HybridZ

Hey computer people

G.I.jonas

Just wondering if anyone can guide me towards a fairly easy to use program that will allow me to make simple 2d animations of like mechanisms and moving parts.I dont know too much about this stuff,i do have a copy of auto cad that i dont know how to use and dont know if it would help anyway.I'm trying to find something that isnt like $700 for a cd lol...but what would you guys suggest?:icon56:

I don't know what your final goal is, so this might be totally off base. I've used them all from softimage and 3dsmax (needs a 2k machine lol) all the way down to good ol' GoogleSketchup. Anywho...

If you're just going for a very very basic 2D presentation, believe it or not Powerpoint could be used. Think of it as a flipbook. You make a new slide with the parts in a different position, then set Powerpoint to auto switch slides at a certain rate. If your end goal is simple enough, this would probably be the easist way with a ZERO learning curve (unlike aforementioned software, some of which almost need a college degree, ha!)

It really depends on what you're trying to do.

I agree, it depends on what you're trying to do. I thought you were after software that could do simulations of mechanisms, not just create a series of images.

As far as simulation software goes, 2D working model is about as simple and easy as it gets.

Yeah, that could be animated. Like I said earlier you could make an object like shown above, copy the slide and move the parts to a different position, rinse repeat, and set powerpoint to auto advance through the slides at a set rate. It's a crude way to animate, but simple. I've been trying to find an example of a powerpoint animation to show you, but haven't come up with much. I know it can be done though, i've done it and seen it done on several occasions.

That link you posted above of the clock mech is flash, yes. If you can get the software and are willing to learn, flash would probably be the best way for a web/computerized distribution.

EDIT: Found some examples of people animating with powerpoint. Here's one using basic shapes (the animation starts a couple slides in, wait for it). Check out this website, they have some additional good examples.

I like technic lego.

But i usually get carried away and end up spending several hours building some big fat truck.

then i remember what i was supposed to be doing, and start again, but by then, i have allready lost interest in it, and put it down for another day.