HybridZ

Hybrid steering u-joint of 240z and Subaru

I found that u-joint of subaru and 240z can be assembled together.

1. Dismantle 240z u-joint by using hydraulic press. Be sure not to lose neelde roller in the bearing cups.

240ztosubaru1.jpg

2. Dismantle subaru u-joint as above. This was from 1st gen FWD Imprezza wagon (18 spline). To drive out the cups, some spacers may be located between spider and cup. I put some welding rods.

240ztosubaru2.jpg

3. I am not sure it is possible to disassemble without damage the oil seals.

240ztosubaru3.jpg

4. Pack grease 240z cups and press them in. punch around cups.

240ztosubaru4.jpg

By the way, I ended up using EPS system from Suzuki mini car because there is no room for P/S pump.

By the way, I ended up using EPS system from Suzuki mini car because there is no room for P/S pump.

I'm also interested in this. So this is the whole rack then? Motor on the rack itself? Any controller involved? Seems like there would have to be, otherwise you'd have severely light steering at speed.

More details and pics please!

Suzuki EPS is column shaft assisted so it is not necessary to change stock 240z rack. This is essentially a smaller version of the EPS in BMW Z4. Bad news is that you can not find exactly identical to one I got because Kei cars are JDM only.

suzukiEPS.jpg

To put it on 240z, column bracket should be cut as below.

s30columnbracket.jpg

Also the columun shaft is 12-14" short to mate stock steering system. I fabricate new bracket because I want to put Tilton pedals at the same time.

Tacho signal (ignition pulse) is needed to activate EPS and vehicle speed pulse is for deactivating at higher speed. The latter one might not needed bacause the assist torque is not so strong and my car will get higher caster angle (~10).

If you want to keep stock ignition key and combination SWs, column should be modified. Suzuki column diameter is usually larger than 240Z's. I'll just convert all to Suzuki, including the wiper system.

The problem with the EPS is that it has a computer controller. The nice thing about the Suzuki setup is that it has the controller on board. I wonder how many of these things have a completely separate computer. I wouldn't go to the trouble of trying to install one that didn't have an integrated computer.

i get the jist of whats going on here but i would have to see everything installed to get a better idea about how this all works

In regards to the EPS systems:

Whichever way you turn is assisted using a motor driven gear that turns the steering shaft for you, instead of using power steering pumps and hydraulic fluid.