HybridZ

Ever notice that old Z's are pretty much loved by everyone?

Regulatori

I noticed this whenever I go driving....it seems I get smiles from just about everyone. Young, old, V8/Muscle Car lovers, classic car guys, teenagers that are into Hondas, etc..etc..

Back when I had my Honda Civic (modified) a lot of people disliked it because of the stereotypes associated with the morons that drive them. Then when I had my Porsche 911 I got the "must be a rich daddy's boy" treatment (even though I paid for it myself) from everyone...and a lot of people instantly thought I was a stuck up prick.

But with Z's, there isn't really any negatives associated with it from anyone. I get thumbs up from V8/Muscle car guys because the engine rumbles/rwd. Kids love it because it's sporty looking (not sure why but I always get smiles/waves from 10-12 year olds). Teenagers into Honda/Toyota's like it because it's a classic import and old skool cars are now cool to like. Women think it's "cute."

Kind of cool really.

everyone i know that has seen it has liked my car, as junkie as it looks.

except for kids who only know that datsun=bad

i dont know where the idea that datsun's are cheap came from

but when they SEE the car they're like "ZOMG NO WAI"

a lot of customers have stories about people they know/themselves that have owned Z's, and they all love them still (i work at starbucks)

no one so far has said "ew, you drive a datsun Z" like i got with my old 62 bug haha.

Guest TeamNissan

Well I mean for starters us in the tristate (300sq miles)have like what? 10-20 s30 owners? Beyond that this is honda country, if not honda then the kind of domestic fan that thinks anything japanese is junk, again the honda influence. The biggest z club in the area is primarily purist. I'm not saying NOE ONE likes the z, many people are curious and nostalgic about when they were kids and saw them. All and all though I feel there is a serious lack or respect and recognition. I'm city bound though maybe out in the stix its dif.

One thing I can say that is not opinion at all is ownership of ALL z's in nj,ny,pa,del,ct is still FAR less then JUST cali yet a far greater population. The reg. proves that.....

I was completely amazed when I began making s30 friends around here because the sad fact of the matter is you just never see them on the road.

actually, i remember when i went to the scottsdale pavilions with another forum member, we ended up parking our Z near the Fbody's (only spot we could find) and we left our cars to go walk around, i saw our cars a bit later, and they had quite a few people around them, taking pictures and such (my 78 looks like crap too)

when i got there i had a few people stop to take pictures of my beater Z. it felt kinda nice haha.

Guest TeamNissan

Ya I mean thats me, if I see one I don't know in ANY condition I'll spend a good 20min investigating and people look at me like I'm a nut job.

yeah, i wanna do the same haha. i just thought it was interesting to see how many people were standing around my z, looking all over it. the thing looks like hell. the interior is totally burnt, and there's nothing shiny or nice about it.

but then again, it IS a Z.

there's somethin about Z's that attract people. whenever i see a nice Z with an airdam, watanabe's, and zg flares, i kinda stare at it for like, 5-10 minutes, thinking "is this REALLY a 30 year old car?" i'm not sure what it is, but an old Z has something about it that makes it look younger than it is.

probably that sexy rear fender XP i LOVE those curves.

tl;dr i ramble a lot.

I tend to agree with teamnissan about the scarceness of early Z's in the Northeast, but there are definitely more then 10 - 20. The classic car scene in Connecticut primarily revolves around american muscle cars and for that reason imports are usually looked down upon. Though you don't see many Z's driving around on a daily basis, I do get an occassional comment, mostly, that the person either owned a Z or had a childhood friend / relative that did. I think most period Z's that ventured into the northeast were claimed by rust along long time ago. May they rest in peace.

Z’s are even rarer in the Midwest! In the past 8 years, I have seen one of the road, one in a used car lot, one in a parking lot and three in a garage (those three belong(ed) to a HybridZ member). But on business trips to Los Angeles, I typically see at least one Z per trip.

Z’s are old enough to be distinguishable from the modern imports, so that even diehard Midwestern muscle car fans tend to give them at least glancing appreciation. But V8Z’s are another matter entirely: they’re disdained by the domestic and the import crowds alike. But that, I suppose, was one reason what this site was started!

Some one called my z a z28 today. They walked up while i was finishing the rear struts and said "nice z28, how long have you had it" i just looked like wtf where is a z28??? i said its not a z28 and that its a 240z. the guy said "ohhh" i have a old school my self a 442 olds" then i went back to work and he left.

Guest rbpoweredsileighty

i drove my fully sanded down body dust all over the glass 81 to the gas station to fill up and i had 10 something people say nice car and give me the thumbs up... its a respect thing for most people when they see a old car like this and older they get heart warmed, for me... its all about the History.

I always smile & shake my head at them when I see them ...............

because I know that the thing could have one of god knows how many different motor/trans/suspension combinations in a very light chasis .

Theres just no way of knowing until you get close to it & listen to it or meet the owner.

I completely agree,

I cant drive my Z anywhere without gettings waves, smiles, or a great conversation when I stop...

I live in NASCAR country (I kid you not our police cars say "race city USA") so most guys around here into muscle cars. So im continually amazed at how EVERYONE I have met respects the Z its pretty crazy really everyone from Chevy guys to honda "kids". It also amazing how many conversations start with... "Yup I used to have one of those... sure was fast" and then I get to pop the hood and tell them how fast it is now :)

Back when I had my 260z the first show I went to was a local muscle car/hotrod show. I got lots of neat comments and when they started calling outthe top 15 awards I couldnt beleive it when I got one!!

Haha and maybe Mikelly will chime in on this one. When they were in town for the aero testing we went out to dinner at a steak house. We roll in me in my 240z and him in his Porshe Turbo. Before I could get out of the car two kids came over to me oogling it and asking what it was etc, wanted to see the engine and everything....I would have been oogling the porshe myself lol. ANyway stuff like that happens almost everytime I pull her out, Just another reason I love driving a Z.