HybridZ

Which turbo mounting position on a V8?

OlderThanMe

Right now I am trying to figure out where I will mount my turbo on my VH45DE.

I have no reason to fear cutting on the tranny tunnel, cowl, or inner fenders for this setup.

I'd really like to do a top mount with the turbo set like this position: (turbo was sketched with the turbine/compressor spinning the wrong way... the turbo would actually hang over the engine and not toward the cabin)

b98482806.jpg

I'd rather stay away from a front mount as I am trying to keep weight away from the outer edges of the car. Since the car is going to be mainly for autox and track days keeping the weight centralized on the car as much as possible is a consideration I am looking at.

A bottom mount would be hard as there isn't much room around the steering shaft on the driver's side.

I'd also rather not do twin turbos to help keep the cost down. Ideally it would be better for quick spooling but a big single is enough for me. The VH can rev pretty high so I'm not worried about breaking anything by revving higher to get boost.

The headers will be made from 10 gauge stainless weld-el's and TIG welded to simplify fabrication.

I'd like to hear what y'all think or if you have any suggestions for turbo positioning on a V8. (don't even think STS...)

OTM

I can't quite picture where you would place the turbo if not at the front of the engine. It would have to be a small turbo to fit at the side. Good thinking about one instead of twins. Placement and fabrication will be much easier for the Z engine compartment. It's nice to see several V8 turbo projects underway at HybridZ.

I can't quite picture where you would place the turbo if not at the front of the engine. It would have to be a small turbo to fit at the side. Good thinking about one instead of twins. Placement and fabrication will be much easier for the Z engine compartment. It's nice to see several V8 turbo projects underway at HybridZ.

Turbomeister, Thank you for your comments!

I've watched your startup and burnout/super hard launch video WAY too many times!! I love the sound of that beast of a motor!

One thought that came to mind is to put the turbo where the battery normally sits. I have been pondering moving the battery to inside the car sitting on top of the tranny tunnel hugging the firewall. (with a STRONG mount) I'm not going to have any heater in the car and the aluminum dash I fabbed up has plenty of room behind it to hide stuff.

Hopefully I can get some pics and measurements in the next few days of what I am thinking. I don't mind not having hood clearance because I can always put a hood bulge/scoop there.

I was thinking about cutting away the cowl area and using that space to mount the turbo. The wiper mechanism sits far enough back that it should not interfere with anything.

The main problems I see with a front mount is the weight I am hanging out front and running a big single exhaust out of the engine bay.

I would like to route the exhaust out of the battery box and down to the side of the car.

A high mount like that would work, the Ford and Chevy turbo diesels are mounted like that.

2062597_15.jpg

I know you can't see the turbo on this Silverado but it is under the black plastic thing that says: 6.6 Turbo Diesel

2068681_20.jpg

There is a Ford F-350, you can easily see the turbo!

Are you gonna be running an FMIC? If you don't like the turbo up high you could do a rear mounted turbo like the STS guys are doing. With the STS the weight would be low, centered and as far back as you like.

Either way you mount the turbo it will involve quite some fabrication, but that's all part of the fun. The fact that you are not shy about cutting into any sheetmetal will make this task much easier. Maybe you will inspire future V8turbo fabricators to follow in your footsteps if you make it work.

Good luck

Hanns

Not quite sure about the air-air IC yet. Probably going to mount it inside a fender and put a scoop on top of the fender and duct it.

I'll be running an air-water intercooler as well to help in the short, super high boost runs.

Probably will have an ice chest I can put in for going to the drags or just have a standard radiator for normal use. I'll decide more about that when I get to that road. I just want to get the motor in the car with the turbo headers.

Drop_team_z:

I am thinking of something like that F350 mount if I can put 1/2 to 2/3 of the turbo under the hood. Thanks for the pics!

Hanns: Thank you! I have gone through a 2 year welding program at the local technical school so I know my way around a TIG welder. :-D

Now that I am going through a 4 year college for Mech. Engineering I am learning how to design this kind of stuff!

Carfan: I don't even think there is enough room under a Z to do a good STS setup. I'm going all out anyway so I'll just keep my turbo in the engine bay... :-D

Thanks anyway for the pic! I'll never turn down a pic of a clean turbo installation!

:-D

how about in front of the v8? you can mount the engine close to the firewall.. you can add a duct similar to what the "v-mount" cars are using.

the turbo would be in front of the engine.. lots of room!

In front is the backup plan if I can't get the top-mount to work.

I would get the engine in first and see what kind of room you really have.

That will be happening in December when I have some free time to pull my L6 stuff.

I have a small H1C core Holset but it should give me the aproximate size that I need for checking clearances.

