HybridZ

Great doner parts cars for Z mods

Careless

Hey everyone,

I took apart some interior pieces from two cars yesterday and today, and I'd like to share what I found to be some interesting parts that could be very easily modifiable to fit a interior.

Most have to do with the doors.

I've taken apart a 91 (the one with the CA20) Stanza GXE. I took the entire power window system, as well as the door lock mechanisms. What I found was that the power window system is almost PERFECT for the Z windows. It fits in the Z door easily, and it uses only two mounting points on the window, and the regulator and motor assembly are straight forward.

It uses a half inch thick bar with a cable pulley system (no scissor type, here). It's mounted using two bolts, and should be easy to set at the right angle to allow the window to move up and down.

Another good feature of this, is that the motors themselves can be mounted about 16 inches away from the regulator themselves, and the motors are quite powerful when the track is lubed and the battery has ample life left in it. It's a good idea to take all the connectors and cut them on the OPPOSITE side of the door harness, that way you get both sides of the appropriate connectors, from the door and the interior. However, taking those connectors out of those small corners of the Stanza is a PITA, i tell you. It's a good thing the bones in my hands are loose, cause I've made them into shapes that I didn't know hands were capable of being in, all for those connectors! *shakes cut and bruised, flappy fist*

The door lock mechanisms are a flat type of solenoid poper, and are most likely easily openable aswell, if you can get locks that have micro-switches installed, or use the ones that come on the stanza too.

Remember to take everything from the doors that you can, and the glass too, if you intend on taking the bolt hole mount tabs (they might be hard to take off though, but I gather that it could be done (will try soon).

It might be a good idea to get at the Rear main harness connector, just under the passenger seat. It's a weather pack connector with 2 pins or so, and it's a nice unit, and could probably be re-pinned, or cut close to the pins and resoldered. They come with a removable rear face, so that the pins can be accessed. However, I didn't get that connector because the car is being driven onto the trailer to go to the scrappers tomorrow.

I also took apart a 92 (i think) Camry LE V6 today. Took all the same parts out, however, the DOOR HANDLES and WINDOW SWITCHES are very nice. the door handles LOOK like the Z handles, and are made of die-cast steel, and then chromed. It has a very tough finish, and it's a quality unit. AND it only needs about 1/3 inch of cutting around the stock Z mounting hole to get to fit. And if you have a black interior on your Z, it might only need a hint of colour die to get the plastic colour to match. (the grey on the door escutcheon is actually almost black, so it's hard to see the contrast, except for the fact that my door was EXTREMELY dusty).

The window switches are small and square, and have holding tabs on the opposite side. They would require the actual door to be cut just about an inch in either direction, and the door panel to be cut to house the switch as well. they are about 1.5 x 2 inches in size, and are a nice unit to adapt to the Stanza setup.

Another great keeper from the Camry is the solenoid popper for the door. They are HEAVY duty units. I mean, BIG solenoid poppers for that kind of locking mechanism. I think it's because it's integrated right where the latch is, and it gets some kick back from the opening and closing, and it's got a nice THUNK when it's activated. Maybe Toyota tried to save money when using the Previa solenoid poppers on other cars to order a larger bulk.

They might be a better unit than the flat and weaker Stanza ones, but We'll see how that goes.

I also took the Power mirrors and Mirror adjustment switch from BOTH cars, and I might be using the Camry one to control a cable system for the fender mirrors when I get to that point (they're going on the shelf).

I might use the stanza power mirrors for another feature on my car that uses Camry C-pillar quarter windows. THIS YOU GOTTA SEE, but when I'm closer to body work. I'm anxious to show you guys what that's going to be used for, and I'm sure that with the other parts that I've got ready to go on, it will be quite a treat :mrgreen:

I'll try and get the window frame and the window back on the z (if I get some graphic work out in time), so that I can post results. I'll probably end up posting pictures tomorrow, but if it works, we may have a nice junkyard donor to get us some nice bracketry and devices for power windows.

I will be rewiring my entire 76 280z interior, so I'm hoping that whatever I wire in will have the proper relays and whatnot. If not, I don't think it will be too hard to make the kit work with a test light and a multimeter, and such tools.

WILL KEEP YOU GUYS POSTED :mrgreen:

Raff

I am very curious how this will work out! I want power windows at a minimum in my Z. Since my regulator on the passenger side is shot, if this works as slick as you say, I will be pulling some stanza power windows mfrom the local yard!

I'm hoping I can get into the garage tonight to work on some of it, at the very least. perhaps get the tabs on the window and have them lined up with the reg. But I won't be able to get it fully working yet. But I'm almost 100% sure that if you're going to use any system, this is the one to use.

Just remember to take everything when you grab it. every connector, on both sides, every bolt, even the windows if you can (or atleast break them and get the screw tabs for the reg.

This was taken from another website, (it's a honda accord reg and motor), but basically the same thing you're looking for. Due to the motor being attached at the top portion with both cables, you have extra motor mobility/positioning in comparison to the motors that have cable systems on both the top and the bottom of the regulator.

accord1414.jpg

Infact, my stanza reg looks almost exactly like that.

Careless hope you don't mind if I post in your thread, I have done something similar as you . I took the power window system from an early to mid 90's Camery and put it in my 280. the front door system was the correct length and almost the correct arc ast the 280, to get the correct arc you just have to "massage" it to match the datsun window tracks.

I had to modify the mount on the camery bracket to match the datsun window base frame, and build a bracket to space the bottom correctly,

getting everything to move smoothly without binding will take some time.

Heres the camery window mechanism.

DSC00035.JPG

Compared to the stock mechanism

DSC000481.JPG

Stock Weight

DSC000491.JPG

Vs camery track and motor

DSC000501.JPG

Installed in the door

DSC000511.JPG

Wish I had took more pictures while installing it but once I started working on it I forgot to take pics.

heres a movie I took on my still camera.

