HybridZ

Anyone with US-spec tail lights ever try a green bulb?

mull

So, has anyone tried putting green bulbs in your Z to get a orange indicator/flash/blink?

Just curious, since I have red (US-spec) tail lenses myself (although it's legal since the Z is old enough to have it)

and I started thinking that people might not notice the red flash since it's so uncommon in Sweden/Europe... : )

Just thought I'd check if anyone had tried the green bulb approach.

So, has anyone tried putting green bulbs in your Z to [b']get a orange indicator/flash/blink?[/b]

Did Mull write anything about looking "cool" or anything like that? I don't think so...

Philip, if I were you, I'd try to buy a set of Euro/JDM tail light lenses. Dunno if it would satisfy you though...

240Zeurob.jpg

They're available at http://www.datsunrestore.com.

why are u putting green in your tailights? does it look cool or something?

catread.jpg

Is this you? icon12.gif

Philip, if I were you, I'd try to buy a set of Euro/JDM tail light lenses. Dunno if it would satisfy you though...

http://www.datsunrestore.com/images/240Zeurob.jpg

They're available at http://www.datsunrestore.com.

I don't need new lenses. I have two sets of red US-spec that I'll be wet sanding, polishing and clearcoating. I was only wondering if anyone had

ever tried putting a green bulb in a Z to get orange indicators. That's all. Thanks anyway Gareth : ) I like my car being able to (legally) have red

lenses. Just being curious...

Looks to me like you will be charting new teritory with this... Just make sure you have good grounds for the tail light harness so you get the full power to the bulbs, the more layers of color you have to go through the less light there is for the person behind you to see. As a side note (and you are probably planning this already) make sure to fully polish or replace the reflectors in the tail light housings as well as clean and polish the lenses. On our cars they are still made out of a polished piece of metal rather than a chromed piece of plastic so they tend to corrode/rust and loose thier ability to reflect light as well as they used to.

Dragonfly

Looks to me like you will be charting new teritory with this... Just make sure you have good grounds for the tail light harness so you get the full power to the bulbs, the more layers of color you have to go through the less light there is for the person behind you to see. As a side note (and you are probably planning this already) make sure to fully polish or replace the reflectors in the tail light housings as well as clean and polish the lenses. On our cars they are still made out of a polished piece of metal rather than a chromed piece of plastic so they tend to corrode/rust and loose thier ability to reflect light as well as they used to.

Dragonfly

Actually, I'm thinking of not using reflectors at all, since I'm planning to make

some pretty little circuit boards - and pumping 'em full of LED(s)! icon10.gif I dunno,

guess you could coat the circuit board with some aluminium foil or something.

I'll make some prototypes when the time for the electrical comes.

Actually, I'm thinking of not using reflectors at all, since I'm planning to make

some pretty little circuit boards - and pumping 'em full of LED(s)! icon10.gif I dunno,

I run LED's for all my tail lights except the brake lights. The LED's are bright but because they have such a focused beam they do not disperse light that well. I use mine the way I do because I know people can see the LED's just fine at night and when I hit my brakes the incandescents come on like flood lights to wake up the person behind me.

As for the foil around the LED's that is actualy a good idea, what works best is to have the reflective material completely flat and about two times the width of the LED down from the tip, then at the edges of each LED grouping raise the reflective material up at about an 80 deg angle away from the LED's to a height of either two times the hieght of the LED above the reflecteve material or to the lens depending on your design. If you are inclined to do so (and since you are making your own LED boards) you can angle some of the LED's at 45 deg and some at 90 deg from the primary LED's then use a standard reflector to amplify the light from the angled LED's.

Dragonfly

Hey Mull, look at this if you need to calculation the resistors and led setup =)

http://led.linear1.org/led.wiz

Hey Mull, look at this if you need to calculation the resistors and led setup =)

http://led.linear1.org/led.wiz

Thanks a bunch! : )

Great stuff. I needed something like that! : D

By the way, how bright should red LEDs be for the tail lights? I was thinking

of getting some 60,000 mcd ones since they don't cost a lot nowadays. The

60k mcd ones could be dimmed with a PWM but if the 10k mcd LEDs wouldn't

prove bright enough, that would suck...

Thanks a bunch! : )

Great stuff. I needed something like that! : D

By the way, how bright should red LEDs be for the tail lights? I was thinking

of getting some 60,000 mcd ones since they don't cost a lot nowadays. The

60k mcd ones could be dimmed with a PWM but if the 10k mcd LEDs wouldn't

prove bright enough, that would suck...

you should be looking for 12mm wide LED's that are 60+ degrees in angle view. I don't think I've found powerful enough LED's that were smaller than 12mm. They should also be the brightest you can find.

They can be found on ebay from someone called Spectrum LED, and he pre-wires them for car use, but you'll have to rewire them in most cases.

Around this time he gets busy with requests from auto manufacturers to supply them with LED's as well, as he is a BIG supplier, but you should message him and he can better assist you.

you should be looking for 12mm wide LED's that are 60+ degrees in angle view. I don't think I've found powerful enough LED's that were smaller than 12mm. They should also be the brightest you can find.

They can be found on ebay from someone called Spectrum LED, and he pre-wires them for car use, but you'll have to rewire them in most cases.

Around this time he gets busy with requests from auto manufacturers to supply them with LED's as well, as he is a BIG supplier, but you should message him and he can better assist you.

I checked if I could find anyone called Spectrum led, wound up with someone

called "spectrumled" - is that him/her? Checked their auctions but didn't really

find anything spectacular(?).

Anyway, I found some 8mm LED's that pump out 45,000 mcd at 45° at a very

reasonable price, so I bought 50 of them. The last bunch I got for trial & error

were not that bright, nor had that much angle, so this should be interesting : )

Here are some pics from a year ago or so, those are 5mm LED's btw:

bakljus01.sized.jpg

bakljus02.sized.jpg

bakljus03.sized.jpg

This thread is getting way off topic, but since I'm the thread starter and it

seems no one has tried the green bulb approach, it might as well stray into

diy LED territory : )

Come to think of it, maybe I could sneak some amber LED's into the reverse

light section of the tail light? Hmm....

Hi Mull.

They look good in the pic, However, I would put some sort of reflective tape as a base before soldering them to the breadboard. just make sure that the reflective tape is not conductive, ofcourse :P

Many time's I've drove by a car, only to notice it a couple of meters in the distance because of it's chrome trim and reflection off the back of the tail lights. So that should be an indication of how well the reflective portion helps at night.

Are you sure they are wide enough angle?

Also, you'll want to make sure you get 640nm wavelength, as that is the purest RED in LED form, and won't make it look pink, like most DIY (and even some factory) LED tail lights I see on the roads today.

That spectrumled fellow seems like the right guy, but perhaps you should message him for more information.