HybridZ

Made it to the dyno

1 fast z

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't know what it reallly is but the compressor wheel is pretty small and smaller than a T3 60 trim.

There's a bunch of specs here.

http://www.hksusa.com/categories/more.asp?id=1092

We may, for the first time see the limits of the L28ET block! Good luck! I can't wait to see the limits.

THAT was going to be my response...

I was going to phrase it thus:

1 fast Z, please don't take this the wrong way, but if/when this motor gets grenaded, I think it is going to be in some FANTASTIC way that L-series engines do NOT typically do. I personally simply take it as a given that your head is solid as a rock; if it isn't then it will show up in its way, whatever, I dont anticipate that but it must be admitted as a possibility.

Personally, I am wondering if youre going to wind up splitting the block to kingdom come... and I hate to think about your engine in such morbid terms, but my POINT is that once you REALLY get playing with this, the L-block is gonna see AMAZING things it isnt used to (I am hoping for 800 whp in my DEEPEST dreams) and when it finally gives way, it should be worth pictures, because it probably won't ever be seen again.

NOW, regarding toyota supra turbo setups...

THERE IS A TT late 80's SUPRA INTACT IN MY LOCAL JY AS OF THE OTHER DAY.

I will check this thread, and even PM you my telephone number, if you want me to get out there ASAP and try to get it for you. If you want it that bad, i can try to see if its still there and lock it in a trunk or something, and come back after youve wired me some cash (im broke right now) but, in any case, if this is something you are interested in (or anyone else, I guess.. I need to get to the boneyard soon anyhow) let me know.

Do they look like this?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/93-5-98-Toyota-Supra-Twin-Turbo-2JZ-GTE-Turbos-TT_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33742QQihZ017QQitemZ270188748441QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

As said the MK4 (twin turbo from the factor, they did have singles also) didnt come out till 93, anything before that which is turbo has to be a m3, with a 7m and not a 2jzgte.

From what I can see, it LOOKS like the turbos are part of the ex manifold, and would be hard to adapt, correct me if im wrong?

Before I went to a pair of CT20`s from a tt Supra, I would seriously look at using a pair of CT26`s . They can make a little over 300 hp in stock form, I made 275 rwh on a single CT26 @ 12 psi with an L28 stroker. A friend of mine can get stock CT26`s from a local JAP-engine exchange at a decent price.If planning on sticking with the stock T3`s they could be upgraded to make the horsepower level you desire.

http://www.gpopshop.com/upgrades.html

Yes, thats what im talking about PROOF. Never seen it before. Good work tim. My goal is 750 RWHP, on pump gas. Nearly 500 now, with 17lbs, and when I upgrade cams, and possibly a little more head porting, 35lbs of boost should get me there.

Warning...

For all the inflated talk, it's well known that the stock rods will not last long once you exceed 100HP/Hole.

The 'failure' will not be block induced, if it's stock-rodded, it will be a compressive failure down the rod.

After that, bearing loadings will start becoming a factor.

Unless you get stupid boring the L-Gata, the block will not be the failure point. There is a flexing issue, and for that the JDM cars have introduced a girdle to stiffen the block/lower end, but cross that road when you get to it. Electromotive didn't use it, and they were making more than that.

Documentation? You ask too much. This was 20+ years ago, and most of those guys did it, and moved on. You are simply retreading the same path long enough down the road where anybody who was doing it firsthand has moved along a long time ago. Add to that the dynos used then were written down on hand written sheets, not computer printouts. If anybody kept them after the racing season was over you'ld be considered lucky. New year brought a new engine (84) and EVERYTHING would start anew! All that 'old crap' would be tossed as nobody would be running it!

And the guys who did it then really have no incentive to inflate numbers. In the day, they had an incentive to deflate numbers due to competitive secrets, but now, they will tell you the straight scoop.

If you can find them!

Caldwell is in San Diego...

I went with 280 rods to keep them shorter, which in turn keeps them stronger. Tim is over 600 to the ground, and I am over 600 at the crank, and have no problems what so ever with rods. I will build some custom rods out of forgings if need be.

I went with 280 rods to keep them shorter, which in turn keeps them stronger. Tim is over 600 to the ground, and I am over 600 at the crank, and have no problems what so ever with rods. I will build some custom rods out of forgings if need be.

so why not do just go ahead and do it. If a rod breaks, it may lead to head damage.

if you can avoid it, then why not do it?

you spliced 3 heads together, I can't imagine changing a flange or going with different rods being a big deal for you.

even if it takes some time to do it, i'd wait it out for safety's sake because you have a prize of an engine there.

I've seen video of some of those Dubai Patrols. They were newer ones. Not L powered but fast as fck.

Those MK4 ct's are barely good for 500 rwhp.

the new ones have TB42's and 48's

that's my next inline six :)

There are some 5.2 litre stroker kits for that badboy. good for well over 1200hp

Just for reference, I'm running custom 5.3" forged Cunningham rods, not the stockers, so I'm not a good reference for what the rods can handle...

Well, I will test them for sure, as said I am over 600 crank hp now, and 650 rwhp, is not that far off. I am going to try it with these turbos also, just to see what they will do. First I have to swap in the Z32 trans, as I have went through another T5, set of syncros. Tim may I ask how much money you have in your engine?