HybridZ

twin turbo v8 general parts?

hey guys, i have a 300zxTT and it gave me the idea to twin turbo a v8 in a van when i move to hawaii. so i was wondering where a guy would go to buy a set of turbo manifolds for a V8! every forum that i have read has fab'ed ones but i won't have the tools or time for fab work... i love boost and i need a mobile garage when i move so a van is perfect for my sleeper idea.

There are some on ebay but like you say I don't know if anyone's ever used them (haha). SSautochrome (SSautocrap) sells some for a few hundred bucks but I don't know if they'd be worth their weight in piss. I say it jokingly but I really don't think anyone has ever used them, people assume they are junk which they probably are but.....

http://www.ssautochrome.com/level.itml/icOid/1354

They have complete kits too but EVERYONE says run away from their turbo's. So really it's a gamble. Yes, you do get what you pay for. Yes it might be all hype. Good luck either way.

I bought that twin turbo kit ss sells, on pure speculation and a whim.

Tell you what , the parts look pretty darned good. My kit even came with about 6 stainless J bends and a bunch of silicon hose parts plus some nice clamps.

The box it shipped in was huge.

The turbos are often bad mouthed as being made of glued together halves, etc. They *look* fine to me, and I've had about 6 turbo cars that I've worked on over the years. I looked up some of the Chinese turbo manufacturers and they are ISO rated, huge places. They supply turbos to mostly diesel trucks I think.

These people are serious about making good stuff. The factories are the size of a football field. They dedicate a whole town to turbos and exhaust companies.

I don't know if I'll use them yet, I havn't decided on twin or single turbo yet for my LT1 project. I'd say for the price, it's worth a try. You can throw away the turbos and still save money. Spare turbos are about $350 each.

-Les

There are some on ebay but like you say I don't know if anyone's ever used them (haha). SSautochrome (SSautocrap) sells some for a few hundred bucks but I don't know if they'd be worth their weight in piss. I say it jokingly but I really don't think anyone has ever used them, people assume they are junk which they probably are but.....

http://www.ssautochrome.com/level.itml/icOid/1354

They have complete kits too but EVERYONE says run away from their turbo's. So really it's a gamble. Yes, you do get what you pay for. Yes it might be all hype. Good luck either way.

very interesting... i have heard the name SSautochrome and i have been warned as well. i like the "look" of their parts in the pics, looks professional but like you said, who knows. its a little strange that they make stuff for chevy and ford, but nothing for a dodge. at least for turbo manifolds...

ya thats pretty much what i would expect to hear. i'm moving to hawaii in 7 days. i'll have a condo and be a full time student again. so where am i gonna be working on my van.... (in the parking lot). can't really fab to much there, even if i had a welder and the tools i need! is there any options that i haven't thought about yet?

The problem with most of those posts is that people are just repeating over and over again that the stuff is junk. There is the infamous picture of the turbo splitting in half of course. I have seen one thread where a guy documented his success with one of their turbos on his truck for about a year and that was like a 3 year old post so who knows what ever happened to it. Seems like it was on turbo mustangs or something completely unrelated (it was a chevy truck IIRC). Anyway, if I had money to burn I would give them a shot. As it is if I was you I might consider buying headers, bov, wastegate and intercooler from them. I'm not sure I would chance it on the turbos unless I bought the whole kit for $650 (because I would already have them). Just my opinion.

ya it was like 650 for everything.. including the turbo's. i'll look more into it, but if i bought that kit and found some used z32 turbo's i would feel a little better. assuming they will bolt up. i have never worked on any other turbo car so this will be an adventure.

ya it was like 650 for everything.. including the turbo's. i'll look more into it, but if i bought that kit and found some used z32 turbo's i would feel a little better. assuming they will bolt up. i have never worked on any other turbo car so this will be an adventure.
Do you have any pictures of your kit or a link to place you purchased you kit from. Thanks Jerry

ya i haven't bought the kit yet jnjdragracing, im still in the mainland and i don't have my van yet. but if i do decide to buy something i'll let ya know!

so there really isn't any other "kits" out there with a better rep? i guess the worst that could happen is the turbo's go. that shouldn't have any after affects on the engine right? so maybe its worth a shot. assuming the welds on the manifolds are ok.

ya thats pretty much what i would expect to hear. i'm moving to hawaii in 7 days. i'll have a condo and be a full time student again. so where am i gonna be working on my van.... (in the parking lot). can't really fab to much there, even if i had a welder and the tools i need! is there any options that i haven't thought about yet?

Well, I'll be moving to Oahu in Nov (where are you gonna be?), and will possibly have garage if you need a place to work on it. Always willing to help out a fellow Z'er.

1 in 10 chance of failure, no?

I have not seen that rate of failure form the people who are using them. SSautochrome often sells their junk as if it were master power but it is not. turbomustangs.com has some good threads on master power reliability

Well, I'll be moving to Oahu in Nov (where are you gonna be?), and will possibly have garage if you need a place to work on it. Always willing to help out a fellow Z'er.

hell ya! im going to be in oahu too. my buddy and i got a condo at the hawaiin monarch on Nui street. are you bringing your Z?