HybridZ

Who sells vented front rotors for a stock setup?!

I found one company that did not offer pricing.. i think powerslot.

Anyway.. im looking for a good vented rotor setup I can use for a stock setup.. I have some 4x4 calipers.. although I'm not running the vented setup.

After a few track sessions.. I would like to see the difference in a vented rotor versus a solid rotor.

Did you hit your head or something? :D

Search. Look at the brake FAQ, Auxilary's sticky post, etc.

I don't think there is a rotor that bolts on. You'll need the spacer and the vented 300ZX rotor.

I'm sure you'll find that it makes a big difference. Make sure you use a good quality bolt between the hub and the spacer and rotor. That's a long bolt to be loading in shear.

ryan..jon thought you meant VENTED, i.e. veins inbetween two sides of the rotor...i.e. thicker rotor...

you're talking about cross-drilled rotors, or slotted...

the powersolts are like $45 a piece *i think* (we sell them at work, and i've looked into it)

i dont know of any other companies that make them, other than the ones MSA sells, plus the ones on ebay...but i would be worried about the metallurgy of them, being from china and all :wink: (plus they are cadmium plated!)

I ran cross drilled stock rotors from Power Stop for years. I liked them a lot, because I was able to boil the brake fluid over and over and the rotors never warped. That's probably not the effect you are looking for, but at least they're durable. They were Brembo rotors that were cross drilled, for what that is worth.

If you want cooler, you'll really need to step up to something vented. Especially at altitude I think it's worth it. The air just isn't dense enough to cool the brakes between uses on a road course.

LoL.. noo no.

Lets just pretend.. I am using an entirely pure stock setup with the stock 280z calipers..

Ive seen a few Z's with vented or cross drilled rotors.. and stock brakes.

Im trying to source down where the rotors came from!

I have not seen any proof that slotted or crossdrilled rotors do any good. They're definately not worth the money.

You'd be better off buying a Z31 rotor, Modern Motorsports spacer, and vented S12+8 calipers.

After reading up a bunch on brake swaps for my 240z (the brake sticky and the FAQ by jmortensen), I'm confused. The jmortensen says stock brakes are good enough, yet everyone upgrades.

This is just slotted.

I don't think you'll notice any difference. You would be better off with a race orientated pad or going with the Z31 stuff Jon mentioned.

So would slotted and drilled make a difference with the stock calipers or is a better set up either the Toyota swap, toyota vented or the Z31 set up? I need to buy a new master cylinder anyway, so I'm thinking to get the 15/16 master cylinder for a brake upgrade. I know i'm going rear discs for sure.

What would be the best bang for the buck then for a weekend driver, of course in your opinion? slotted and drilled for stock or TOyota 4x4 solid or toyota vented or Z31 set up or full aftermarket (e.g. wilwood)?

It depends on what you are doing with the car. IMO, if it is a 400rwhp track car I wouldn't even think about stock brakes or Z31 brakes. If it is has a mild engine and see's only street and auto X, I would run stock brakes with a decent pad. If it is in between or has boost, I would atleast run the Z31 vented/ toy caliper. I wouldn't even mess with a solid rotor and Toy caliper. The problem is the solid rotor.

I think the better way to say it is the stock brakes don't suck if you use good pads and keep them in tip top shape.

If you drive the car hard enough, and especially if you are a typical amateur driver, then the stock brakes can overheat and stop working.

Bigger brakes handle heat better and give you more margin.

In my opinion, the biggest bang for the buck are vented Toyo front brakes and stock rear drums. Most guys on this site have run those at one time or the other. Big draw back to the toyos is weight.

In my opinion, the biggest bang for the buck are vented Toyo front brakes and stock rear drums. Most guys on this site have run those at one time or the other. Big draw back to the toyos is weight.

CP vintage cars have similar brakes. Some run early ZX rear disk, but the acceptable front mod is the 4x4 setup. The cars are pretty damn fast too. Surprisingly when I weighed the non-vented 4x4 caliper it was only 2 lbs heavier than the stock caliper. The vented caliper might be a bit heavier, but it's not as bad a weight disadvantage as you would think just looking at the two next to each other.

About 16-18 years ago a buddy of mine sold me a bunch of his Zcar parts because he'd bought a first gen 300zx2+2. He'd upgraded the brake pads, lines and fluid and then let me drive that pig. I was AMAZED at how well that car, and it was heavy, broke in repeated 60-0 and 80-0 stops. I actually tried to boil the brakes without success.

The Z stock brakes with proper fluid, braded lines, and good pads/shoes works good for a daily driver. I wouldn't plan on any track days in it if you've upped the HP, but in stock trim, they're good for a daily driver.

However, It's my opinion that the best "first mods" you can do to a stock Zcar are to upgrade the brake system and the suspension system. The S30 chassis responds very well to those upgrades. You don't have to go "12 inch" or bigger on the setup, either.

Mike

CP vintage cars have similar brakes. Some run early ZX rear disk, but the acceptable front mod is the 4x4 setup. The cars are pretty damn fast too. Surprisingly when I weighed the non-vented 4x4 caliper it was only 2 lbs heavier than the stock caliper. The vented caliper might be a bit heavier, but it's not as bad a weight disadvantage as you would think just looking at the two next to each other.

Yup, that's the only thing I never liked about the toyota swap. My steering felt heavier after that upgrade...

Mike