HybridZ

Where can I buy 240Z coilover kit (that are pre-sectioned)

I have a 73 240Z that's my daily driver and I want to get a coilover setup that has shorter overall height (so I can go lower and still have spring travel). I know you can take your strut tubes into a shop and have them sectioned but I can't do this because...

-it's my daily driver and most of the shops I've dealt with in the past tend to take much longer than they say.

-I'm too afraid I'll mess up on the length and then have to spend a bunch of time trying to hunt down stock strut tubes (which again I don't have the time for).

So what companes sell either pre-shortened strut tubes for 240Zs or complete coilover kits (that have shorter tubes then stock)?

I have a bunch of Japanese Z magazines (Hyper Rev) back home that shows tons of different Japanese brand complete coilover kits for Zs but I can't find a place that sells any of them in the states (I'm currently in Iraq so I can't exactly go home and check the magazine for brand names). I'm willing to spend some money (like under $1500 hopefully).

I disassemble, inspect (penetrant test the spindles and hubs), cut up, media blast, shorten, and paint a set of 240Z strut tubes for $550. That's a pair of struts ready to assemble with your shocks, coil over kit, bearings, etc.

I also sell complete strut kits as Mark mentioned above.

so that would essentially make the suspension bolt in?

I don't like the term "bolt-in" because whenever a vendor tells me that I know that I'll need a $10,000 mill and a $5,000 lathe to bolt the part in. So, I don't ever tell my customers the "bolt-in" marketing lie. Generally when you're installing the strut kits I sell you'll want to:

1. Slightly oval the two mounting holes in the top of the strut towers.

2. Take a wire brush on the end of a drill and clean out the underside of the strut tower.

3. Install new bushings in the rear LCAs.

4. Figure out a new way to hang the front brake line (the old mount on the strut tube gets cut off) or, better yet, install a new braided line.

5. Replace all the bushings in the suspension and steering.

6. Replace the ball joints and tie rod ends.

So, while "theoretically" you could just "bolt-in" the strut kits I sell, in reality you won't.

I have a 73 240Z that's my daily driver and I want to get a coilover setup that has shorter overall height (so I can go lower and still have spring travel). I know you can take your strut tubes into a shop and have them sectioned but I can't do this because...

-it's my daily driver and most of the shops I've dealt with in the past tend to take much longer than they say.

-I'm too afraid I'll mess up on the length and then have to spend a bunch of time trying to hunt down stock strut tubes (which again I don't have the time for).

So what companes sell either pre-shortened strut tubes for 240Zs or complete coilover kits (that have shorter tubes then stock)?

I have a bunch of Japanese Z magazines (Hyper Rev) back home that shows tons of different Japanese brand complete coilover kits for Zs but I can't find a place that sells any of them in the states (I'm currently in Iraq so I can't exactly go home and check the magazine for brand names). I'm willing to spend some money (like under $1500 hopefully).

If you are looking under 1500 try http://technotoytuning.com/ they have a killer set up, great for any daily/weekend warrior driver.

TTT kit is exactly the same as ross's and ground control, in manner of welding/cutting.

To the original poster: you can install the kit without sectioning the strut housings, if you're not planning on lowering your car more than 2". I'm running that setup with regular (non shortened) housings, and still maintain nice ride height and quality. Don't forget to trim your bump stops on hte struts, because they take about 1.25"-1.5" out of the travel :)

aae.sized.jpg

aaa.sized.jpg

aak.sized.jpg

and that's with undersized tires (225/50/15)

Thanks for all of the help!

One question though...I was looking at the Arizona Z car coilovers and was a bit confused. It seems you need a lot of cutting/modifications just to install the coilovers....which totally defeats the purpose of me buying pre-sectioned coilovers (my whole point to buying pre-made coilovers was to AVOID having to do the cutting/modifying of the strut body...and it looks like you need to do a bunch of that just to install the coilover).

I guess that I'm just spoiled with my previous cars (VWs, Porsches, Hondas, etc..) where you could just buy a complete aluminum bodied

bolt-in coilover setup for $1000-1500 that you could just install yourself with minimum hand tools in a few hours.

My sectioned s30 struts are for sale. They have z31 spindles with z31 rotors and z32 turbo calipers, azc chromoly control arms, coilovers, and New VW inserts, 500lb springs, engine member has to go with the arms as its drilled for the control arms (or you could drill yours) and the rack was also custom made for the z31 spindles.

DSC01980.JPG

1500.00 plus shipping for everything

This is as close to the term bolt in as you can get. It bolts into mine so should bolt into yours. Picture dosnt show them but the Z32 TT front calipers go with it. my chassis has teh weld in camber plates so you would need a set of the bolt in ones to run my struts.