HybridZ

R200 swap difficulties in a 240z

lowdown

I've swapped out r200 rears in the past and its been pretty much just a standard bolt in with with a 280 mustache bar. But this time its not easy. It seems that the front mount is off by about 1"... I heard rumors there were 2 different style R200s...

102_3856.JPG

Lowdown

I had the same problem on my first R200 install. I had the front mount flipped around.

Are you using the stock 240Z half shafts? I am asking because I did this same swap 6 years ago in my son's 240Z v8 and had no problems, but recently became aware that the 240Z driver's side half shaft is too long to work well with the R200 and may bind the suspension.

I also bought a R200 and a matching set of 78 280Z half shafts with the understanding that the left shaft is shorter to allow for the side bulge in the R200. Not so. I measured both left and right shafts fully collapsed and they are of equal length.

Thanks

Miles

If I flip the mount around, it would be even further forward than it is now, thus being about 3-4" to far forward. If I use the mount thats further back it would not reach far enough forward...

I heard that binding might be a issue, are they factory one longer than the other? I do have another set of stock 1/2 shafts sitting in my shop.. I was unaware there are different lengths.

• 4 weeks later...