HybridZ

Stroker Sticker Shock

ArnZ

I was not prepared to spend this for a mild stroker, I honestly thought that it would be about half of this amount being I am suppyling almost everything. Now what?

Labor performed to machine, assemble & balance 3.0 L

series motor

60hrs @ 120.00 7,200.00

Parts include, Rocker pivots, rocker arms, lash pads,

valves, valve seats, valve guides, seals, inner and outer

springs, cam up grade, all new gaskets and seals, all new

timing components, Oil pump, gears, guides and spindle,

up graded rod bearings, Block screen, main bolts, head

bolts w/ washers & dip stick. Does not include any

unforeseen parts.

Customer supplies rebuildable core motor with head including

89mm KA pistons, rods, stroker crank, Harmonic

balancer and flywheel.

$10,400.00

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thats what a good build motor will cost, if paying for it, for a HIGH end shop, not like most shops. Me being a buisness owner, people sometimes freak, when you tell them what things cost. Perfection cost money. With that said, I would not pay that, but would just have the machine work done, and assemble and clean, etc. myself.

Thats what a good build motor will cost, if paying for it, for a HIGH end shop, not like most shops. Me being a buisness owner, people sometimes freak, when you tell them what things cost. Perfection cost money. With that said, I would not pay that, but would just have the machine work done, and assemble and clean, etc. myself.

Oh I guess I missed the boat. I didn't realize that was with assembly. Still a huge boatload of cash.

I wanted to just have the machine work and balancing done. They basically told me that the engine has to be assembled to ensure that everything will be right. I thought that I could get everything balanced, the block bored and be on my way?

Im in the proces of puting together a stroker turbo motor , and the way i saved some money on the cost was i went around to most of the engine builders in my area and talked to them about me supplling most of the parts myself.of course some said no but i did find some that would.so the machine shop supplied pistons[forged je] bearings,gaskets[very good price] my cost for a fully asembled engine and balenced[lighten flywheel and ati dampner instaled] was 2300 dollars. so total i have about 5000 dollars into engine before install into my 72

I know Sunbelt does it right, As soon as you walk in thier shop, you just say WOW. There are more 911's in there than most Porsche dealerships.

The place is cleaner than a hospital.

I just want my block bored and everything balanced. Take my time, ask questions, and assemble myself.

I know Sunbelt does it right, As soon as you walk in thier shop, you just say WOW. There are more 911's in there than most Porsche dealerships.

The place is cleaner than a hospital.

I just want my block bored and everything balanced. Take my time, ask questions, and assemble myself.

Yep, your paying for what you see also, the backyard shop can do just as good as job for less money, but people see what LOOKS like a good shop so they pay more just for that.

Sunbelt is a large scale race engine development and manufacturing shop. They develop and build race engines to contract for BMW, Nissan, and Mazda so they are setup like a large, specialty manufacturing operation designed to build dozens of race engines to a specific homologation rule. If you've ever been in a NASCAR engine shop, the look is similar.

This $$$ is EXACTLY why I jumped onto the HybridZ bandwagon.

I am not building something I want to polish and look at all the time. I want to beat it like a redheaded stepchild, and then replace it when it is done.

I figured out that I can buy a GM-Performance crate motor for roughly the same amount it would cost to build a ~decent~ L-series. The GM engine comes with a warranty and ready-to-ship replacements. The bonus is that the GM motor will put out as much power as TWO L-series motors.

I have an L24 powered 240Z with triple Webers and some headwork. It is lively but it only gets 165 RWHP. It needs a fresh tune to do that. I'll likely keep the L-24 car and repaint it and detune it for street use.

The V-8 car is the one I want to drive on track. The little L-series can stay on the street.

Yep, your paying for what you see also, the backyard shop can do just as good as job for less money, but people see what LOOKS like a good shop so they pay more just for that.

I completely agree. I didn't look for the flashiest looking machine shop with all sorts of muscle cars. I looked around, made some calls. The one I went to wasn't the best looking, didn't have and show cars, but they talked me through every little thing that I was gonna get done. They took time out of there day to explain everything to me, and that was awesome. Besides that, they had done plenty of L's back in the day.