HybridZ

Just got my hands on a gt42

Hey guys been slowly pluggin away at my z for a year and a half now and i am starting to the light at the end of the tunnel. i had planed on using a t3/t04b hybrid but today my dad bought a borg warner gta42, more hp quicker spooling time, for his kenworth with a 12.8liter detroit diesel series 60 and as i was taking the old turbo out and i was joking about how he should let me have it and to my amazment he said i could. so the game plan has changed a bit >:) right now it has a 1.34 a/r turbine housing and .60a/r comp. with 5in inlet 3in outlet approx. i just used measuring tape. i know the turbine housing is huge and is going to spool way high in the rpm range. i want something that will spool up by 3800 at the most really, is that doable with this turbo with a small a/r turbine housing? also i did a search for gt42 to see how many other guys have one and what they are running for injectors with it and didnt find much so any links to posts or more info would be great. also anything on flanges and mounting the heavy beast would be awesome prob going to stick with stock turbo manifold if i can

Hey guys been slowly pluggin away at my z for a year and a half now and i am starting to the light at the end of the tunnel. i had planed on using a t3/t04b hybrid but today my dad bought a borg warner gta42, more hp quicker spooling time, for his kenworth with a 12.8liter detroit diesel series 60 and as i was taking the old turbo out and i was joking about how he should let me have it and to my amazment he said i could. so the game plan has changed a bit >:) right now it has a 1.34 a/r turbine housing and .60a/r comp. with 5in inlet 3in outlet approx. i just used measuring tape. i know the turbine housing is huge and is going to spool way high in the rpm range. i want something that will spool up by 3800 at the most really, is that doable with this turbo with a small a/r turbine housing? also i did a search for gt42 to see how many other guys have one and what they are running for injectors with it and didnt find much so any links to posts or more info would be great. also anything on flanges and mounting the heavy beast would be awesome prob going to stick with stock turbo manifold if i can

hmm I think getting a GT42 to full spool at 3800 on the L6 is alittle on the. not even in your wildest dreams side of things.. Even running N20 to help spooling I dont think you will get anywhere near that.. also depends on how much boost you are wanting to run, if you have a turbo header, port work done on the head, and what EMS you will be running..

Ya, no way you will have full boost by 3800. You'll be lucky to get 1 psi by then. Doesn't matter what hotside a/r you put on it. That's a huge jump from a T3/4. Running a turbo that large really is wasted on a small engine unless you are looking to run 30+ psi and have it come on way up top. Not saying it won't work but you won't really gain anything from such a large turbo with low boost other than lag.

ya im going to be running an electromotive lt-8 ems tuned with my wb02, msd 6btm cdi with electronic dizzy, ported stock turbo manifold and bead blasted to mirror shine almost, street/track porting nothing too crazy, cc'ed to 3.4cc's larger than stock i think 48cc's, ported n42 intake with 60mm tb, 42lb/hr inj., 24x12x3 intercooler, tuliped and swirl polished ss valves, 280/270 turbo grind cam, lightened the flywheel quite a bit, arp studs throughout, weakest link is the stock dished pistons. i was planning on running 13psi or so until i could afford to have some new one made. but all this still prob wont spin that big ass turbo huh? it says here that its good for 2.0-8.0l engines but i dunno if thats anything to go by or not http://www.turbobygarrett.com/turbobygarrett/catelog/Turbochargers/GT42/GT4294_731376_1.htm

ya im going to be running an electromotive lt-8 ems tuned with my wb02, msd 6btm cdi with electronic dizzy, ported stock turbo manifold and bead blasted to mirror shine almost, street/track porting nothing too crazy, cc'ed to 3.4cc's larger than stock i think 48cc's, ported n42 intake with 60mm tb, 42lb/hr inj., 24x12x2 intercooler, tuliped and swirl polished ss valves, 280/270 turbo grind cam, lightened the flywheel quite a bit, arp studs throughout, weakest link is the stock dished pistons. i was planning on running 13psi or so until i could afford to have some new one made. but all this still prob wont spin that big ass turbo huh? it says here that its good for 2.0-8.0l engines but i dunno if thats anything to go by or not http://www.turbobygarrett.com/turbobygarrett/catelog/Turbochargers/GT42/GT4294_731376_1.htm

