HybridZ

Will 17x8" wheels fit my 240 with stock suspension? Wha

Hi folks,

I'd like to order some 17x8" wheels but I need definitive answers on "YES they WILL fit....you will need THIS BACKSPACING" or "FAHGETTABOUTIT JASON"

My 240 has stock struts and brakes with unmodified wheel wells (so far anyways). With the short sidewall of a 17" tire can i squeeze a 17x8 in there with no rub?

Thanks!

Jason

Hi Jason, Sorry to tell, but no 17x8's won't fit with stock coils. I had 17x7 centerlines with 4 inch backspacing .they fit with stock susp. I mounted them with 235-40x17 Kumo tires.You have to roll the lips of the fenders. Now that I converted over to coilovers 17x8 fit in the back with plenty of clearwnce.

There are two threads on the same subject, but I thought I'd answer this here to clear things up.

I bought Big Phil's wheels, and the 17x8s he had made do fit back and (according to him) front.

They measure about 4.625" from the mounting face to the inner lip. The wheel is about 9.25" from lip to lip.

I can't take any measurements on the car, because my suspension isn't on the car at the moment :D

Guest freakypainter

i have 17 x 8.5 momos on my 76 280 with the stock suspension. the trick is they are a front wheel drive offset and i had to get 1 1/4 inch adapters to keep the wheel from hitting the front strut, they actually fit in the stock bodylines with no flares. you can actually order the adapters to fit any bolt pattern of any wheel wich greatly increases the selction to pick from. for instance if u wanted a wheel made for a honda (4 x 100 bolt pattern), u can order the adapters to go from 4 x 4.5 to 4 x 100. the downfall is they cost me $250, they had to be made from billet aluminum. there are supposed to be some cheaper cast aluminum adapters available but they arent as strong and might be prone to cracking under stress.

I have looked throught ALL the archives using search and I found very little info about 17" wheels with stock struts (tons regarding coilovers tho). The little info I did find was conflicting or vague. It looks like the max BS is 4"-4.5", and I havent found any info regarding an 8" rim fitting in the stock wheel well.

Any help would be greatly appreciated here. I need to act fast!

Ok thanks everyone. I suspected it would be a mixed response. Unfortunately the rims I want that are on sale are only available in 17x8...so Id have to get coilovers to make them work. Now I have to decide if its worth it. Save $$ on rims...and dump it right back into coilovers :mad:

BTW ZYA,

What ever happened to your convo-pros?

Jason

I'm guessing 17x8's may fit but that back spacing is crucial--to see if they will fit remember that from lip to lip wheels measure approximately 1 inch larger than they are rated e.g 17x8's are 9 inches wide. A relatively easy way is to measure out a 9 inch wide piece of cardboard and with the wheel off put it under the wheelwell and see if it fits in various positions. If it does you should be able to make those wheels work assuming offset is correct and assuming you do not get tires wider that 9 inches. Go to sits like www.bfgoodrichtires.com and you can get exact tire height and width specs (from sidewall to sidewall).

Anthony

Jason, I still have the convo pros and am going to keep them. I have gone through so many ideas on how I want the Z to look. From flaires with 17's, 17''s with no flaires, and the look I have now. I am now coming to the conclusion that I am going to stay with the look I have now. The main thing I want to do with this car is wax local vettes,vipers and Porches from stoplights and run fun nights at the local dragstripe. I want the car to 60 foot hard on the street and with 17's and 40 series tires it not going to happen! I thought about running the 17's around town but thats when you will meet at stoplight with your local Viper ! So I am staying with the 235/60/15 BFG drags and convo pros! But with the way I am I may change my mind by next week! malebitchslap.gif

Yea Zya I feel your pain. Ive been the same indecisive way with the design/look of my Z. I think I am settling on doing 17's with MSA street flares (bolted on). 17x8 front and 17x9.5 rear with the tires tucked into the flare. I havent seen a car on 17s with these flares yet, so it would be some what unique. Also, Im VERY much a drag racer at heart and thought long and hard about the loss of sidewall with 17s and came to a conclusion. #1 is I shouldnt be draggin on the streets often enough to need a drag tire! #2 is 10" width of soft compound street tire should able to do the job as long as I dont mat it. But..if for some reason the car is a smoke show..Ill have to seek alternative means of traction. Either way it should look tuff i think flamedevil.gif

I'll be sure to post them. Might be awhile tho as life has been busy lately. One thing that kinda erks me is the ol "zero offset is a must". I've heard that the Street Flares are 3" rear and 2" front, so to keep the tires in front and rear the same distance from their flares Im gonna have to do a 17x8"-3.5" BS front and a 7x9.5"-4" BS rear. Obviously neither front or rear are close to 0 offset, but I dont think .5" difference BS between the two will do anything major. But, Im no suspension pro...I guess Ill have to learn the hard way and hope for the best :confused:

Yeah, The street flairs look nice. If I went to 17's I was going to go with 17x10's in the rear with 17x7's up front with no flairs. I have seen the imsa flairs bolted on and they look pretty cool as well. Since I am going with the 3000 stall and spray I am gonna need the tall sidewall for the hook. As we all know on the street and track the race is usually won on the start! Good luck with your z and send me some pics when its done!

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Anonymous

I think I've talked to alot of you on the phone regarding Center Line's wheel deals. I realize this is not a forum for advertising but so many of you have called that I was looking for a way to reach you all at once. For those of you who are interested we can do 17x7 and 17x8 in the following styles: Aztec, Pintail & Rhino. The only catch is we need at least an 8 wheel order for a certain style b/f we can manufacture it. So feel free to call & I can try to match you up w/ someone or talk amongst yourselves. Cost is $450 for 17x8 & $440 for 17x7 (16" also okay - slightly less $). I'm at 800-345-8671 x242. thanks,

Thanks for joining and posting, Nicole.

I see no problem with you posting about this topic. Wheels with a Datsun Z bolt pattern and backspacing are so hard to buy new that I welcome this kind of info and offer for help. I'm sure others do too!

Regards,

Hey I just bought a set of 17 x 8's. Nicole sounds pretty hot.....couldn't talk her into coming to NC though.

Thanks to Nicole and Centerline for helping us wheel-challenged Z-car guys out and offering to make a special run.

John