HybridZ

280ZX Turbo CV Rebuild

SSflyer

There was a post a few months ago about difficulty in finding a source for rebuilt CV's. Well, it appears that Rock Auto has a rebuild service and can turn the parts around in a week plus shipping time. The costs are $75 for the right side, and $70 for the left, which may or may not be a fair price, but I'm going to try them out. The only 'catch' is that they rebuild the axles you send them, no exchange. I'll post up when they come back and let y'all know if they are a viable source...

• 5 weeks later...

OK, here's the update....

One CV axle was actually in stock at Rock Auto and shipped immediately. The other side had to go to their rebuild center, and it came back yesterday. Both look like new units, sandblasted, painted, new boots and end caps. Rock Auto seems to have their act together on the whole process, and they've actually refunded the core charge without me having to call and yell at somebody. I also had my diff reworked at AZ Driveline in Phoenix and they found a toasted pinion bearing. The input flange was extremely difficult to turn before, so hopefully I'll even pick up an hp or two. So tomorrow will see all the 'new' parts reinstalled and the car back on the road.

Another update....

Went to install the CVs yesterday and the one that was shipped from their stock is way too long to fit. Evidently they had a mislabeled part. Since they already have my core we'll see now how good they are at fixing a real problem! I'll get a picture or two shortly...

Another update....

Went to install the CVs yesterday and the one that was shipped from their stock is way too long to fit. Evidently they had a mislabeled part. Since they already have my core we'll see now how good they are at fixing a real problem! I'll get a picture or two shortly...

Ha! It's probably the same one they sent me.... :(

This sounds very similar to the issues with the 300ZXT CVs I and others have been having. I suspect that the remand folks don't do much quality control and end up mixing up the left and right side shafts. I was also thinking that it also may not be as critical to have the wrong size/side shaft in your Z31, but have to rethink that theory for 280ZXs.

All I can say, after toasting a perfectly good 3:90 ring set with new bearings, in less than 150 miles is, DO NOT use the wrong shafts!

Beware of `Rebuilt`tripods. If there is any wear in the races, the only viable solution for rebuild is to grind them oversize and install a bigger ball bearing.

Now, if the ball bearing was only 0.010´´ thicker, that may not be a problem. But from the pair I saw, they were the next standard metric oversize ball bearing. Which meant the oversized ground races they ride in had all the surface hardening ground out of them, and the balls were riding on the softer inner metal of the tripod carrier. They lasted half a pass, and hte ball bearings ate right through the carrier.

Put in a set of junkyard pieces and they´re still running.

Mosat driveline shops can dissassemble them, install new boots and pack them with grease for $50-75 a side. It´s NOT ´rebuild´but simply a repacking service. And really, this is all they usually need. If they are worn on the races, crapcan em...especially if you plan on putting power down with them...the reground races will not hold up!

Engraving axles is not a good idea, the stress risers associated with the surface imprefections can cause problems with higher horsepower applications.

A note here on the wear. When I was using this assembly, I found these CV jonts installed on my S30 were compressed more than in the normal OEM application. This then placed these bearings in a location closer to the base of the tulip, where little to no previous wear had taken place, and as a result tightened them up a tad (which is a good thing).

OK, my last post on this lame topic.....

The final result is that they can't supply a right side axle of the correct length. (An interesting side note is that when I asked what length they showed for a LEFT axle, they said it should be 21-3/8", which by an amazing coincidence is the exact measurement required for the RIGHT side!) Cardone, who is the rebuilder, refuses to acknowlege that their data is in error. So now they want to credit me back for the rebuild cost and just say good-bye, leaving me with NO axle! My last communication with Rock Auto was they I expect them to compensate me for the cost of a replacement for the core I sent them. I did find a source on EBAY and have ordered a new pair of used axles which I will 'refurbish' myself. I do have to say that the sales guy at Rock Auto has been really cool and hasn't blown me off, yet.

Note to self: Next time, DO YOURSELF A FAVOR AND SEARCH THE HYBRID Z BOARD FIRST!!!!!

Here is what I did. I got a set of M30 CV axles from a JY for my core. Had them rebuilt. They came back with new tight tripods on M30 axles. I then took the new tripods off the M30 axles and swapped them onto the 280zxt shafts. Now I have the correct length shafts with new tripods and the boots on the inners are replaceable for an added bonus! Also, the inner housings allow for the tripod to slide into it an extra 1/4" due to the stop button being recessed that much more. Joe