HybridZ

need help, not sure. Shave the marker lights?

sick240

well i have a 1973 240z and i'm fixing to get her painted, but i'm not sure if i want to shave/remove the marker lights on the front and rear quater. this is a street/race car. i'm going to paint her the same blue they are now painting the new 350z (daytona blue) i think is want they call

it. would like pic if anybody has any. also i'm putting fiberglass bumpers on it and thing about flat black for the grill or maybe chrome, not sure. what do yall think?

:flamedevi I am getting ready to remove and replace the side marking lights on my latest project. But I am going to use a old trick I learned about in the Auto Body repair course at Aims Community College in Greely, CO. Got the idea from a Street Rodder instructor. First you need to buy the smallest marker light they sell for street rodders. You can get them off the internet. I got to go home to get the info, at school right now. Then you weld a plate over the old openings, after that you have to drill the hole for the light in the plate. It should tell you what size hole or bit size you will need in the instructions. After that you will put the light into the hole and it tighten down. The top of the light will extend out of the body a very short distance. You then cover the light with either fiberglass or bondo. After it hardens you then sand it down until you reach the light top. Make sure you do not grind that far into the lense. Sand evrything down smooth and tape over the light. You then paint the area around the light with color paint to match the paint on the car. Then you remove the tape and use clear coat to cover everything to include the light. It will make you car stand out in a crowd. It also comes in different colors. Will try to post some pictures as they get done. Good Luck, Rich.:burnout:

Check for posts by Clifton. He has shaved marker lights and his car is in his signature.

I've been contemplating shaving my side markers too, but I am still on the fence.

i checked his car out, very clean car. but i'm not sure if it helped or made it that much harder on me. lol

Here is a picture of the front of mine just after I finished the fender.

P1010014.jpg

This is a picture of the back where I "frenched" in the back marker light. This picture was taken prior to finishing and painting.

S1010026-1.jpg

I would not suggest that you try "frenching" the marker light unless you really enjoy frustration, it is a PIA. From the looks of the video's that I saw of your car I personaly think you would be better off to remove the lights and weld up the holes.

Dragonfly

If I were going to paint my car I would shave everything. You can always attach anything back on with 3M tape if you change your mind later. You would have to drill holes for the marker wires but thats all. I wish the PO of my car had done that when he had it painted.