HybridZ

Post you best/worst auotmotive injury

Guest TeamNissan

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Worst one? I'll just go with most recent: Welding under the car with no gloves (like an idiot), giant blob of metal falls off and lands on my wedding ring. Nothing I can do but watch it cook my flesh and then the skin just melted off (would that be considered 3rd degree?). Surprisingly it healed up perfectly.

My worst was when I was working on my 1970 Chevy Nova SS. I was trying to loosen a bolt from underneath the car and was laying on the ground. I was pushing, not pulling on the wrench, and the radiator brace was right in front of my face. The bolt came loose and all of my stored energy throws my face into the brace. I split my brow open pretty bad. It just made things worse after I found out the motor blew.

I know this is supposed to be personal stories but this is just too good to not share. My buddy is a welder, doing steel erecting for large buildings. So of course he's gotten slag everywhere, but the worst, he was welding under a beam and a big ol' chunk of slag falls right towards his hip. His pocket happened to be propped open, channeling the metal inwards, to it's final resting place on the tip on his who-who-dangle. I know it wasn't a lie because his girlfriend was extremely upset, though she did say the scab kind of looked like George Washington...

I've had pretty good luck avoiding the blood and gore, but a few stand out:

One day things just weren't coming together for me. I kept banging my head into the swing arms on lifts, as I'd get called over to help and they didn't have the lifts high enough... Anyway, after about 7 whacks (full body weight and/or full strength of my back behind them) in the first hour, they sent me home because apparently I was staggering around looking rather vacant and somebody decided a little CYA was in order in case I'd gotten a concussion.

The other one was when we were moving some of the school's clip cars, and somehow I managed to roll one of their steel casters over my foot. Which was clad in a lightweight running shoe. How I never broke anything in that place is beyond me.

Wait, I have done the "stand up in the wrong place and take a chunk out of [my] back" thing at home.

And then there were the chemical burns from failing to wash my hands after tanking some parts and prior to taking a leak. That was fun. Taught me to use gloves though!

the worst injury I have had playing with cars was bad concussion, nicks, cuts and minor scrapes is just part of playing with tools.

Anyhow I was under the car removing a starter motor when I had this overwhelming urge to sneeze, now I'm sure you fellas know that when you sneeze there are a lot of involuntary muscle movements involved that you can't really consciously control.

I was under a chocked and jacked up FWD car from the front, changing a starter motor mounted on the side to the rear of the engine bay, I wiggled out when the urge started but didn't make it all the way out. the sneeze was one hell of a big one and I doubled up, my forehead actually left a dent in the sump and I had a goose egg and a split in the skin up just behind the hairline :P

Unknown victim in this one, (his karma really caught up with him.)

I have a lot of slate around my house, which needs sealing every year, much less costly to buy the sealer in 20 litre drums(about 5 gal), lasts a couple of years.It's clear, varnish like, strong petro chemical smell.

A couple of years ago noticed the drum had a small leak, the only thing I had to transfer it into was a empty oil drum labelled "synthetic oil 05-40".

several monthe later when cleaning out my garage, had the door open to the street, someone stole the drum.

Would have loved to have been about when they tried to get it out of their engine.:)-I think impossible.

the worst injury I have had playing with cars was bad concussion, nicks, cuts and minor scrapes is just part of playing with tools.

Anyhow I was under the car removing a starter motor when I had this overwhelming urge to sneeze, now I'm sure you fellas know that when you sneeze there are a lot of involuntary muscle movements involved that you can't really consciously control.

I was under a chocked and jacked up FWD car from the front, changing a starter motor mounted on the side to the rear of the engine bay, I wiggled out when the urge started but didn't make it all the way out. the sneeze was one hell of a big one and I doubled up, my forehead actually left a dent in the sump and I had a goose egg and a split in the skin up just behind the hairline :P

Whenever I just barley tap my head my kneejerk reaction is to slam backwards Im learning the hard way to not do that. concrete hurts

well, the one i remember the most was my 2nd day on the job as a fresh 1st year apprentice mech.

I was working with another bloke, and we were doing a service on a mid 90s' maxima, i was doing the fuel filter, that needs the hose loosened from the top, then raised up and loosened from the bottom and removed.

the other bloke had left me there to do it while he went to get some parts.

I had raised the car up, after removing the top pipe, and then cracked the bottom pipe.

the fuel that was in the filter, came gushing out, over the crows foot, and down the ratchet extension, right into my face and open eyes.

I dropped the ratched, said something, and ran outside to the emergency shower and began rinsing my face.

The tech comes back, and asks the bloke on the hoist next to me, "where'd the kid go?"

the bloke replies, "well, he was doing the filter, and all i heard was 'f&^k, my eyes, my eyes, it burns' and he ran off.

Maybe he's out having a smoke"

it took a while to live it down, but thats part of being an apprentice huh.

i have done plenty worse then that, but that is the one i allways remember.

Oh, and after reading all of these, i see a startling connection between many of them.

burned wedding rings?

so, proof that marriage really is pain. :lmao: