HybridZ

9 second RB30 street 240z nearing completion

RIPSNZ

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Next update: the multi-coil mounting bracket has been made and the ignitor mounted beside it on the firewall:

rips240zcoilmountqs1.jpg

Next up we've started collecting the parts for the NOS system, it will be 2 stage with a single fogger just before the throttle body and then a direct port 6 fogger kit in the plenim as well, the entire system will be capable of adding 875hp but obviously we won't be running anywhere near that:

rips240znossystemparts0pe0.jpg

rips240znossystemparts0ii3.jpg

Next will be the custom plenim (the plenim in the other pix is not the actual one for this car) and intercooler pluming.

I'll update more as we go.

Rob

Hi Rob. Will be great to see a 240 gracing the strip with an RB in it!!

Did you sell the datto ute to fund this project?! i saw it on Trademe.

I'm pretty much at the same stage as you with my 260z, ie building mounts and crossmember to fit my rb25det. although i'm only going to have probably 230-250kw!!

I have been toying with the idea of laser cutting an alloy sump flange and making up a few alloy sumps to fit rb's in z cars, at the moment i just cut up an rb20 sump, spun it 180 deg, and then welded in extra material to allow extra oil capacity. making the baffles/ windage tray took a bit of nutting out but i reckon i got it sorted.

Cheers Justin

I have been toying with the idea of laser cutting an alloy sump flange and making up a few alloy sumps to fit rb's in z cars, at the moment i just cut up an rb20 sump, spun it 180 deg, and then welded in extra material to allow extra oil capacity. making the baffles/ windage tray took a bit of nutting out but i reckon i got it sorted.

Cheers Justin

There's someone on the SAU forums that made a sump flange, but they turned out to be mediocre in quality and there were other issues with the kit.

However, I'm curious to know if you've read anything on designing efficient baffles and sump trap doors and such. It's one thing I'd like to work on after the engine is mounted and the car is drivable.

Update time:

We've made a shatter sheild for the flex plate and converter:

rips240zshattersheild00gk3.jpg

rips240zshattersheild00hd6.jpg

The trans oil cooler with thermostaticly controled fan is also mounted:

rips240ztranscooleroh1.jpg

Next up is the beginnings of the custom drag sump, it will have a 240 volt oil heater and an oil temp guage:

rips240zsumpextention00nd1.jpg

Will update more as we go,

Rob

Update time:

Sump is finished and acid dipped ready for installation to the short block:

rips240zsumpfinished001np4.jpg

rips240zsumpfinished002si0.jpg

Next is the 600 x 300 x 115 bar and plate intercooler core mounts:

rips240zintercoolertopmns8.jpg

We'll make custom sheetmetal alloy tanks (3 inch inlet, 4 inch outlet) which will keep the intercooler plumbing very short.

More next week,

Rob

Update time:

The short block is finished. We want to test the limits of the stock cradle, stock mains bolts and stock crank, it has billet rods, forged pistons and TOMEI oil pump so it will be interesting to see how far it will go:

rips240zenginegoingtogenv2.jpg

And with the sump on:

rips240zenginegoingtogeni2.jpg

why spend all this cash and not upgrade the cradle, main bolts and crank? I feel like if your "seeing how far they can go" youre expecting them to break....which seems like a lot more work then having them break with the build.

just curious

Rob has (here in New Zealand and now the UK) a massive reputation in building absolute grunter rb engines (particularly rb30dets). The only way to know what an engine can handle is to try and then see where it falls short. Why spend a huge amount of cash if you dont need to?!

Hopefully Rob can answer this a bit better than me :mrgreen:, and yeah, Rob!- any new developments?!!!