HybridZ

Need Help Finding A Worthy Oil Cooler Kit For My Stroker Turbo Z...

Guest 280ZForce

Guest 280ZForce

Ok, I've been reading around online and I've search on Hybrid and haven't really found what I'm looking for yet.

My Z is almost ready to hit the road (it's be a long and painful road of 6.5 months of her on jack stands so far), but I've got a few loose ends I've got to finish up and a lil fab work, but *crosses fingers* she'll be tearing up the streets again soon.

What I need is an oil cooler kit which will keep up with my 3.0L Stroker Turbo engine that I'm realistically going to be pursuing 500+ whp on this build.

So any thoughts, suggestions, concerns, etc would be greatly appreciated... Just looking for an oil cooler kit that has been proven to do what it's supposed to.

Also is the bar/plate or the stacked design better?

Thanks in advance - Justin

Used NASCAR oil coolers could equal metal fragments in cooler from previous user. Buying a new one may be a better investment for your new engine. My Setrab part # 50-920-7612 is approx. 13" x 6" . Its plumbed at the oil filter, mounted up front with an oilstat, and keeps oil tems where they should be.

If you're going oil to air heat exchanger:

NEW Setrab or Mocal heat exchanger (If you buy used, get it sonically cleaned and tested).

-10 lines and fittings.

Earl's thermostatic sandwich plate.

NAPA (wix) 1515R oil filter.

Mobil 1 10W-30.

If you're going oil to water heat exchanger:

Buy a C&R Radiator with a Niagra heat exchanger already built it.

http://www.crracing.com/radiators/radiators.shtml

Just for the record, I'm using the stock ZXT oil cooler on my intercooled turbo stroker and it works well enough that I was able to make a 1500 mile trip in the car, even with the stock 3N71B 3 speed auto (3500 rpm at 70 mph, 4000 at 80 mph :o )and never had any overheating problems. Although I'm sure there are other, more efficient coolers out there, the stock one seems to be sufficient.

Warren

Used NASCAR oil coolers could equal metal fragments in cooler from previous user. Buying a new one may be a better investment for your new engine. My Setrab part # 50-920-7612 is approx. 13" x 6" . Its plumbed at the oil filter, mounted up front with an oilstat, and keeps oil tems where they should be.

every time I buy something used, I check it and clean it, or have it cleaned.

but it's a good thing to make note of, so I'm glad you mentioned it anyway.

Heck, I most often clean brand new parts just to make sure nothing has been left over that should have been eliminated after manufacturing and Q/A testing.