HybridZ

Mechanical Engineers? Modifying JTR Mounts for More Offset/Math Calc.

• Administrators

Summary...

If I wanted to offset the standard JTR mounts an additional 2" rearward, what is the necessary material thickness to achieve equivalent rigidity?

Why...

Today's EMS's commonly allow us to delete the distributor, which is the principal physical limiting factor with respect to engine location. Deletion allows a more reward location of the drive-train.

Nitty Gritty...

The JTR brackets offset the drivetrain rearward 3.5". If I wanted to increase that to 5.5", 57% increase center-center, I would need to increase the bracket thickness from .3125" to ???

Knowing that any material, doubled in thickness, results in 8x rigidity (increases with the cube, correct?), increasing the thickness to .375" should more than cover it with a 73% gain in stiffness... 20% greater thickness = 1.2^3 = 1.728.

Am I looking at this right? Considering lateral and vertical loads, does it matter that they are mounted on a 45 degree, or is that 'no factor' in this scenario?

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Ron,

If you post up a drawing (or sketch) of the bracket and the loading conditions, I can create a solid model and run it through an ANSYS FEA solver I have here at work.

...if you're interested I can vary the thickness and give you the results respectively.

Cheers, -Hugh

This is an area to use "more than needed" because we are not too concerned with a pound or two extra. Also do not use a brittle grade of steel. Brittle steel (or anything) does NOT belong on cars...or bridges. You will get FAR MORE strength per pound by the SHAPE of the piece rather than the thickness of the material. ie. gussets, bosses, trusses, ribs. Common sense makes good engineering also.

In order to solve the equation with a solid number result, you would need all the knowns; weights, torque, safety factor, engineering drawings, material specs, weld strengths..freebody diagrams...ughh...I am going to go with the "Make it extra strong!" solution to save the legwork. A good CAD program will do it but you still need DATA.

A photo of the existing setup would help to guesstimate.

We need a drawing in order to run it through a FEA (finite element analysis) program. We also need to know the material of construction (or asume cheap carbon steel). I would recomend whoever is doing this analysis to keep under the 1x10^6 cycles stress values for fatigue calculations.

• Administrators
To move 2" to the rear, you need to get rid of the distributor and cut out/major BFH the firewall.

Hows this for BFH? :mrgreen:

BFH.jpg

Thanks for the offer Hugh. I'd hate to see you spend all day on something like this. I'd probably settle for sound advice, for or against 3/8" plate.

" I'd probably settle for sound advice, for or against 3/8" plate."

Ok your NEVER going to bend a 3/8" thick boxed or even correctly multi-gusseted & tig welded, steel motor mount simply because anything on the cars frame you bolt it or weld it TOO will bend first if enought stress is applied, you might also consider the potential stress and weight of the drive train are FAR below the tensile and sheer and torsional strength a correctly designed 3/8" steel mount less than 8" long will have

• Administrators

Ok your NEVER going to bend a 3/8" thick boxed or even correctly multi-gusseted & tig welded, steel motor mount simply because anything on the cars frame you bolt it or weld it TOO will bend first if enought stress is applied, you might also consider the potential stress and weight of the drive train are FAR below the tensile and sheer and torsional strength a correctly designed 3/8" steel mount less than 8" long will have

I hear ya Grumpy... makes sense. Here is part of my concern... If the brackets are completely ridgid, there should not be any rotational forces on the crossmember. But, if the offset brackets were allowed to flex, that would putting a twisting load on the crossmeber, yes?

• Administrators

First off, I realize you had asked for material thickness options, sorry as I do not have any answers regarding that. Though, a couple alternatives did come to mind and I hope you don’t mind me throwing them up here in this thread…

Possibly use mounts off the “front” of the block, using some isolator in the OE Datsun cross-member?…

ENGINEMOUNT-ART_L.GIF

Click ME for the mount below...

135-6023_L.jpg

546-185.F_L.jpg

916-18005_L.jpg

916-18012_L.jpg

Click ME for the isolators below...

720-9314_L.jpg

Some mid plate options...

917-11666_L.jpg

917-11663_L.jpg

• Administrators

Or something like these options?

Click ME for the eBay auction pictured below...

9f37_1.JPG

Here is another lightweight approach. This bracket resides between the water pump and block. This approach might need a mid plate as well, or you could possibly fab some brace that also attaches to the SBC mount pads on the side of the block and ties into this bracket?

ford_35.jpg

• Administrators

Possibly use mounts off the “front” of the block, using some isolator in the OE Datsun cross-member?…

Now I hadn't thought of a front mount. Hmmm... gotta look into that.

This one is catching my eye...

135-6023_L.jpg

... looks to be stout enough longitudinally as well.

Thanks!

• Administrators
Why not just cut the original motor mount brackets off and move them back 2 inches or do away with the JTR setback plates and move the original motor brackets back even further?

I would prefer to mount the engine to the crossmember. The load paths of frame mounting don't really excite me.