HybridZ

See my pain? wrong clutch:(

big-phil

I am starting to hate my ACT unsprung 6 puck clutch, so I bought a new ACT sprung 6 puck clutch disk!! Put the car on the lift, took the tranny out, went to put the new clutch disk in........wrong one! I ordered the turbo one which is the bigger one. I forgot I have the smaller flywheel:( Talk about depressing. I had to put it all together like it was arrrrrrrrr!

New disk $160, to change for the bigger flywheel $550+ I'm going to send it back and order the right disk, I'm so bummed.

550$? for what?

Fidanza 240mm flywheel is 285$ http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Fidanza-flywheel-Nissan-240Z-260Z-280Z-280ZX-Pickup_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33732QQihZ004QQitemZ140190516055QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

(That's a great deal, normal street price was about 350$ until a couple of ebay guys started selling for cheap.)

The only other part you need is a 12$ throw out bearing collar from Courtesy Nissan....

Go for it man, you won't regret it! I'm actually in the process of putting a new friction plate on my extra Fidanza and putting it on my 76 this morning.

i hate my ACT full faced sprung clutch disc.

I have not been able to have it fully disengage for 1st/reverse ... even with a new master cylinder (3/4") and a 11/16" slave from a pathfinder.

hate it

What throwout bearing collar are you running?

That's not the fault of the clutch disc.

i hate my ACT full faced sprung clutch disc.

I have not been able to have it fully disengage for 1st/reverse ... even with a new master cylinder (3/4") and a 11/16" slave from a pathfinder.

hate it

I bet that makes for one very stiff clutch pedal... I am running a 6 puck spring hub with a Fidanza flywheel and a heavy duty pressure plate. I had the same problem as you discribed and I followed a similar route, my pedal was so stiff I actualy bent the pedal. After talking with an engineer at Willwood I bought one of their 3/4" clutch masters and a 3/4" stock Nissan slave put it all together and bled it, now it works perfect and does not feel like a full blown workout to drive.

Dragonfly

big-phil sorry about hyjacking your post.

PrOxLaMuS© I just thought of something else. One of the problems I had with the disimalar sizes between the master and the slave cylinders was that when I would push the clutch pedal all the way to the floor (first and reverse) I was actualy over extending the throwout bearing into the pressure plate fingers and causing binding in the clutch assembly. With you having very similar problems to what I had I would suggest that you pull yours and take a look to make sure there has not been any binding.

Dragonfly

thank you for your suggestions Dragon!

you may be right. I will check it out..

I do know that in 1st/reverse.. i can tell the clutch is not fully disengaged..

one example is sitting at a stop light with the clutch it.. i can feel the clutch chatter slightly.. and when i had bad u-joints in the half shafts they were clanking around. So its not fully disengaged.

Maybe ill try going back to the stock slave cylinder.. instead of the Pathfinder (11/16" one). Is the stock Z slave a 3/4"?

Is the stock Z slave a 3/4"?

Yes it is.

I am ruling out.. im definitly not over extending.. i tried all clutch positions im not moving far enough

Here is something else for you to try. Get under your car where you can see and reach the clutch slave. Pull the slave off then push the rod into the slave with you finger. If the rod is rock solid and will not push in your master is bad and needs to be replaced or you need to do some major adjusting of the clutch pedal inside the car (the adjusting rod for the pedal is pushing to deep into the master). If the rod pushes in with a slightly stiff but smooth travel all the way then your hydraulic system is fine and you need to check all your mechanical parts, the first being that the clutch fork with the slave installed is at a 90* angle (or slightly closer, acute angle) to the rod in the slave. If it is keep looking deeper, if it is greater than 90* then you need to check the collar that the throwout bearing sits on and check that the fork is not bent.

Dragonfly

(the adjusting rod for the pedal is pushing to deep into the master)

Dragonfly

I have found this to be an issue with some replacement master cylinders from Advance and Auto Zone. My clutch pedal in my 81 sits very high because I had to adjust it all the way up to get the rod to completely disengage the master cylinder. I was thinking about cutting the rod down, but then I worry I won't have enough movement to completely disengage the clutch. I like the Wilwood setups and especially Dragonfly's setup, but I don't know if I want to take the chance on buying the wrong parts and not having everything fit like it should or work properly for that matter being I'm using the stock tranny and hydrolics.