HybridZ

Defcon 2.5

They REALLY fill up the wheel well. I'll have to roll the fender lips a bit more and trim the rear side of the front spoiler. I can barely squeeze my little finger between the tire/rim and the 2.25" coil over spring perches in front and back, but they fit and I didn't want to put flares on the car. If I'm going to be beating up Porsches I want them to think (a least for a little while) that its only a slightly modified 240Z.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Update:

Well... I ended up having to do some significant flaring to the car (ZG flares) and I've decided to go with 16 x 10" wide custom BBS wheels and 275/45-16 Hoosiers. Its a long story and it involves a Viper and a wager.

Anyway, the brand new wheels you see up above are for sale, with or without the brand new Hoosiers (245/45-16 R3S03). Look for an ad in the For Sale section tomorrow.

Guest ShelbyZ

The wheels are really sweet, John. They look GOOD on your Z. Do you have any pics from the rear of the car? The new wheels you ordered sound really nice also!

I am still waiting on my wheels that I ordered in January. They are 16x8 with zero offset. I was looking at the pics of your car because I was trying to figure out what size of tire I would be going with. I don't have coilovers like you have, instead lowering stock diameter springs.

I have a set of the zg flares that were purchased from MSA. I'm told they were made by Classic Datsun and after doing a trial fit on my 73 240Z. It seems like they cut too much off of the outer lip where it meets the body. The flares have to be "rocked" forward to get them to fit very well at all on the fronts. And they will need alot of work to get them to fit correctly. On several of the overseas sites I noticed two different sizes of the flares. A small size like stated above and then a larger set. I was wondering which flares you are considering? Or are you making your own? I'm either going to have to rework these alot or find some place that makes better flares.

We need to see pics of the new wheels when ya get them on the car with the flares.

Keep ZZZZZZZZZing,

ShelbyZ :D

Guest Anonymous

the ZG flares are the larger bolt-on flares, actual nissan product (has its own part number) there were also bolt on flares for non gnose cars, which were added by owners. i believe these are the smaller ones, i too have bolton flares from msa and they just dont fit right. im currently looking for a real gnose and bolton flares from japan or austrialia. i've never gone wrong with authentic. (not to mention my fender mirrors tongue.gif )

I took a couple quick shots of the ZG flares on my car. I used Volkswagon fender welting to clean up the seam between the flare and the fender. Rivnuts and stainless button head bolts hold the flares on the car.

Here's the front, notice the trimmed front spoiler. I'm going to clean that up a bit and then later replace the spoiler with a carbon fiber splitter.

8538707.jpg

And here's the rear.

8538713.jpg

I don't have any long shots yet. I'm in the middle of the Thrash to get the car done for the MSA autocross and the OTC.

Guest Anonymous

That is an excellent idea with the vw welting, exactly what it was made for. Where are those ZX flares from John? I didn't know they were that wide in back, thats pretty cool I could live with a set that deep. Nice job.

Regards,

Don AKA Lone

• 9 months later...
Originally posted by johnc:

Update:

Well... I ended up having to do some significant flaring to the car (ZG flares) and I've decided to go with 16 x 10" wide custom BBS wheels and 275/45-16 Hoosiers. Its a long story and it involves a Viper and a wager.

Any chance we get to hear that "long story"? smile.gif I'm hoping it ended in your favor :D