HybridZ

Flasher question....

Where is the flasher unit for the hazard lights? my directional blinkers don't flash, and I want to test with a working unit before I go out and buy a new one, in case it ends up being the switch. Thanks :D

Oh, and what repair manuals do you guys use? I have a copy of the FSM, but to be honest, it sucks.

oh, its a '73 240 btw.

If it is in the same location as the 260 it is on the drivers side on the outside wall. There are 2 flashers, one for turns and one for signals. I thought I had a problem with mine when it just quit working. Found out there was no power to it. I ran a new wire and it works great now. I seamed like no one carries the flashers.

Well, there is power, as the lights are atleast coming on, but they stay constant. Driver's side you say? I'll check that out.

Anyone have a manual on tuning Mikuni carbs as well? Or for that matter a Mikuni that they don't want/need anymore that I can play around with to figure out how it works?

For stock, I thought there was one flasher and the Hazard switch controlled whether it controled one or both sides? I'm probably wrong, but that's what i've gathered...

I don't have any stock wires in my Z...

Considering that my hazards work properly and my directionals just stay on constantly, I don't think that is the situation. Of course, this would be easier if the factory shop manual told you were the hazard flasher unit was so I could test that one in place of the directionals :icon55:

I had the same problem on my Z. Replaced the bulbs and they work great now!

I cant remember if this helped the blinking problem or not, but I made sure both little bulbs in the back of the tachometer had a good connection. I think that just helped it blink faster though.

hmm, thats weird. I'm not thinking it is the bulbs, just cause the hazards work fine (they run on the same bulbs as the directionals, right?). Which little bulbs behind the tach are you referring to (I haven't really poked around back there enough yet), are you just referring to the ones that light up the tach when you turn the lights on? Thanks.

The hazard flasher on my 71 is on the passenger side under the dash. On the 73 I robbed some parts from, it looked like all the relays and flashers were on a metal plate on the passenger side kick panel (should have a g/w blu/w wires connecting to it). They are only $3-$4 and just a common 2 prong flasher (TS and 4 way are the same unit). I would say that is your problem. The Z's are designed not to flash when one of the bulbs is out, so it could be that you have bulbs out on both sides, but since the 4 ways work, it most likely is the flasher unit.

• 10 months later...

Nope. Don't have the time to track down wiring gremlins (which this seems to be), and I'm considering a LCD swap that I saw on here, which would mean even more changes needed.

I *might* do it this winter if I can scrounge the time. Graduating in May has basically sucked up everything.