HybridZ

SC280z "Camden project" update!

azcarbum

Well, I've made a little more headway on the project and thought I'd post some pictures.

The mounting plate for the intake elbow/TBI is finished. It looks like everything will work perfectly. In one fell-swoop I have the idle-up system, linkage, TB, and TPS all in one. The 7th injector sits just perfect with the nose of the injector just inside and flush with the ID.

Here you'll see the newest add on, individual braided fuel lines to each injector. They come out of a distribution block. The seventh injector will be fed by this as well ( line not shown.). I just need to made a bracket to hold the block in just about the position you see here.

It's really exciting to see it come together piece by piece. Especially since I've been hashing out all the specifics and collecting the components for about 2yrs.

100_0337.jpg

100_0343.jpg

100_0341.jpg

100_0345.jpg

Very nice work. Is all of that going to fit under the hood?

Maybe I missed it from an earlier post, but why the 7th injector? I assume you are using a programmable EFI system, right? Does the supercharger need to run wet, maybe? I can't imagine that your horsepower goals would be so high that you couldn't find 6 properly sized injectors that could still idle well...

Your correct on all account... The Camden is a Wet SC, the seventh injector is purely for Lubrication and tempreture control.

I will be running a Wolf EMS system.

It should fit under the hood, since the components on it now are not any higher than the Projection TBI system that was originally used. Of course I wont know until I have it in.

Hmm intresting,

I'm not planning on hijacking this thread but.

Im building a supercharged turbo combo on my l28, basically you say using an injector in front of the SC wil help cool the charger? I can see why.

However in my application it wil be routed trough a IC before hitting the plenum and ITB's would this still help? or bring other problems?

basically it is more of tech question on the 7th injector

good looking set up btw !!

brian, slow and steady wins the race! looking good, it seems-looking at your pics that it should fit under the hood-your tb may be even shorter than the holley that came with the unit. you've also solved the air intake runner issue i faced when this was on my z. here's a pic when it was in my car, a few years ago...

tuffz_engine_bay_pic_8_05.JPG

Hmm intresting,

I'm not planning on hijacking this thread but.

Im building a supercharged turbo combo on my l28, basically you say using an injector in front of the SC wil help cool the charger? I can see why.

However in my application it wil be routed trough a IC before hitting the plenum and ITB's would this still help? or bring other problems?

basically it is more of tech question on the 7th injector

good looking set up btw !!

Frank, from some things I've read in the research I've done, it is not a good idea to use any liquid to cool a supercharger if you are running the compressed air through an intercooler. The liquid may vaporize in the heat of the SC, but it will probably 'liquidize' in the intercooler when the air cools off. Then you'll have puddles/pockets/whatever of liquid in the intercooler, which isn't good, especially if it's fuel.

So cooling/lubing of the SC should only be done if it is going directly into the intake manifold. Any other more educated responses on this?

A thought: I was planning on using water/alcohol/methanol/fuel to cool the air from my SC (JCR kit) right before or after the SC. Is it OK to use anything besides fuel to lube/cool the SC spraying before or into the SC? Or will water damage the SC any more than fuel?

First, the SC Frank is using does not require any lube, it is a 'dry' unit, so adding liquid is not required.

Second, injecting liquid will only be an issue if you drop the temperature below the condensing point of the liquid used as a coolant. With water, usually keeping the discharge of the I/C above 120 will insure no water will drop out of vapor phase, and pass through simply as harmless (oxygen displacing) vapor. Many commercial compressors that are air cooled utilize this fact and gear the second stage of compression to spin slightly faster to accomodate for the decreased density of the hotter interstage air.

In Frank's Case, intercooling the first stage shouldn't be too much of a problem as it should only be 7psi, and the heat generated will only be so much. It will be far more important to intercool after the SC and drop the final temperature into the engine.

Using anything to cool the intake charge has to be kept in mind when routing the BOV as well... Don't want fuel dumping to atmosphere.

I'd skip it on that application. If you want supplementary charge cooling, install your misting nozzle upstream of the T/B, and use high-pressure injection to do a final cooling before ingestion into the engine. Makes things easier, and most Methanol High Pressure Injecction systems are well under $1000 even with very sophisticated controllers.

As for 'cooling' a SC, unless it's a "Wet" charger, it's inadvisable to inject ANYTHING into it. Tip errosion and bearing washout is possible if you start injecting water/fuel/alcohol into a blower without the proper seal package to accomodate those things in the airflow.

Also, if you are using simply water as supplementary coolant, it is a simple matter to install a 'bleeder orifice' on the bottom of the piping or in the cold end of the I/C that will blow out condensate, and when put under vacuum, a rubber flapper will seal up the hole nicely. Even a .020" hole drilled in the piping will allow an amazing amount of condensate to freely be discharged without much of a boost leak issue.