Careless hope you don't mind if I post in your thread, I have done something similar as you . I took the power window system from an early to mid 90's Camery and put it in my 280. the front door system was the correct length and almost the correct arc ast the 280, to get the correct arc you just have to "massage" it to match the datsun window tracks.

I had to modify the mount on the camery bracket to match the datsun window base frame, and build a bracket to space the bottom correctly,

getting everything to move smoothly without binding will take some time.

Post all you want, you've done the hard part already :mrgreen:

I think my install would be just a tad easier, as I can maneuver the motor areas where the double-ended regulator. However, your motor looks a teeny tiny bit smaller than the one i've got.

The good thing is I got 4 of them regulators, and I think two are shorter than the others (rear doors), so I might not have to modify them if they're too long.

Looking at the 280z manual regulator, i can take the Camry LE model motors I HAVE and put those right onto the stock 280z reg!

however, It's even heavier than the stanza unit, and that's balls!

Power windows and weight savings sounds like a deal to me =)

I'm gonna go take some pics. :D

Power windows and weight savings sounds like a deal to me =)

] :D

Heck yeah! My window regulator for the driver's side of my early 260 has been driving me nuts! The window has been down for a year because I didn't want to spend the 5 minutes to get the window up. LOL "Fair weather only"

Saving a pound and gaining power windows is sweet!

I'll be watching this progress!

OTM

Hey guys,

I didn't do much, other than clean the garage up. I noticed that two of the stanza regulators have even LONGER wire cables than the other, therefore it can be positioned with even more flexibility in terms of fitment.

As for the window regulator bolt tabs that go on the bottom of the window, I've located a part number from the stock stanza window, as i dropped it by accident on its corner, and it exploded into a mess of crackling glass (quite fun though, thankfully I was wearing my glasses).

Code: 80320-41L00

Price:$7.27

So after sweepin up a mess of glass, I compared the other door tracks to the Z door. looks like the one with the longer cable will need to be taken apart to be cleaned.

I just hope I don't break anything while doing it.

ALSO, the solenoids for the stanza are small flat-top box type ratcheting solenoids. They should be perfect for the Z car. BUT, if i can successfully mount the camry ones somewhere, I will, because they are heavy duty solenoid poppers, and are a touch stronger than the stanza ones.

however, the stanzas would fit better, and are probably easier to service.

I'm going to put the door assembly back together soon so I can plan the way it's supposed to go back on.

hopefully it's not a huge mess to put back together, i labelled all my bolts and such that i took off the car, so I hope I didn't label anything wrongly.

• 1 year later...
Old thread; but, I REALLY wish that it was 'concluded'....

I'm glad you bumped it, I recalled reading a thread like this (Most likely this very one) and when I was seraching for it, I couldn't find it. I remembered seeing the video of the window in action that 78zlt1 posted.

Now saved in my I.E. favorites. :mrgreen:

I took the 'Donor Car' info and went to the JY. Plenty of Camrys, and ONE Stanza with PW. In a great bit of fate, there happened to [still] be a '73 [same as mine] with one door gutted and on the car [other door gone]. I spent nearly the whole day pulling PW assemblies. I got ones from Infinitis [J30], Acuras [Legend REAR], Nissans [stanza, 280ZX], and Toyotas [Camry], Lexus [LS] and Mitsubishi [Eclispe]. Many were obviously too long, based upon window size, door height and distance of 'travel'. Surprisingly, a lot of newer luxury cars still use a 'scissor' configuration, as opposed to the Stanza unit pic above. The Acura & Infiniti ones were VERY light, w/ NICE motors.

I like the simpler Stanza design more. That being said, I STILL cannot quite understand...using the Stanza-type set-up, do I remove the ENTIRE OE window system from the 240Z door to use this, or do they work in conjunction? Do I remove the OE metal base plate from the OE windows and just use the tabs from the donor car?

I am mentally 'challenged' I guess when it comes to customizing these types of things. I realize that the Spal kit mentioned on another thread was essentially plug & play; but, there are other reasons why I am trying to go this alternate route.

So, though 'Careless' did this a LONG time ago, and doesn't have any assembly pics, I wonder if anyone else has more photo documentation of functioning power windows on a S30. I am at a critical phase in the paint prep/fabrication to where I need to resolve this asap.

Sorry i've confused you.

I did not actually complete this mod, I just had a bunch of power window motors laying around and the stanza one is simple and has a same-side cable exit. You would not need the factory regulator assembly, you just need to orient the stanza rail properly so it moves with out binding. To me, it looked like a sure fit.

I could be wrong, but I'm glad someone else is taking this bull by the horns and finding out where to go with the power window stuff.

There could be a lot of M30's we can ram-sack for parts.

• 2 months later...

The latch mechanisms and regulators are different; but, I think that you already know that ...? I would LOVE to see how you are adapting the Camry mechanisms. I tried in vain; but, couldn't get a consitent 'motion', and the window had to be 'tweaked' to seat every up & down cycle. Would love photo documentaion of your efforts.

If I can help in any way, just PM me; but, since I wasn't 100% successful, perhaps I'm not 'The Source'. But, we can bounce ideas of one another...

Kind of on the subject.

I was thinking of purchasing this "kit" and modifying it to work. Seems pretty straight forward if the measurements are close. Says the track can be shortened. I think im going to look into it and post my findings.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=310070100759

I currently have msa power window kit. Of course its over priced, slow, and very cheap quality. The other day it snapped the window crank it usually hooked on to. Not to mention it made the door panels fit like ♥♥♥♥.

Im an idiot for even getting that kit.