HybridZ

CHEAP HID'S!!! its really true!!!

FJ 280z

one of my coworkers is into duning and sandrails, and he came across this looking for lights for his rhino. anyways, its a cheap HID light, sold at checkers (checkers, shucks,kragen) auto parts stores, 120 bucks each light (we only need two) the lens its self is 7" supposedly, and the entire outer diameter is 8 1/2" or 8 3/4". i havn't picked one up yet, but im looking to get my hands on one soon. i wonder if we can modify these lights to work in our Z headlight location. almost everyone in AZ on the sandrail sight is getting these lights cause thier nice and cheap. heres the link, you can look at some pics and some people who bought the lights reaction. supposedly too, you can get a 25% off discount with checkers if you fill some online survey, and if you request they pull the part, you get 10% off too, so $200 bucks for a pair of HID's, that might work on a Z with some modification, thats awesome if we can use this. heres the link (and yes, i know they are offroad lights, but they are a euro beam, so its not so much of a spot light, but a flood light)

http://www.glamisdunes.com/invision/index.php?showtopic=122502

and some pics....(i love how the back is covering the ballast,igniter, etc)

post-1089-1196217997_thumb.jpg

post-1089-1196218575_thumb.jpg

i wasn't hoping to just bolt it right up, i mean, for the price of a pair, you have 2 bulbs, 2 ballasts with igniters, and 2 housings. these are a euro lenses so its a flood projection, not a spot light or beam. also, you can modify the cover so its has a beam cutoff, or just buy some cheap ebay headlights, and modify these to work with the projector lenses...or whatever your suggesting. i didn't say it would bot right up or work right, but with the ingenuity of hybridz website, who knows what we can do with them. beats 1000 bucks or 500 bucks

Your basically just using Xenon bulbs in a regular halogen housing, kinda defeats the purpose of having HID's. Now you've just got a bright blue light that blinds everyone coming at you.

I built a set of Bi-Xenon's projects lights for my car for about a $150ish. I bought FX35 projectors and made a housing for them with fiberglass.(Do a search in the body/paint forum or go to my members page for pics/info). Granted I got my ballist, ignitors and bulbs for free....

Guy

Your basically just using Xenon bulbs in a regular halogen housing, kinda defeats the purpose of having HID's. Now you've just got a bright blue light that blinds everyone coming at you.

I built a set of Bi-Xenon's projects lights for my car for about a $150ish. I bought FX35 projectors and made a housing for them with fiberglass.(Do a search in the body/paint forum or go to my members page for pics/info). Granted I got my ballist, ignitors and bulbs for free....

Guy

yeah I was rollin' down the street looking at some cars with hids, and there are a lot of viable options if you pay attention to stock cars with removable circular inserts for the headlights!!

FX35 was actually one of the ones I saw! Add a HID Kit to it, some fab work and materials... like i said... from 300 - 350... done! and DIY!

does it get better?!

careless so the 67-81 chevy camaro would fit right into a 280z? and that would focuss the light beam to, right?

Those are universal lights. Looky... ones for a 280Z!!!!!: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Nissan-Datsun-240Z-260Z-280Z-Projector-Headlight-Kit_W0QQitemZ180180443173QQihZ008QQcategoryZ33710QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItem

I really REALLY suggest you do some research on how HIDs work. You can't always just slap in some bulbs and expect it to work right. While fabbing my projectors I found that the focus point is very important and the traditional bulbs aren't set the same distance from the focus point as the HID bulbs.

Long story short, throwing HID bulbs into normal bulb slots may make the light worse.

careless so the 67-81 chevy camaro would fit right into a 280z? and that would focuss the light beam to, right?

any 7" bulb should fit with minor adjustments.

The one I posted was better than the first one discussed... but it still might not be adequate, and a proper setup is ideal if you value your night vision or your car/safety.

Those are the ones I bought. THEY ARE CRAP... not even close to a real projector and they are very very poorly made. I ended up smashing the glass out and cutting the back off and just using the 7" ring to make my own housings.

Don't buy those housings and expect to have anywhere even close to a real projector set up.

Guy