: The 918 orange is not the original color of the car, but when the car was painted it was completely stripped of everything to bare metal, minor rust repaired, and painted inside and out. I've also recently POR-15'd the suspension, fender wheels, and soon to be floors.

Oh and I'm turning 18 in 2 months, this thread is quite old.

A picture of your car just showed up on ebay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Nissan-Datsun-Z-ZX-Anthology-2008-CD-ROM-photos-videos_W0QQitemZ360040519529QQihZ023QQcategoryZ13561QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem