HybridZ

Camber/Caster Plate

The camber/caster plates seem like a nice idea but as Jon mentioned you don't have much movement. On my GC plates there's only about 1/4 inch that I can get out of the caster adjustment. I don't think that will get you too much.

The problem I see with the above design is that it won't be very stiff the way it is built. All the compression is against a thin piece of metal and my guess is you'll lose a lot from this. I think the design could be improved upon but it would need more depth to make up the stiffness.

Cary

I don't know what it is, but on every S13 install of pillow ball mounts, no matter how tight or how perfect the suspension is dialed in, I see the camber plates scarred and shaved and the suspension at full neg or full pos camber all the time. The bolts don't grip as well as they should.

what do you guys do to remedy that problem? what are those nuts that have the serrated base?

Never ever seen the bolts move on an S30. I just tighten mine to about 10 ft/lbs. Mine have some marks from adjusting them so often, but no scars from slipping. Not sure why an S13 would be any different.

One thing I did notice early on is that it is MUCH harder to adjust the camber plates with the suspension off the ground. If they're fighting the suspension when they're making adjustments, that might explain why their plates are all scarred up.

One thing I did notice early on is that it is MUCH harder to adjust the camber plates with the suspension off the ground. If they're fighting the suspension when they're making adjustments, that might explain why their plates are all scarred up.

yeah that's probably it, as they try to do it as quickly as possible to get more laps in on track days. trying to do 4000 things at once, you start to miss some things.

good stuff.

Say I was going to a non adjustable lower control arm but weld in camber plates like Arizona Z Car or Techno Tuning. Would it be beneficial to move the weld in plate back on the top of the strut tower? How much would I want to move it back to gain caster? How much caster do S30's have stock? How much would I want to run on a Hoosier 275/35-15 tire?

Regards,

Justin

With a wider tire (wider then let's say 245) you generally reduce the amount of static negative camber based on your tire temp readings. IMHO, caster is a good thing because it allows a further reduction in static negative camber in front and helps load the inside rear wheel in corners. The tradeoffs are increased steering effort, worse scrub, and more tire/body interference.

On the ROD with 275 width tires I ran about 8 degrees of postive caster and 2.8 negative camber on the front. When I was running 225 width tires I ran 6 degrees postive caster and 3.5 degrees negative camber.

Again, all the above is IMHO. Other people have different opinions regarding caster and camber.

Say I was going to a non adjustable lower control arm but weld in camber plates like Arizona Z Car or Techno Tuning. Would it be beneficial to move the weld in plate back on the top of the strut tower? How much would I want to move it back to gain caster? How much caster do S30's have stock? How much would I want to run on a Hoosier 275/35-15 tire?

I would move the plate as far back as you can. To get lots of caster will require that you push the wheel forward and the larger the tire the quicker this gets into the fender. John's 8 degrees is going to take a lot of cutting to make work.

Anything you can cheat on the top is going to help with this. And if you plan to race where there's rules regarding wheel base or pickup point movement you should think about that before you start welding.

Cary

And if you plan to race where there's rules regarding wheel base or pickup point movement you should think about that before you start welding.

That's a very good point. I built the ROD to run in an unlimited class so the changes I made in wheelbase, track, ride height, and other things might be illegal in more restrictive race classes. Buy the rule book first!

8 degrees of caster sounds like a lot, but its not that unusual. My 1986 Mercedes 420SEL had 11 degrees of postive caster from the factory and my 2006 350Z has 9.