HybridZ

s30 drift car

I have decided after alot of thinking to finaly make my 73 240 into a drift car. i know that alot of people have problems with this due to the chance of wrecking but i didnt get this car to baby it. so yea. my build idea was this:

tokico struts

AZC springs

3.2L stroker(still undecided)

solid rear diff mount

clsd(nismo?)

msa swaybars

225 70 14 in the front

195 70 14 in the rear(maybe 17s)

braced front chassis

anything that i missed/should change?

I dont see much of a difference of the suspension setup compared to a normal car. Isnt there alot more to drift cars?

mainly screwed up body panels and primer.

I think you should not worry about putting 17's on it. more inertia. that's as far as my argument is going to go. use small rims, easier to accelerate in both directions that way.

Why are you running smaller tires in the back? Most of the drift cars that I've seen run wider in the back, then agian they have gobs of power to turn'em.

mopar69: It depends on driver preference. If seen spec sheets on peoples setups. It ranged from expensive coilovers with all the bells and whistles, to basic springs and shocks.

Also must drifters around here run a welded diff not a lsd. You will want to run atleast equal front and rear tires for control. Drifting is more about slipping balance than gripping balance. So when you are slipping and going sideways you want your rear tires to be able to grip just as much as your front tires so usually rear tires are larger because of this. But you need power to do this. Atleast that is what i've learned from some 240sx'ers.

You'll also need a stiff body. Strut tower bars may not be enough - if you're after simple and effective solutions, you might want to research the expanding polyurethane foam, which considerably stiffens the chassis (but also creates a perfect place for keeping humidity in car = rust). Additional spot welding, a rollbar (or even better - a full rollcage) and strut tower bars should do the trick. Trust me, a stiff body makes wonders with handling... I once drove a fairly stock S14, and after a while I drove another S14, but that one was stripped, gutted, had additional welds, strut tower bars, and a welded diff. And boy, did it drift well...

By the way: wouldn't it be simplier, cheaper and easier for you to get a complete, running L28ET, swap it in and beat it to death? I'd be less worried about a junkyard stock L28ET than a nicely built 3,2 stroker motor...

well first off go and find a copy of best motoring's "Drift Bible" by tsushiya. watch that about a hundred times or so...

you don't need big power to drift by any means. it can actually hinder you in some ways. Learn with what you've got first.

I would stiffen up the suspension a bit, get a LSD or weld the diff. 1 wheel drive doesn't do well with drifting :P

Save the big motor upgrades for later. learn to drift your car first. then the power will help you once you want to get into more complicated drifting styles.

At some point you're gonna want to figure out how to get more travel out of your front wheels. Stock, they don't have enough travel left to right to be able to get good drift angles set up, especially for an under-powered car. There was a couple threads on here about how to go about doing this. A search of 240z drifting should pull it up.

I am not an expert, or anything close. but im around the drifting scene quite a bit here, and pick up some tips every now and then.

good luck!

so 225 14 all around?

might go coilovers if i can get the money

ive practiced clutch kicking alot lately but my clutch is starting to slip so im taking it ez for now. the stifining i was talking about was welding a couple crossmembers in teh front/back

will check out drift bible

good plan.

be careful of the clutch kick....its a fastrack to destruction if not done right :P

i'd probably start with an e-brake drift, follow it up by powering over...learn to control angles and slides and then you can play with different ways of initiating the drifts. just a thought. Definately watch the drift bible. he explains it waaay better. and fun to watch.

You'll need coil overs and some stiff springs. If you are on a budget you can use the CO sleeves and the stock upper if you weld a small piece of 2.5" tube in there. I've done it. I know alot of people say not to go over 250 for regular strut inserts (I do) but I would run 375-500 and big bars. Having soft suspension and body roll and sliding from left to right would not be my idea of fun. I would not run alot of camber in the rear either. It will just kill the insides. There isn't the same load on a tire of a car sliding sideways as there is in a hard corner.