HybridZ

Garage Solutions for those in Apartments?

tfreer85

Okay guys, I've recently moved to the LA area, my Z is still back home 2hrs north of me with all my parts. I have 4 day weekends and its driving me nuts not being able to work on my car. I live in an apartment complex which means no non-operating cars allowed in the garage. I've been looking at mini-storage places and almost every single one has a clause or waiver release saying you won't work on your vehicle in their storage facility. This poses quite the problem, does anyone have and ideas or solutions for this? I'm just wanting to get my Z within 30 minutes of me so I can get back to wrenching. Thanks for any ideas/help

Tyson

i know how you feel.

my complex doesn't let you have unregistered vehicals AND you're not supposed to work on them.

i broke both rules, haven't been caught since i'm not doing major work. unfortunatly, i've got ALL my tools in my car because i live upstairs, so lugging my tools back and forth is a pain. it really sucks having to work outside all day in AZ

(you're lucky, i don't even have a garage in my complex, i work in the parking lot)

the only thing i can think of is make friends with someone who has a place you can use.

Rent an apartment in an older building with an enclosed garage.

Never had any problems with the landlords when I rented in the South Bay. But then I never left a mess and always paid my rent on time. Oil absorber is your friend.

Another option is to rent an empty garage behind somebody's house. Did that in both San Diego and Bremerton Washington when in the Navy. Neither place had electricity. I used hand tools and a Coleman gas latern for light. At least these days you can buy some battery operated tools.

Security can be issue, so be prepared to take all your tools home with you.

Rent an apartment in an older building with an enclosed garage.

Never had any problems with the landlords when I rented in the South Bay. But then I never left a mess and always paid my rent on time. Oil absorber is your friend.

Another option is to rent an empty garage behind somebody's house. Did that in both San Diego and Bremerton Washington when in the Navy. Neither place had electricity. I used hand tools and a Coleman gas latern for light. At least these days you can buy some battery operated tools.

Security can be issue, so be prepared to take all your tools home with you.

We just moved in 1 year contract and its a nice place, would prefer not to move again its PITA :) . I have a LARGE amount of parts, i.e. doing a complete rebuild from bare chassis. So secured storage is much preferred. Sneakily working in my apartment building just is too impractical and they patrol it every night for security so that makes it hard to have a car sit there for any length of time.

I'm curious how did you find and/or rent the empty garage was it just listed on the newspaper? I'm not opposed to that if it was separated and I had the keys for security. Electricity isn't such a big deal, can get a Generator from my Dad in construction, so that can solve that problem for powering things. Any other ideas?

Thanks guys so far,

Tyson

Newspapers when I did it.

Noticed quite a few on Craigslist. Go to the storage/parking section and search on garage

I had the same problem when I moved recently, but all I had to do was check the local craigslist, I got a great space to work in for $50/month. 1.5 stall garage, power, new roof so it doesn't leak, and the landlord is a great guy. (in fact I have done some maintenance tasks for him and made a little beer money on the side. ):-D

Look for a Contractor Storage facility. Those units usually allow some work and have power and light. They usually rent for $1 to $1.20 per square foot.

Keep your unit clean, don't spill any fluids, and be prepared for break-ins.

Try calling some local realtors and ask if there are any local garages for rent. That's what l did last year when l came back to college. I used to have a storage space and then they said no more working on cars, so I found a real garage in town for only 20 more dollars a month and it's insulated and wired.

I kept this in mind and found an apartment with garages.

They say don't work on cars, all cars have to be running and registered. It also says no storage of household items in the garage. I asked them about the storage and they said they dont' care. "Its all just standard contract stuff...."

so in my case it sounds like they don't enforce this as long as you keep it clean and dont bother anyone else. My neighbor has a nice bench set up and an old Sprite in his garage so I'm in good company. However, keeping current tabs on an old car is easy. No emissions to bother with, you just pay for the stickers each year. I also have street parking by the complex but that's risky for a rare car. I don't want to resort to that for anything that's valuable.

I looked into Craigslist garages in Washington but they typically ran $150-200 a month for 1-car garages! way too expensive. I wish I could get a place for $50/month! In fact, the $75/month garage at my place is the cheapest I have ever found. It doesn't even make sense to go offsite.

Public starage is $250/month around here for 1-car garage. $90/month for one outdoor parking spot!

Wow I'm glad you said that, Bleach. My wife and I were thinking about moving to Seattle area. I had no idea that it was so expensive. Cost of living? more like cost of breathing!

Michigan economy is down right now, but at least things are cheap!

check out seattle.craigslist.com or publicstorage.com and look for yourself. :D

:( really sad.... but the good thing is, I'm on the waiting list for a 2-car garage at my complex. Can't wait till that happens. Not many apartments have that option.

Cost of living is up but so are the wages. Same with California. You see the expensive housing costs, but then you may not know that kids are making $20/hour down there at entry level jobs.

in my case... 1-bed apt, 1-car garage, + 1 covered parking spot = about $1000/month