zthis

Guys i'm seriously considering going to a ford 9 inch setup. I'm afraid that

even with CVs i'll only end up breaking stub axles (i'm running 10.9-11.0 with

low 1.5 60fts No transbrake). My question is for anyone running 10s or faster

with CVs What else are you breaking and how many passes are you making

in the run of a year??

thanks

Curtis

I spent 2 summers trying to get into the 10s but kept breaking rearend parts. Yes CVs lead to broken stubs. even z31 stubs arent good enough. An auto is alot less hard on the stock stuff but will still eventually tear stuff up. If you want to be safe and reliable convert to a solid rearend end.

Guys i'm seriously considering going to a ford 9 inch setup. I'm afraid that

even with CVs i'll only end up breaking stub axles (i'm running 10.9-11.0 with

low 1.5 60fts No transbrake). My question is for anyone running 10s or faster

with CVs What else are you breaking and how many passes are you making

in the run of a year??

thanks

Curtis

We made the switch to CV's about 20 months ago and have not broken anything. ( Now this will be the Kiss of Death) We are running the original stub axles 1976, with the 300 Turbo cv's. Our best 60' is a 1.32.Jerry

We made the switch to CV's about 20 months ago and have not broken anything. ( Now this will be the Kiss of Death) We are running the original stub axles 1976, with the 300 Turbo cv's. Our best 60' is a 1.32.Jerry

ZGAD is also running an IRS with an 8 second quarter mile.

Although I am very much impressed with their Z's performances, how secure do they feel as they launch their beasts? The above quote contains a clue! A solid axle gives you one less thing to worry about if you are drag racing. The IRS is more important for road racing.

If you are seriously debating it, I say go to the 9".

It is safer and you won't have to worry about breaking rear end parts.

I haven't had an axle, diff, or stub axle break to date, but I know it is a matter of time before something lets go....

I know that you can make 9 and 10 second passes but I wonder HOW MANY passes will 30 year old R200 and stubs make before they go bang. This year i made about 50 11 second passes and destroyed 2 R200 and 3 side axles Its a toss up between $1000 for CVs and hope for the best and $6000 for a killer 9 inch 4 link setup and never having to worry again.......$$$$

Guest Crispy Chicken

I don't know but it seems like Mike Zgad had been making 8-9 second passes for the passed two years or so with a old r-200. I'm not sure if he runs every week but from what I've seen I'd stick with an old r-200 set up for 9 second runs. See what happens.. It builds character too!! haha

I know that you can make 9 and 10 second passes but I wonder HOW MANY passes will 30 year old R200 and stubs make before they go bang. This year i made about 50 11 second passes and destroyed 2 R200 and 3 side axles Its a toss up between $1000 for CVs and hope for the best and $6000 for a killer 9 inch 4 link setup and never having to worry again.......$$$$

Killer 9 inch for $6000??? :eek2:

I bought a narrowed 9 inch with axles for $450, added a lightened NASCAR detroit locker off ebay for $300, some 4.56 gears off ebay for $100 and I'm in business.

I paid $2300 for my Moser 9 inch complete with willwood street disc brakes, delivered!!!

I would have to agree the $6K is a tad high, my quotes for the Corona Conversion (66 Toyota Corona with a VG 30 ET conversion...don't even ask!) were in the $2500 complete range.

Riverside Muffler runs a 9" on their 240Z, and they have been running solid 9.40's at LACR for probably the last 10 years.

For a dedicated drag car, you don't need the complexity of the IRS. If the car was really really really light you may get away with it, but even in Japan in the late 80's they had converted to 9" Rears to get reliability on the Drag ZX's. Though many cars ran the IRS well into the 10's...that being said, they also had an almost unlimited supply of spares as well. Piles of broken Axle Components were a common sight at Fuji Raceway at days' end.

Now come on guys you can't back half a car that cheap. I'm not that

interested in going the used parts routeebay. The cheapest Moser

9 inch with a spool and Park brakes is closer to $3000. The rear end isn't much good with wheels and tires $800-$1000 4 link kit rod ends adjustable coil overs wheel tubs drive shaft etc etc etc really can't see me doing it

for less than 5