HybridZ

Pics of my Rustoleum Paint Job

NewZMan

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 months later...

Yeah, I put white Rustoleum on with a roller. Ton of work and I didn't have much time because I was taking the 77 280z down to California for the winter. Lots of orange peel and you can see the roller marks in lots of places. Tough though. I have some rock chips, but I drive on gravel oil lease roads a lot, one of the reasons I like Rustoleum, easy to re-do the paint.

This summer I plan to buy a paint gun and follow some of the advice in this thread...like thinning out 2-3 to 1 paint. I put it on thicker, big mistake. I also bought an orbital sander and will use that with 2000 or 3000 grit.

Painting with Rustoleum was a LOT of work, and I'm always pressed for time, but I'd do it again...and plan to this summer!!

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks:) Looking forward to doing my 240z with gloss white mixed with almond...gong for the pearl white Z32TT look, I hope.

Your paint job looks great by the way!

Alex

Maybe that was a misquote by me. What I used is a product called Jap Dryer. It is a paint additive that speeds the drying process up slightly and will make gloss paints dry harder. You can get it a Home Depot along with the paint.

I am just about ready to hit the road with my car and hopefully will be posting some finished pics after the first of the year.

Trumpet, thanks, but it looks better in the pics...passes the 10' test, that's it. I taped the chrome but next time I'll take it off. In fact, this summer I'll start painting it black...will take the chrome off and have it powder coated black.

Trying to decide if I should sand blast the white Rustoleum off or just paint over it. Leaning toward blasting it....then plan to buy a decent compressor and gun and spray. Govt is changing the rules here in Alberta, trying to put small paint shops and DIY guys out of business...but I should be ok spraying Rustoleum.