HybridZ

6 pot wilwoods up front

Just spent a couple of hours with my eldest son installing the front brakes I picked up from AZC. What a great install!! Here are a few pics..before and after... the rears will be installed next weekend!

Wilwoodbrakesfront022.jpg

Wilwoodbrakesfront019.jpg

Wilwoodbrakesfront017.jpg

Wilwoodbrakesfront014.jpg

Wilwoodbrakesfront013.jpg

Wilwoodbrakesfront012.jpg

Wilwoodbrakesfront011.jpg

Wilwoodbrakesfront010.jpg

Wilwoodbrakesfront009.jpg

Wilwoodbrakesfront008.jpg

Wilwoodbrakesfront006.jpg

Wilwoodbrakesfront004.jpg

Wilwoodbrakesfront003.jpg

Wilwoodbrakesfront001.jpg

Its great...my son is showing interest in the car as he is 15 and starting to think about driving. After the rear brakes we will build a a KA24e turbo engine. He has to!........ in order to to drive the SX track car next summer. I figure if he has a sense for the work that goes into building a motor he will appreciate it that much more.

He cant wait! And nether can I!

To be quite honest...unless you're going to be tracking the Z the 6 piston calipers are overkill, yes nice, but the standard AZ Wilwood brake kit will put you through the windshield if you don't have your harness on, yes harness :)

Nice set up all the same!!! Did you go with their full suspension kit? Good to see your and your son spending quality time together.

I am using the 15/16" master....but am considering a non vacuum assist dual setup from Beta.

And yes I know they are over kill. ......but what the heck! It just had to be done....bling and all. :D Oh ya......I got the intermediate pads.

My biggest issue is the parking brake...Im trying to figure out a way of hooking up a line lock to the stock parking brake....any ideas? :icon5:Dont want it inside the car!

I havent gone full AZC suspension. I may go the rear control arms...and am considering the billet Al moustache bar and all. Again....alll bling.... but.....what the heck....its the never ending project car....whatever!

And YES...Im real worked up about me son being involved. He is a great kid and has voiced the idea that he wants his racing licence before he gets to drive on the street. He feels it will make him a better driver...I cant disagree. Im gonna sign him up this year so he can get his Solo licence.

Nice brakes! That's a killer package. I have the 4 piston setup front and rear. Are those 13" rotors up front or 12.2? What rim size are you running? I love those wheels too!

Parking brake? and Hydraulic conversion? I would not go there unless your son plans to be drifting lol. Nothing wrong with the bling, bling in my opinion! Good to see the both of you spending quality time together. Life is short.

Haha! I got the rears to go with the 12.2 front and the proportioning valve was also purchased. I wish I had gone the 13" disks as the 17" wheels dont look full...but all is ok.

I was afraid of bleed down but have little experience with this end of things. It doesnt seem that there are many OEM hydraulic parking brake setups....must be a good reason? What is an MM bracket?

And no way is he drifting the Z! He will have to get by with the SX!

Well chocks are cheap!...dont look so cool!

Here a thread in MM brackets.

http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=104735

Thanks for the info! Sweet you got Daves rears! That's a cool ride nice color. Yea I dont have much exp with hyd parking brakes but why install one if it doesnt work. Maybe enough to hold the car while you jump out and wheel chock it. Kind of pointless. Yea chocks suck but having those brakes with sticky tires will make you forget about that.

If your looking at rear arms, check these out. I have a set and though they may weigh more than the azc part the... Quality is Great!

http://www.modern-motorsports.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=68&PHPSESSID=06a89421acb2bc5118ac63b35c229220

I was thinking this may work as a parking brake.... http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=016&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&viewitem=&item=260186916135&rd=1

http://www.hess4less.com/mainframe.php

I plan on calling them to find out if pressure bleed is a problem. I now also understand from Dave at AZC that he is working on a hydraulic version that will hook up to the stock PB handle. In fact he recommends the line lock as an option.

Nobody recommends the solenoid type for obvious reasons....battery drain and eventual roll. But I asked never the less.

I gotta figure something out...

MM....I get it! daaa! yup saw that thread before. Thanx.

I would like the hydraulic handbrake option, but not as a parking brake - just so I can still use my handbrake on hills. Wilwood specifically says not to use a linelock system as a parking brake, because the constant pressure over long periods of time will deform the seal.

I hear the part about the constant pressure....I wouldnt be using it much. I never did use the PB much, tend to leave it in 1st whenever possible. But there are times when I want reassurance that the car will still be there when I return!

I also purchasedc the AZC rear brakes ,but I did ponder the idea of the parking brake. I will also go with AZC up front and planned on questioning Dave on the actual usefulness of the line lock as a parking brake.

And I don't think brakes can be overkill, or if I was going overkill ,that is one area I would do it. I just didn't like the kit options out there except for MM ,and the price difference was not that much considering your getting a (imho) a much better brake system.

Good luck with the car and keep the thread going.

There is somebody around here (I think one of the Aussies) that made a bracket for that wilwood parking brake with wilwood calipers. I have an e-brake like that on another car from a wilwood rear brake kit. The bracket is a real simple piece of flat 3/8 aluminum with the appropriate holes drilled out. I think figuring the e-brake cable should be pretty straight forward.

I'm hoping enough people grumble about Dave's rear kit not having a parking brake he'll make it available. It's would be a modified version of what he already has. His website recommended a brick, but I wasn't crazy about the idea.