HybridZ

Trying to get overall weight own

philfree

I am thinking as much as 500kg's overall. I am interested to know if it can be done at all with out going overboard.

So, you want to take 1,100lbs out of a 2,700lb car without going overboard? As far as I know, no one on this planet has ever build a 1,600lb S30 2+2 and probably one two people have ever built a 1,600lb S30 coupe. Those two people went EXTREMELY overboard to get their cars that light.

Overboard meaning grinding 1/8 of an inch off of bolts, removing EVERYTHING not structural, and swiss-cheesing everything that is structural... You ready for that kind of commitment, and the possibilty of a crumpled pile of car if you do it wrong?

You are also going to have to replace a whole lot of parts that don't need replacing with parts that don't necessarily perform better.

Good luck with your goal. Keep us posted.

You should also sell your 2+2 260z and get a 240z without the back seats.

Also replace your v6 swap with a lighter motor too.

If you're trying to go that low in weight might as well do a motorcycle swap while you're at it, At least then you won't have to worry about torque bending your swiss cheeZ.

Hi

I would have to say that now i have had a bit more of a look around on other websites and stuff i think it would be way to much work for someone one a budget such as mine. I have been thinking about the idea of sell the 2+2 and getting a 240z or a 2 seater 260z but haven't found many that i can afford and i currently need the extra space of the 2+2.

Thanks for the replies appreciated

Hi

So remove the back seats, bumpers, spare tire. i will be pretty close to the 2 seater version. My only problem with that is that i don't have the big bumpers over here mine are a lot smaller.

Here is a link to some pics of the car (haven't updated it in a long long time)

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2612320

I have a 2+2 and you can get the weight down relatively easily. My280z 2+2 weighed in about 50 lbs lighter than my friends 280z with aprox the same amount of gas. But my interior is gutted. bumpers gone, A/C heater all of that is gone, lighter radiator, etc.

I eventually came to the conclusion it's cheaper to put a motor with more hp and tq in it lol.

At any rate, biggest thing that will help you is LIGHT wheels and tires. Keep your rotational mass down. AL flywheel, light clutch, titanium valve train components. AL brake upgrades, not steel. Fiberglass hatch, replace your glass with lexan. fiberglass hood or CF, don't waste your money on fiberglass fenders or headlight buckets, not gonna save you much. Oh yeah... scrap off all the sound deadening in the car, go through the wiring harness and remove all unescessary wires. You'd be surprised how much wires weigh.

Good Luck!

-Ed

The GRS30 in basic form is actually very close to, if not lighter than a US Coupe of the similar Vintage.

My 75 GS31 weighed in at 2695# with my 255# butt in it. Do the math, and there are some pretty suprised HLS30 owners out there!

That's with the full ZS interior in it, including spare tyre...

Like someone said, 'they aren't as heavy as you would think'

Of course, I don't have door beams in the door. Oh well, I'm more careful turning left across our US Traffic as a result (since it's RHD!).

Dont sell the 2+2!! Most people think that the 2+2 is SOOOO much heavier but there only like 200lbs heavier.

Remove the back seats, bumpers, spare tire, and loose a couple pounds and you can be close to the coupes weight.

If you remove the back seats, what's the point of keeping a 2+2?

Aside from loyalty of course.

Better aerodynamics. There's a reason Andy and Tony run the 2+2 at Bonneville.

I had asked that question in the aero forum but never got an answer. But I asked Tony D in the 2+2 thread and he said it was just a coincident they used a 2+2. Which is true, better or no aerodynamic differences from the coupe?

Hi

I would have to say that since I've been using my 2+2 as a daily driver which has been since march i have only ever used the back seats 3 times. The rest of the time i have the seats folded down and use the back of the seat as extra boot space. So if i took the back seats out i would plan to build some sort of support to replicate the back seats being folded down. So about aerodynamics are these possible improved because of the different angle of the hatch and roof?

Thanks replies apreciated