HybridZ

The slightly disappointing truth about weight.

So, I finally got around to weighing the Z today. I weighed it just before I started the swap, and was hoping with the aluminum block and such to lose a little poundage. I had removed the fuel injection from the old L28 and replaced that with SU's many years ago. I am still running AC, still have full 280 bumpers, etc. so the difference is purely from the engine/trans swap. I filled up at the same gas station and drove directly to the scales so the tank would be as close to the same as possible.

Before- L28 with 5sp

Front 1400

Rear 1420

After- LS2 with T56

Front 1480

Rear 1520

I knew the T56 was much bigger/heavier than the old 5 speed, but I thought the engine to be lighter, and with a lighter radiator I would be a little lighter on the front axle. And it feels lighter on the front just driving around town.

I still love driving the thing, it just surprised me a little.

Mike

After lifting a t56, I'm not really supprised by the weight gain. Really 180 lbs is not bad. Especially considering the gain in power. Thanks for the post. That kind of exact info about weight gain from the swap is few and far between.

You will lose nearly 75 pounds by removing 76 style bumpers and shocks. I weighed them as I removed them...if that makes you feel any better. Weight removed at the ends of the car is great for better dynamic response to lateral forces.

Justin-

State scales, same ones both times (they leave them on when they are closed-very handy).

Cygnus-

I know several ways to lose some weight and the bumpers would be the first to go. I just wanted to see the results of the engine/trans swap.

Mike

The 180 lb weight gain is not surprising, but I believe there are other factors in the weight gain.

Did the exhaust system also change?

And if so, please describe the changes to the exhaust, and an estimate of the weight change due to the exhaust.

Mike,

Yes the exhaust changed. I had a header with 2 1/4 inch pipe with a single muffler on the L6. I used your Sanderson headers with 3" pipe with a Magnaflow resonator and Magnaflow muffler. I don't know what that weighs, but I know it is quite a bit more. The Y pipe is past the trans so there is quite a bit more pipe too.

Mike

I guess that just the mounting kit also adds some weight on the front. It was not light.

1tuffz posted before saying:

I weighed an L26 fully dressed with a zx 5 speed vs the LS1 and t56. Results are posted somewhere here on hybrid but the L26 is heavier than the LS and t56 outweighs the zx 5 speed. net result for my comparison-the LS/t56 combo weighs about 23 more pounds total, but as mentioned above, the weight is lower and more toward the middle of the car.

This has been well documented elsewhere, and yes, it is disappointing... The LS1/2/6 is supposed to be such a light platform and all... Reality is that the motor is probably about the same (+/-50#) as the L6 powerplant with all accessories... The tranny is the kiss of death... However, going to a T5 or TKO and blow proof bellhousing isn't any lighter...

The key is the power to weight ratio. When guys swap to a turbo setup, they add even more weight... Is what it is... These cars are lighter than current platforms. But they're not ubber light weight competitors unless they are gutted.

Mike

• 4 weeks later...

I weighed the boys 260z with the sbc swap, PG and the 9 inch ford, weighs 2750 with my lard butt in the car. Don't have front and rear weights.

Passenger seat is going next, so that should shave about 20 to 30 pounds or so. A aluminum racing seat would shave another 20 or so as well.

im shooting for 2000 lbs.. but i wont have an interior. the sticker on my 72 under the hood says that the car weighed 2200 lbs from the factory..

With a fiberglass body (about medium build thickness), I was able to get my '71 down to 2160 (with a cage). The cage added about 100 pounds to that figure. Completely gutted, fiberglass door skins, and all unused brackets removed (no hinges or latches anywhere). I was also using a 289 Ford with a T-5, and this combo was lighter than the OEM combination.Getting it down to 2000 or less will be a formidable challenge.