HybridZ

Bamboo bike project

zero

Thanks everyone. Also, incase anyone cares, here is my other fixie. It is a 70's atala road bike. It was given to my by my father, who rode it in manhattan when he bought it new. I stripped it to bare metal, gave a brushed finish with sandpaper, painted lugs and clearcoated.

n1106806_31629340_8428.jpg

n1106806_31629339_4158.jpg

I actually work as a Design Engineer for a bike company called Felt Bicycles. We do a few Fixed gear bike. http://feltracing.com/08/product.asp?catid=1504,1525&pid=8717

All of them come with a "peanutbutter" wrench with a bottle opener built into it. It mounts to the seat tube braze-ons with wingnuts. Good beer and bikes go together quite well.

monzter, as an engineer at such a great bike company what do you think of our bike. Any suggestions?

I think it looks great. Remember safety, not to sound like an old fart (I'm not), but it is the most important consideration in my opinion. It doesn’t matter how cool or light it is if it isn’t safe. With that in mind keep a close eye on the joints to make sure you do not have any issues with the wraps. If the frame starts feeling "soft" hang it up. With the BB installed backwards you may have to use some locktite on the BB threads and pedal threads to keep them from loosening.

Again great job, you should try some tig welded steel next time. It looks like your miters are done well.

Best Regards

Jeff

Flippin sweet! and at under 15 pounds!

I've been looking at building my own frame for my slow going fixie project and bamboo might just be the way to go considering the experimental nature of my neglected project.

Lately I've been loving my 1972 Motobecane Grande Tourer. The previous owner bought it new in philly. he road it all through college, his first job and then in MS150's from then on until two years ago when I acquired it. I was going to convert it but I just cant bring myself to tear this perfect machine apart:

IMG_2029.jpg

Anywho, that Bamboo bike is beyond cool! congrats on a successful project!

well we're starting a business selling the bamboo frames. If you want one let me know.

Tempting, I'm trying to do this on the cheap...would you just sell the parts and I can jig it and assembly it myself? either way Its probably out of my price range but I'm curious for sure.

well, i would, but in order to get the tubes mitered id have to set em up on a jig with your dimensions, and if i dont miter them for you i wouldnt really be sending you much. If you can make a jig then you have done most of the work and i totally suggest you try to make your own. Bamboo is pretty plentiful around the country. If i can find it in jersey you can find it wherever you are, provided it isnt alaska. we ordered the carbon tape from an online retailer. the aluminum bits were just normal aluminum stock