There is a 98% chance I WILL be using the AUTO tranny.

Yeah yeah I know auto trannies don't go into sportscars but... It will be worth it. TRUST ME!

I also plotted the VH45 engine roughly onto an HX40 compressor map. It would be fine for under 5000 RPMS and would spool at around 2600RPMs at about 75%-77% efficient(sp?). The problem is that by the redline I'm not even on the compressor chart. That probably means I'll be using an HX50 or 55 to stay efficient and not blow hot air.

UNLESS... I do an HX40 and HX50 setup side by side and some trick valves. That is probably too much work and not enough space... Just a thought.

I may end up buying one of those Holset performance Pro52 turbos.

The GT4202R is also looking VERY nice...

Im faced with the same problem im about to start installing my hx52 and it has a 4" downpipe... where am i going to fit this pipe?? only thing i can think of is tunneling thrugh the passenger side firewall to get under the car....anyone else running 4" exhaust? any ideas?

Im faced with the same problem im about to start installing my hx52 and it has a 4" downpipe... where am i going to fit this pipe?? only thing i can think of is tunneling thrugh the passenger side firewall to get under the car....anyone else running 4" exhaust? any ideas?

I'll probably be running the 4" exhaust from the top mount through the battery box area and a couple 4" bullet mufflers and then down to a 5" sidepipe with some baffleing that I'll make to be removable. That is the current plan anyways.

A6t8vw: You may want to run dual 2.25" or 2.5" exhausts rather than a single 4"er. My car has about 5" of ground clearance so that is why I am going to run the exhaust to the side of the car tucked right up under the passenger side door. The rocker panel will be cut out and replaced with a piece of metal that curves inward like on the Ford Daytona to help scoot the exhaust inward.

Maybe I can get my hands on some used diesel exhaust bends to use to make the exhaust from.

I hope it won't be too loud...:rolleyesg I'd like it to be just as loud as my L26 with header, 2.5" pipe and empty turbo muffler. (i.e. you can only hear it from a half a mile away at redline, not more...)

The whole exhaust will be attached by about 4 or 5 V-band clamps in various places so that the exhaust can be removed in a few minutes.

After playing with an HX40 compressor map for a while and comparisons with a 5.0 ford guy it seems that the HX40 will be out of breath by 5500RPMS. The HX50 should spool by 3300-3500 (guessing from a comparison)on a stock displacement VH45. I really do need a REAL HX50 compressor map to work from.

A 5.0 ford guy said the HX50 spools at 3000 and never runs out of breath. For my higher revving VH that sounds just about right to spool 500-700 RPMs later. Controlling VVT with the Wolf and some other turbo tricks I should be able to get the HX50 spool down at 3000.(just trying to find a HX50 map on the web...) If the HX50 is NEAR the Pro52 then it looks promising.

If all turns out well I'll buy a new or rebuilt turbo since staying with the auto tranny will save me some money.

Dan, you're custom fabricating a new intake manifold, right?

Max,

The thing with the VH is that the intake runners point like straight up. (well the mounting surface is flat, the runners are angled heavily inward right at the back of the valves)

I want my ITB's to be right in line with the runners so that may add some height.

Now it may be possible to cram the turbo down in-between the ITB's and just use a LOT of heat shielding.

I'll pull my intake manifold in the morning and play with my core holset to see if it is even a possibility to mount it like that.

Thanks for the idea!

Pics of VH motors:

w99792562.jpg

m101453313.jpg

T_series_Holset_HX_comparison.jpg

some holst maps i found

Hturborange.jpg

index.php?action=dlattach;topic=74750.0;attach=48768;image

click on image

First keep in mind that holsets of the same numerical name can have different wheel sizes. Ive heard h1e's can have 57-63mm wheels. Also when compairing the hx35 to an h1e isnt really that close. The h1e has a closer realation ship to the hx40 and the h1c has a closer relationship with the hx35. Its comparable to the 60-1 or 62-1 line of turbos. Your prob not going to make big..big numbers with one, but its good on a mild setup.

The hx50 will flow 92.5 lb/min approx 925 HP

I saw those two pics on the turbo forums...

If the HX50 is in the middle between the HX40 and HX60 then I am in bigtime business. Still looking for an HX50 map though.

The H1E would be great for a pair of twins.

My Holset core is an H1C... Pretty small. It supposedly will swap turbine housings with an HX35 though to eleminate the internal wastegate.

Wow that pic of the motor really makes me want to look into a V8 again... hmm. IMHO, get the turbo toward the front to minimize the cold side piping; especially for autoX. Even though that monster in a little S30 isn't going to require much boost to make the rear end lively.

• 3 weeks later...