Yes you can run a gt42 on a 2l or a 2.8 liter engine but running a turbo that can flow enough air for 800 hp also has to exit enough air for 800 hp. The mods you've listed are good for 400-450. Why run such a large turbo if you don't need it for your power level? 2" thick IC and 42lb/hr inj are on the small side, Lt-8 is Microtec not Electromotive. Why run an MSD BTM with standalone? I would research a little more. Beadblasting your manifold wouldn't even be on my list. I'm not trying to flame just don't understand. A turbo that can make 800 won't make it unless the boost is there. For you to get out of it what it can do you'll need race gas and boost and expect a not so street friendly powermand. I would look at a gt4088. You can get smaller hotssides from limit engineering. Alot of 3l guys run these and they come on alot faster than 42's.

sorry had some typos on that last post microtec lt-8 ems and its a 3" thick ic not 2 and 42lb inj are too small just what i got at the moment. im running the 6btm cuz the microtec isn't cdi, i know the lt-8 already has boost retard so i dont the boost retartd function on the 6btm as well but its what i had bought already for something else. what i was shooting for when i set out to build the z was 400-450hp daily driver and am thinking i will stick with the t3/4 hybrid for this build and start amassing parts for a monster drag z in the future more suitable for for the drag strip than running around town.

what i was shooting for when i set out to build the z was 400-450hp daily driver and am thinking i will stick with the t3/4 hybrid for this build and start amassing parts for a monster drag z in the future more suitable for for the drag strip than running around town.

That's probably a good idea- as others have already pointed out, the GT42 is probably not the best "first" turbo. I don't get boost until ~5000rpm, and power stays pretty flat all the way to the 7800rpm rev limit. If you want to make the kind of power a GT42 can deliver with an L-series, you should plan to build an engine than can rev that high reliably and that can breathe at those RPMs. Then you need to worry about whether the driveline can handle it (both the trans and the diff, not to mention the axles, suspension, brakes, body and pretty much everything else on the car).

Just last Friday I appear to have found the next weak link in my engine - I had a valvetrain failure at ~7700 rpm. Not a huge failure as I was able to limp home, but it looks like I was seeing some valve float at ~7700rpm and a lash pad failed, of all things. Now I have to go and revisit the my valvetrain to see what can be done to raise the reliable rev limit.

It's much better to set your initial goals lower and ease your way into things. You'll learn a LOT more that way, too. Just because a couple of people on the forum have made some big big numbers doesn't mean that you will, especially not on the first try. Both JeffP and I have spent literally years refining things, trying different things, sh1tcanning things when they didn't work and starting over. None of this stuff is easy, none of it comes cheap, and it seldom comes in a kit.

Hell, a 300hpZ will scare the sh1t out of you and most of your friends, and will be much easier to achieve and maintain as a first effort.

ya ive found a 83 280zx about 15mi. away with an automatic that would be good a place to start. i think i can get it for under 500. i saw it sitting in an old pole barn about a year ago when i was driving around and stopped. i was curious about when your power came on tim and ya thats a bit too high for me my cam is only good for 7200rpms. Does anyone make titanium valvetrain components for Z's that would be nice. Seems like i saw them somewhere once. you run a N42 as well dont you tim? whats your cr and what r u running for pistons if you dont mind me asking? 8.08 is what i should be at with the build im working on and i think that should allow me plenty of room for boost w/o detonation wouldnt you say.

Just sell that giant snail on e-bay and with the money, buy something that will suit your need...

Just think of what you want and the parts you'll NEED to achieve it and then, choose a turbine accordingly...

Don't try to just DO with what you already HAVE cause, it's probably going to end up all wrong...

My $0.02.

yeah i hear ya there, im gonna keep the gt42 around for a future build though:) . ive got pretty much everything matched up the way i want except forged pistons and the drivetrain for my current build. my 42lb injectors will be enough for now cuz my pistons wont take any more power than i can make already. just need to get the damn thing painted and together. also tim did you ever get your egt down?

"Then you need to worry about whether the driveline can handle it (both the trans and the diff, not to mention the axles, suspension, brakes, body and pretty much everything else on the car)."

LOL, I feel your pain man!

• 7 months later...
just thinking loudly..

Well think for a few more seconds before you post.

Just look at the compressor map of your desired turbo and them plot your engine's CFM range on it. Watch it not even make it to the surge line at 7k RPMs. :wc::icon13:

Bigger is not always better.

TimZ has put years of research and development into his motor. I just hope you plan on some serious modifications to be able to withstand the extreme RPMs that you will have to use to get to any amount of boost.